Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle shift

After installing my lift I noticed that my axles stick out farther on the pass side than the driver side. It is a RE 4.5" SF short arm w/ adj uppers and fixed lowers. Is this normal, and if not do I need to fix it?

did you install new trackbars, or trackbar riser brackets? maybe the trackbars are pulling it outta wack...
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
      did you install new trackbars, or trackbar riser brackets? maybe the trackbars are pulling it outta wack...
      not maybe, definately. you need adjustable track bars. if you've already got them, they need to be adjusted. :wink: :wrench:
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

x2 need track bars. will *not* be a fun drive with the axles wanting to pull their separate directions over bumps. you may also whack bump stops against the springs during flexing making very uncomfortable noises.
        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
          x2 need track bars. will *not* be a fun drive with the axles wanting to pull their separate directions over bumps. you may also whack bump stops against the springs during flexing making very uncomfortable noises.
          good points dirtbag. :thumbs_up :wink: :yay: :cactus: errr... I mean mike...
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Please explain how I need to adjust, I get why just dont know how.

Comment

do you see a nut? threads?

need I go further??? :dunno:
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Adjust it...

|90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                  Adjust it...

By loosening the nut and rotating the rod end in or out you will move your axle left or right. On most tracbars every turn is 1/16th of an inch in or out.
                  :wink:

Comment

Thanks for the pix, what i meant was that i just keep turning it till the axle is even? where do I measure the distance at?

Comment

Yes just turn it till the axles are centered then tighten the jam nut against it... People might not like this but we just eyeballed mine and then measured the distance from the fender to the outside of the tire to get it centered for the most part.
                      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
                        Thanks for the pix, what i meant was that i just keep turning it till the axle is even? where do I measure the distance at?
                        center point of the tire at the top of the tire, from a similar point of the frame on each side.

also it looks like you need a bit more help:
                        you will probably need to remove one end of the track bar from the vehicle to adjust as there is no rotating collar assembly on most adjustable bars. it is preferred to remove the frame end. once removed, either turn the steering wheel or push the body until the axle is centered equally, adjust the track bar until the frame bolt hole lines up with the track bar joint, and then bolt the TB back into the frame. check it again to make sure it's correctly located and if not then take it off and do it again. once it's adjusted properly, make sure all the bolts are tightened down to the proper torque spec, and don't forget the nut on the track bar that you loosened to make the adjustment.
                        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

if you ever run a hardtop, adjust the back with it on.
                          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

You'll probably have to adjust it more than once. Seems they'll measure ok, then when you drive it and check it again it will be a little off. Being an XJ guy I only had to deal with one.
                            Looks like they still have that crappy tie-rod design on the TJ.
                            I swapped my stocker for the HD Rubicon Express kit which changed the axis of the upper trackbar mount.

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                              Adjust it...

:yay: Hee! Hee! Hee!:yay: Sorry, couldn't help it.
                              Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                              X