Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track bar issues

I think that i have isolated the "pop" noise in my steering. I think that where the track bar mounts to the frame is moving when i turn or hit certain bumps. Is this something i have to deal with or are my adjustments off?

so the bolt is loose?
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

thats what it was at first but i tightened the crap out of it and even put a locking nut on top of the one supplied and still get a pop noise...

Comment

so the hole in the mount may be wallowed out. have it checked by a shop or someone with first hand knowledge of problems like these.
        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

That bolt needs to be tight. It seems to be the source of death wobble for many. If your also using the stock bolt you may try another grade 8 bolt. If I remember correctly the stock bolt's diameter get smaller in the middle where there's no threads which could be allowing the hiem joint to move slightly making the popping noise.
          I change my RE trackbar to the Currie trackbar (that's a story in it's own) which has a slightly larger bolt that fit the hole fairly tight was I reamed it out.

B&T TJ

Comment

how tight should i make that bolt? Also i dont have a rear adjustable track bar, would it be a good idea to pick up one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
              how tight should i make that bolt? Also i dont have a rear adjustable track bar, would it be a good idea to pick up one of these?
              175 ft/lbs.

do you need one?
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

the instructions said 115 but i like your number better...thank you but no i got a wrench...

Comment

do you need an adjustable rear trackbar?
                  myJeeprocks.com

Comment

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the axle mount.
                    Did you have to drill out that hole for the RE trackbar? That was a PITA. I had to use some washers (grade 8) so the nut would tighten. There was a small lip on the mount making it tough and yeah 175#. (Wish I did the Currie instead) Life in Pandora's box, isn't it fun

B&T TJ

Comment

yeah had to drill, can try more muscle, but is the pop noise coming from the bolt shifting or is the bar binding up. (what i mean is the bar is new and I am worried that something else is happening there not just a loose bolt).

Comment

Hard to tell without being there. Try removing the bolt, make sure the matting surfaces are clean of burrs or debris, add a washer if needed then torque it down. If it continues work from there, one thing at a time.

B&T TJ

Comment

Working...
                        X