Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much?

How high can I lift before even a SYE/CV shaft won't stop vibes? It looks like I'll be getting a 4.5" RE SF lift, and I eventually want to do a tummy tuck... Would that combo be too much for the SYE/CV? If so, will the 4.5" kit with 3.5" springs be ok?
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

vibes won't be a problem with an sye/cv as long as you've got the pinion angle dialed in correctly.

you may run into over extension of a 1310 cv with a belly up skid. I've limited the downtravel of my rear dif to save driveshafts.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
      vibes won't be a problem with an sye/cv as long as you've got the pinion angle dialed in correctly.

you may run into over extension of a 1310 cv with a belly up skid. [COLOR=red]I've limited the downtravel of my rear dif to save driveshafts[/COLOR].

Would you mind elaborating on this?

Rat
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
        How high can I lift before even a SYE/CV shaft won't stop vibes? It looks like I'll be getting a 4.5" RE SF lift, and I eventually want to do a tummy tuck... Would that combo be too much for the SYE/CV? If so, will the 4.5" kit with 3.5" springs be ok?
        I run this kit currently w/ the 4.5 springs and had to get a new drive shaft.......if you are going w/ the 3.5 springs you MIGHT be ok. all RE kits measure out more than whats stated.......so you might get lucky

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
          Originally posted by blkTJ View Post

you may run into over extension of a 1310 cv with a belly up skid. [COLOR="Red"]I've limited the downtravel of my rear dif to save driveshafts.[/COLOR]

Would you mind elaborating on this?

Rat
          I think he means the slip-joint in the shaft might pull out if the axle droops/flexes too far? If so, maybe he limited his rear axle droop with limiting straps??? (Please fill in correct information Brian!)

Originally posted by FRMNJJ View Post
          I run this kit currently w/ the 4.5 springs and had to get a new drive shaft.......if you are going w/ the 3.5 springs you MIGHT be ok. all RE kits measure out more than whats stated.......so you might get lucky
          Do you mean you had to get a driveshaft w/ a double cardian joint instead of the stock one, or a new CV driveshaft than you had before the lift or tummy tuck that is longer than your first one?

Comment

most double cardan drive shafts will allow 25-35 degrees of movement without binding.
            this is an example of a "high angle" double cardan driveshaft. $$$
            the 25-30* max is what prompted Brian to use the limit straps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
              most double cardan drive shafts will allow 25-35 degrees of movement without binding.
              this is an example of a "high angle" double cardan driveshaft. $$$
              the 25-30* max is what prompted Brian to use the limit straps.

That's exactly what I was looking for Erik.... thanks!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to get (or borrow) an angle finder when I get the lift, SYE, CV, and tummy tuck on. I'm sure I'll be fine with the lift and the SYE/CV combo, but when I add on a tummy tuck down the road, I might run into problems!

Comment

i am not suggesting you get the one in the picture. it is for demonstration purposes only.
                from what i understand, it is less than dessirable on the road.
                you should be fine with the standard CV driveshaft, and limit straps. you can also grind out a bit more clearance in there to get the full 35*.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

you guys are on the right track. I was reffering to cv bind not overall driveshaft length.
                  myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Good to know, thanks Brian. I'll have to make sure my angle isn't too much once I get them both on! (Lift is still probably a couple months away, tummy tuck, at least half a year.)

Comment

yes, i got to the double cardigan one......easy lift to install yourself

Comment

Originally posted by FRMNJJ View Post
                        yes, i got to the [COLOR="Red"]double cardigan [/COLOR]one......easy lift to install yourself

Isn't that awful warm for SoCal?

Comment

Working...
                        X