Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Opinion's on Wheels

I have a 06 LJ I will be putting 35" tires on. I cannot decide if I should just stick with the stock Moab wheels with spacers or go to 15" wheel. If I go to the 15" wheel should I just get the steel? I don't want to polish any aluminum. I am concerned with wheel weight with the steel wheels. What do you think? What is the weight difference per steel wheel vs the Moab?

FWIW, 16" 35s are about 30-40 bucks more per tire than 15" 35s.

I don't like steel wheels for both weight and bendability.

:2:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

What do you like in forged aluminum in a 15"?

Comment

Go with aluminum for sure. I have steel and will replace them someday w/lighter wheels. Think about it, some call it unsprung weight since it's not suspended, I call it hurts my ass changing those MF's and besides that they take more effort (power/torque) to make them move. Momentum can be your friend as well as your worst... Light weight and strong is the way to go, size, your choice. Don't think it matters, maybe money as BKTJ sugested.

B&T TJ

Comment

I had 15x10 steel rims w/4" backspacing. I bent them so badly the whole jeep would shake at 50mph and above. I changed them out for some 15x8 Sahara take-offs and added 2" spacers. Shakes are gone, track is the same and they look cool.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Thanks for your input. I will defiantly stay with aluminum. I am going to have to decide which I like best.

Comment

Eagle alloys with GY MTR's 35X12.50X15 = $1500 for 5, with everything, out the door. Plain wheels were about $10 each less.
              Dependable Offroad, Anaheim CA.
              They were the least cost route I could find for alloys and Goodyears. Prices may be a little higher, I bought a year ago.

EVERYBODY I talked to when I was shopping said get alloys. They are true and will balance, and they are stronger, won't bend. If you hit them hard enough they will break. Run an 8" rim, the tire will protect the rim and the narrower rim will help prevent a slipped bead. A steel wheel is about double the weight of an alloy. If you don't like the shiney wheel you can have them powder coated for about $40 a wheel. Problem is they get scratched to rat$hit anyway. The alloy can be filed down, I've done that a couple of times

A lot of MJR folks like America's tire for their warranty. 4WheelParts is pretty good for wheels and tires too, they have their own brand of wheels. Pretty much everyone in this part of the country runs MT/R's if they drive on the road too. I can see why, they are fantastic tires.

You may have an issue going 15" wheels with your disk brakes. Better double check, anyone here know for sure???

Lastly, I've really never heard of people having problems with spacers. But they cost about half of a wheel, so people usually just buy wheels. Your stockers can be e-bayed.

Comment

which do I like??? MT classic IIs.

get whatever has around 4" backspacing and looks good to you.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                  which do I like??? MT classic IIs.

get whatever has around 4" backspacing and looks good to you.
                  X2 :thumbs_up

Comment

Working...
                  X