Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks

Hi, I’m pretty much of a novice when it comes to suspension. I have a 74 CJ-5 and was wondering what would be the best shocks to go with ? The guy who owned the jeep before me put a 4 or 6 inch lift with shackles . I would like to set maybe 2” higher. At the present time I have 32” BFG but would consider going to a 33” or 34” in the future.
    I have heard that Rancho makes a good shock. Any advise……..
    Thanks,
    Jeeper Creeper

So you have a shackle lift only? I'm sure you don't have 4 or 6 inches with only shackles. When I bought my CJ, it had a 2 1/2" Rancho kit, with stock shackles. This setup fit 32's with some rubbing. I added 1 5/8" longer (than stock) shackles and slapped some 33's on there, with some fender rubbing under flex. The next setup was 4" Superlift springs with the longer shackles, with the 33's and still some minor rubbing under max flex. Now I'm running the same 4" springs and shackles, a 1" body lift, and 35's with some rear fender trimming. My best advice is to pick a tire size, and build the jeep around that. If you want 35's, buy the 35's and get springs, a body lift, and take care of any driveline issues (you may need a rear CV driveshaft with more than 2 1/2" springs, not to mention gears, etc). If you want 33's, you can do it for the price of a set of springs (you already have the shackles), and/or a body lift if you think you might go bigger some day. You can buy whatever shocks you want, but I have been running and swear by Ranchos. I have never had a leaky squishy Rancho in all the abuse I have given them and I saw an OME shock last weekend with fresh paint that was leaking. Any shop or supplier can tell you what shock to run with your level of lift, it's just a matter of looking up the length and stroke of the shock.

I had driveline vibration on the stock rear driveshaft with 2 1/2" springs and the long shackles until I installed a 3/4" transfer case drop, and even then it ate U-joints. Now that you have heard my jeep's life story...

Keep us posted!

:shades:
    rick
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

just for the record... the only reason those OMEs were leaking was because they were hitting the frame on full stuff. The lateral pressure on the shock was enough to let the seal leak. Of course then there's the snap ring thing.....

yeah, go with ranchos.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I just put Rancho RSX's on the front of my CJ and can't believe the difference its actully fun to drive.
        Brian

Comment

Thanks for the run down. I think that I will eventually go with 33's and the Rancho shock with a 2 1/2 inch lift. I'm getting minor rubbing now with my 32's so my shackles aren't giving the lift I thought they were.
          Thanks for all the feedback,
          Dave

Comment

Yeah Brian, I was mostly trying to get a rise out of you
            1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
            My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
              Yeah Brian, I was mostly trying to get a rise out of you
              don't take much.:yay:
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
              X