Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke Leave Spring

I broke my left rear leave spring on my 1974 CJ5. (Stock Springs) I've been trying to find a replacement but I'm running into some obstacles. My current leaves are 1 3/4" wide and there is only five of them. I found some that have 7 leaves and more, but if I put one that has 7 leaves on then my jeep would be lop sided since the other side would still only have 5 leaves. Is it ok to replace just one side or should I replace both? I don't want to spend a lot of money right now but would like to replace all leaves (front and rear) but money wise this is not a good time so I would prefer just to replace the one side that's broken.
    Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 06-30-07, 02:30 PM. Reason: pic didn't show

replace both at the same time.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Rubicon Express or Deaver make excellent springs.
      :wink:

Comment

Replace both and get new U bolts.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

I found some stock leaf springs at JC Witney's for $99 bucks, but they don't come with the U bolts. It's also 7 leafs as opposed to my 5 leafs, so I'll go ahead and order the two back ones so everything is the same as you guys suggested. Since the U Bolts I have now would be to short since there's two extra leafs with the new ones how do I order U bolts so that there not to short or to long? There's also a bolt that goes down through the middle of the springs.. what bolt is that called?
          thanks for the help.

The link shows the broken leaf spring.
          http://www.fontanafitness.com/myjeep.htm

Comment

Yikes! Yep, replace both springs. The other side is probably fatigued as well anyway. The "center pin" is the bolt you're referring to and it will come with the new springs. If you buy u-bolts that are correct for your year/model Jeep they will be long enough. You will just need to cut off the excess length after it's bolted up. Don't bother trying to find bolts that are exactly the length you need, just cut them down.
            Even if your old u-bolts were long enough, it's not recommended to re-use u-bolts. They stretch and weaken.
            Mike in Vista
            1942 Willys MB, 1956 Willys Wagon

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! One more question: If I decided to go SOA would I need anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                Thanks for all the feedback! One more question: If I decided to go SOA would I need anything else?
                ASTON??? :dunno:
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

O.o...um...maybe re-adjust the driveline. Springwise, just re-weld the perches, buy dampers according to the lift the SOA will provide. CJ5's have a great deal of tire clearance STOCK. With an SOA you're looking at like 4 to 5 inches of lift, you might wanna buy new tires too! Buy yeah, re-adujusting you driveline is a biggie, cause your drastically changing the angle of you driveshaft. O.o am I missing anything?
                  WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
                  [_____]
                  (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                  []--o---[]

Comment

I found some stock springs from JC Whitney's for $99 bucks. I also found some Rancho Performance Lift Leaf Springs with a 2.5 inch lift for $108 bucks. I was told by a local automotive repair shop that I could go up to a 3 inch lift before I had to start making any alterations. Can anyone give me any advice as to what they think....... should I go with a little lift as opposed to stock. I would like to put some 33's or 35's inch tires on in the future.
                    thanks for any feedback.
                    Dave

Comment

Found this site on the net..... tell me your thoughts
                      http://www.holbrookspecialties.com/longleaf.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                        I don't want to spend a lot of money right now
                        Looks like you might be headed in a different direction now. The Holbrook springs are quite expensive. I know of some people using these springs that are happy with them and I considered getting them for awhile myself when I was looking for new springs. I was a little worried about such a long spring being more prone to rock damage. If you can find some side shots of a Jeep with these springs on it, you will see what I mean. I have no first hand experience with them though.
                        Mike in Vista
                        1942 Willys MB, 1956 Willys Wagon

Comment

<Holbrook springs>

Hmmm...don't like it. If you are gonna' do all that move the rear axle back and stretch the wheelbase.

I mash the spring brackets in the stock location, moving them to a more exposed position is not a good idea.

:poop:
                          Last edited by aston; 07-15-07, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                            ASTON??? :dunno:

SOA...you get lots of lift in a hurry...6" or so: the axle dia, spring pack height plus mount. Also the springs are moved to a less exposed position...all good so far.

However, there are a few unintended consequences: brake lines, shock length, driveshaft length/angle, steering geometry and perhaps the biggest PITA axle wrap. (I'll assume you have already dumped the track bars and the antiroll bar)

Apart from that it's a piece of piss.

Comment

Working...
                            X