Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk Clunk......clunk Clunk......???

As you may have guessed by the title, I have a mysterious 'clunking' sound under the Jeep. I can hear it at various times. Mostly when I'm going somewhat slow (anywhere from initial acceleration to 30-35 MPH and deceleration). I can also really hear it a lot when I (don't laugh!) "articulate/flex" even the slightest bit, for example, the worst place I hear it is when I back into my driveway, and drive over the driveway apron which is also on a hill (facing the driveway, the apron is higher on the left than the right, not front to back).
    If you've ever moved a refridgerator or something like that with a compressor in it and you hear that compressor 'clunking' around as you move it, it sounds a lot like that. Can shocks get so bad that they would make noises like that?
    Any thoughts are appreciated...TIA.
    -Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Since you are going to be spending so much time under there anyways... crawl under your Jeep and check the following things:

Rear Shocks, when a Tj is lifted it puts a lot of stress on the upper bushing, it is not uncommon for the bushing to split in half, or pop out entirely.

Rear trackbar, it is also common on a lifted TJ for the rear trackbar to contact the gas tank skid

Control arms and control arm bushings - are they tight is there any unusual wear?

Check the u-joints on the drive shaft, any unusual play. Grip each side and try to turn.

Are there rocks on the skid plate? i near drove myself nuts trying to find a rattle and clunk. That rattle and clunk was a hitchiker on the transfer case skid.

Comment

I have had various "clunking" noises off and on ever since I lifted my jeep. It is almost always a control arm bolt that has loosened up.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Also check your sway bar disconnects. I had the RE disconnects and it turns out it was them. You mentioned flexing so it may not be them. But check them out!
        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
        www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

check all the lug nuts
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
            check all the lug nuts
            Doh! I forgot the obvious!

Comment

kinda sounds like a motor mount or tranny mount.

Apply brakes try to drive foward and backward if you dont here the noise forget what I just wrote.
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
                kinda sounds like a motor mount or tranny mount.

Apply brakes try to drive foward and backward if you dont here the noise forget what I just wrote.
                *Gonna have to try this one ^ in the morning.

Lug nuts are all tight...
                Swaybar Links are JKS Quicker Disconnects, and they appear to be fine...
                Shock bushings all appear to be intact and in good shape...
                Control arms and control arm bushings all appear to be tight and in sood shape...
                No unusual play in the U-Joints...
                Definately not a rock on the skid plate...wrong kind of "clunk"!
                *Still need to look at the rear track bar...
                -Bob

Comment

I believe I have this problem sound too. You really hit the head for describing the sound!

I've checked out our list here with the exception of the "apply brakes..."; I'll do that one on lunch. What is weird is that I can "feel" the sound thru the floor on the driver's side. Sometimes when I start the car, no sound thru the whole trip. Other times, right from ignition sitting there in Park idleing its going like crazy. It rarely does it after I go muddin' and take the Jeep out of temp. 4x4 and I pull out on the cement.

What may be a totally diff. issue - or not - is when I'm stopped and say waiting to turn and then I punch the throttle even a bit more than "normal", I get a clicking type sound. Never did that before with my from the factory 30s and no body lift.

* 00' Sahara / 48k miles / running: 33" on 15x8s, auto tranny, 3" BL (soon to be 1"), all else stock*
                  "Work is the curse of the drinking class" ~Charles Dickens

Comment

May be it is an exhuast issue. Loose pipes or broken hanger.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, so to is it with the list provided several post ago, the exhaust is tight as a button. everywhere. I can't be the only TJ owner with this issue... we'll see what suggestions come...

Comment

maybe your Jeep is falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD
                          maybe your Jeep is falling apart
                          Isn't that a prerequisit for an "official" Jeep?
                          -Bob

Comment

"its NOT a tumah!" ... and my Jeep has not made the noise for days in a row now since I posted! haha

Comment

That's 'cuz a major part is about to fall off! (another prerequisite for a "real jeep")
                              Jeff
                              OHV76V
                              KG6TY
                              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                              X