Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck pitman

I just put a re 4.5" short arm on and cant get the pitman arm off to put the new drop one on. Its power steering on an 03. It is very rusted, i sprayed it for a day with PB Blaster and nothing. What can I do?

Do you have a NAPA auto parts store near you? They rent tools, real cheap. Ask for a pitman puller or even a tie rod end puller will work. You have to make sure you pull that pitman arm very straight; there are splines on the shaft of the steering box, and if you get the arm cocked it will be even harder. Go slow and easy. Oh yeah, lots more WD 40. It's gonna take a lotta ASSSS! Be careful, but don't be afraid to put that ASSSSS behind it. And NO HEAT! THe shaft seal in the gear box will melt.

Kurt
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

stop.:wrench:

you don't need a drop pitman arm. put that nut back on, tighten the crap out of it and go get an alignment. :thumbs_up :yay:
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I plan on a 4.5" lift REALLY soon, and as Brian said, a drop pitman arm is NOT needed. Your drag link should be parallel with your track bar. Unless you have a "drop trac bar mount" you should not have a drop pitman arm unless you want bump-steer.
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

If you decide you want to get it off...get a pitman arm puller, the stronger the better obviously. I like KD tools, they are not too expensive and are fairly strong.

Anyway, install the puller and tighten it down: you will want a ton of pressure without deforming the puller. Then get a BFH and give the puller or the pitman arm a good whack. The combination of pressure and shock should break the joint. If not tighten the puller some more and whack it harder. You can try two hammers: one on each side.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
            stop.:wrench:

you don't need a drop pitman arm. put that nut back on, tighten the crap out of it and go get an alignment. :thumbs_up :yay:
            already got an alignment, but when i turn the wheel to the right where the drag meets the tie rod it is hitting my disco mount on the axle. Is it all possible that Big O messed up in the alignment?
            Last edited by DarkWolfTJ; 05-14-07, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
              already got an alignment, but when i turn the wheel to the right where the drag meets the tie rod it is hitting my disco mount on the axle. Is it all possible that Big O messed up in the alignment?
              it's possible but it wouldn't necessarily cause that problem.

are you still using the stock steering?

do you have adjustable lower arms? did they adjust them?

if so... it's possible they moved your axle to far forward.
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

only adjustable uppers. Steering is stock.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
                  only adjustable uppers. Steering is stock.
                  that's somewhat common with the stock steering geometry.

I'd (and have) grind off a bit of the sway bar bracket and/or get currie steering.
                  myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Working...
                  X