Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versus

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a lift for Christmas for my '05 TJ. As long as I'm going to ask for one, I want to do it right the first time.

I know everybody and their mother recommends the Rubicon Express Superflex 4.5" kit (with 3.5 springs) and I'm sure it's highly recommended for a reason... I just haven't read why.

So to play devils advocate I looked to see what else was out there. (In the 4Wheel Parts Catalog)

The RE SF 4.5" kit is $1469 and does not come with shocks.

The "4Wheel Drive hardware" 4.5" kit is $1649. and does come with shocks.
    It also comes with more components rather than "drop brackets" and the pieces look as heavy duty if not more-so then the RE equipment.

The Superlift Rock Runner 4" kit is $1469 and also comes with shocks, and more components than the RE kit, and looks beefy as well.

There are also kits by Pro comp, Skyjacker, Full Traction, Fabtech, and Terraflex in most cases they are cheaper, but contain more brackets than replacement components and in some cases look more fragile.

Some kits include a TC drop kit, a nice feature but maybe not the ideal way to go.

SO...

Judging by components there are other kits that include more than Rubicon Express's kit. (ie. Trackbars front and rear, Adjustable upper & lower control arms, Pitman arms etc...)

From what I can tell looking at pictures, a few of the kits components look to be as stout as RE's stuff as well.

So what makes RE the way to go?

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~ (Devils advocate)

Here's reason enough for me to choose RE:

hehehe, just doooo it
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Heres another reason...

hahah
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Compare the links on each kit. What material are they made from? What is the OD and wall thickness? Are they using bushings? Poly or rubber? Heim joints? What size? Cartridge joints? Are the upper (or lower) arms adjustable? For the kits that include shocks, are they worth a fawk?
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes View Post
          Compare the links on each kit. What material are they made from? What is the OD and wall thickness? Are they using bushings? Poly or rubber? Heim joints? What size? Cartridge joints? Are the upper (or lower) arms adjustable? For the kits that include shocks, are they worth a fawk?
          these are all good points.

but...

:yay:
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Those pictures are all good ...if that wasnt enough to help you make youre decision...how bout this:

Dont forget what you said "I want to do it right the first time."

For the record, most of us have done it more then once. This was my second lift.

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

ok, pictures aside... I've had RE components for 3 maybe 4 years now. Everything has held up well, especially considering the type of wheeling I do. The only things I've replaced are the rubber bushings in one end of afew control arms.

as goodtimes said, you can buy much better shocks than are included in any kit. bilstiens are a good shock. OMEs are ok. Fox now makes a shock for oem TJ mounting.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Yes to the RE kits but if I did it again I might spent the bucks and get Currie. I've replaced a few things w/Currie so far, it's just twice the price, but probably worth it.

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                  Fox now makes a shock for oem TJ mounting.
                  Huh? You mean I don't really need to notch my frame and weld in ferd shock towers? That would be cool.....

KG6OWO

Comment

Well now we're getting somewhere... I was begining to think nobody liked me. heh heh

I'm sure I'd be happy with the RE kit but I ask these questions so myself and perhaps others may learn the differences between quality and a cheap price.

Things I hadn't taken into consideration was wall thickness of the components and bushing material. Thanks for pointing those out.

I'm sure any shock that comes with a kit isn't going to be worth a fawk... But it would "do" for a few months until you save up for better ones.

Are you really saving money by buying a "kit" or can you get better components at the same price by piecing one together?

What about the Cambells soup can bodylift?!? Is it worth it for a 4" BL? 'cause I'm really tired of eating tomato soup! (3 cans to go!)

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

Well you will be able to piece a set together for cheaper normally, that just takes a bunch of searching and time. But buy the kit is the way to go cause if any part is defective etc... then you can always just send it back to whomever your kit is made by. Plus you know they came off the line and were packaged and shipped out to you. so theyre all nice and new. haha GO WITH RE!
                      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Wait for a sale....it is generally cheaper, easier, and far less of a headache than piecing junk together. I lifted my jeep for under $2K (RE 4.5" SF kit, 285/75R16 MT/R's, Tom Woods CV driveshaft, crappy shocks). The only used item I purchased was the tires (80% tread remaining).

Install was so much easier than stuff that has been pieced together....everything lined up, no missing parts, no trying to figure out how to get different parts to work together, didn't have to spend an entire day cleaning someone elses used junk only to find out that it was completely worn out, no spending money replacing bushings/heim joints/whatever....it was so much easier to install that kit than some of the used &/or pieced together lifts that I have installed for people in the past. "headache factor" was reduced by 95%, and THAT is worth the few extra pennies you spend to get the right stuff the first time.

JMO--

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes View Post
                          Huh? You mean I don't really need to notch my frame and weld in ferd shock towers? That would be cool.....
                          nope...

fox oem
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                            nope...

fox oem
                            Nice!

To bad I'm right in the middle of saving all my $$$ for the Arctic Ocean trip next summer.

KG6OWO

Comment

Another thing a lot of people don't consider is customer service. A couple weeks after I had my lift I lost a bolt and washer on my swaybar disconnects due to a lack of locktight. I called RE to order replacements. I talked to the rep and told him what I was missing and he took my address and said he would get the parts out that day. When the package arrived I thought they sent the wrong thing because the box was to big for a bolt and washer. They had sent me a whole replacement sway bar disconnect kit free of charge. The kit sells for $150 online. Here is the standard flex pic.
                              Dennis
                              04 TJ
                              4.0/Auto
                              RE 4.5 Long Arm
                              Rock-It Man Rockers
                              33x12.50 BFG A/T
                              desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X