Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE or OME shocks

I'm in need of shocks, but I don't know which of these brands to go with. I found the RE's for $189 for twin tube and $297 for mono tube. Found the OME shocks for $160 per set..ie 160 for front and 160 for rear. Just looking for some advice or feedback from folks that are/have ran these shocks.

I know alot of folks are running the OME shocks, but haven;t heard much on the RE's. Money is a bit of an issue, so I'm not looking for "get fox shocks" Also, links to places that have em would help also....preferably a place that accepts paypal or I can send a check/money order to. Thanx for any input/advice and feedback.
    04 Rubicon
    4.5" RE Super Flex
    1" BL
    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
    35" el cheapos
    Front Bumper & Rockers

I run Ranchos, never had a problem with them
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

one more for rancho...

I like my ranchos too. The 9000's have adjustable damping, a feature I REALLY like. I run them soft on the road, stiff for offroad with a load, keeps the suspension from bottoming out in the whoops.

I had to replace one that got crunched by my tailpipe on the rubicon last year. I think it was $70 at Summit Racing or some other e-tailer. I looked in my receipt file but it wasn't there.

OME's are highly rated so would probably like them. You might consider if you're going to install a mild lift, you would want longer shocks.

Edit: scratch that. Why do you need shocks already? Do you have the RE's that came with your lift kit?
      Last edited by cjdirtbiker; 04-01-06, 11:02 AM. Reason: oops. I see you're already lifted.

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
        Edit: scratch that. Why do you need shocks already? Do you have the RE's that came with your lift kit?
        I didn't get RE's with my lift. I got P.O.R.C. shocks with it. They're a couple years old now and starting to show their age. Forgot all about Rancho shocks...so now I have another option to consider.
        04 Rubicon
        4.5" RE Super Flex
        1" BL
        CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
        Currie Anti-rock swaybar
        35" el cheapos
        Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

i think the RE monotube are bilstien's which are quality gas charged shocks.

OME's (gas,twin tube) have a good quality ride, but do not last long under the abuses of rock crawling.

I've never owned rancho's because, IMO, they give little advantage over any budget hydro shock.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Brian, you have a nice rig, and everyone needs to respect it and the knowledge and experiance that went into it, however I have to disagree about the Ranchos. I have run them on 4 different vehicles now and have had good luck with them always. They may not be the trickest thing on the market but they are a good solid shock, and cost effective. I would buy another set.
            Oh, thats just my Humble opinion and you know about opinions

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR
              Brian, you have a nice rig, and everyone needs to respect it and the knowledge and experiance that went into it, however I have to disagree about the Ranchos. I have run them on 4 different vehicles now and have had good luck with them always. They may not be the trickest thing on the market but they are a good solid shock, and cost effective. I would buy another set.
              Oh, thats just my Humble opinion and you know about opinions
              fair enough.

In all honesty, I think 9000's are near 90 bucks each now. I'd price out bilstein, edlebrock and the new fox with OEM mounting just for comparison.
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ

>snip

I've never owned rancho's because, IMO, they give little advantage over any budget hydro shock.
                They do the job of damping the axle, that is all. The adjustability is the advantage.

But otherwise, yes, they are a very simple design. They are not what I would call a 'high performance' shock, that is I'm not sure I would use them for jeep-speed or anything like that. And they work like crap upside down. I had trouble with the rears being too long, that's why I went to 4.5" springs. The shock shifters made it worse, but now the shock cans clear the spring plates.

Gee, I guess I see why you guys box-in your shock mounts

Comment

Cj, I moved my shock mounts outbound, used the Nth degree braketry.
                  You will have to cut off the old lower mounts and weld on new onesb but the upper bracket is a bolt on.
                  I does 2 things, clears the shock, real important, and getsshock where it is on plane with the geometry of a jeep after lifting and a SYE.

Comment

With shocks, you get what you pay for.

I have had Rancho 9000, Walker Evans and now Fox. Nothing has compared even remotely to the Fox shocks now that they have broken in. With Fox now offering OEM mounting for TJs I would have to say its a no-brainer to go with the fox shocks.

Yes the fox are pricey but the shocks that have been pointed out are $70 - $90 each now. The beauty of the fox, is if it brakes or wears out, rebuild it. Most everything else you have to throw away.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...&cat=34&page=1
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Budget depending this summer I'll move my rear shocks to outside (in) frame. I'm travel restricted inside as they currenty are.
                      Now what type of shock..........

Originally posted by blackZZR
                      Cj, I moved my shock mounts outbound, used the Nth degree braketry.
                      You will have to cut off the old lower mounts and weld on new onesb but the upper bracket is a bolt on.
                      I does 2 things, clears the shock, real important, and getsshock where it is on plane with the geometry of a jeep after lifting and a SYE.
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                        With shocks, you get what you pay for.

I have had Rancho 9000, Walker Evans and now Fox. Nothing has compared even remotely to the Fox shocks now that they have broken in. With Fox now offering OEM mounting for TJs I would have to say its a no-brainer to go with the fox shocks.

Yes the fox are pricey but the shocks that have been pointed out are $70 - $90 each now. The beauty of the fox, is if it brakes or wears out, rebuild it. Most everything else you have to throw away.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...&cat=34&page=1
                        Rebuildable is a definite advantage. Is the damping rate adjustable with oil viscosity, or is there another way to adjust them? Fox shocks were a hot setup with the bikes, as were Olins, but I haven't seen them for vehicles.

Brian mentioned bilstiens which I also like, but they can be very stiff. I have bilstiens on the motorhome, the factory upgraded to them in recent years as it's the only brand that will control that big of a chassis. I know they try to match the damping rating to the chassis weight, but they also spec them for a wide range of applications. Hence for lighter rigs they can be too stiff. Some guys like really stiff shocks (among other things)

Comment

90 each, wow did not realize. paid a lot less for mine
                          guess friendship has it's advantages
                          sorry fo rthe recomendation if they are so pricey
                          but like I said, never had a failure or any trouble with them, guess thats why I keep going back. I like dependable products.
                          Now fox shocks, I like them on bikes also, ran them on several bikes, would look at them hard if they do have a mount for Jeeps now.

ok, a word about the Nth shock relocators, read the instructions twice before welding, proper placement is important, we had a discussion about the placement as we laid under the jeep and we went with the instructions, it worked
                          also, after you are done, get a fork lift and pick up the rear tires, one at a time, to full stuff, it is very important that you make sure the bumpstops limit the shock travel not the shocks range. I have talked to a few guys who swear the system is junk and breaks, however they admit to not having checked this. Nth warns that it must be done, I have run mine for close to a year and was just under there saturday working on my track bar (don't ask) and my shock mounts are in fantastic shape.
                          Now to just get my track bar troubles to go away
                          Last edited by blackZZR; 04-04-06, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I cant speak with 100% certainty on the new OEM Fox shocks but the valving is customizable. You can set it to whatever you want but it required tearing the shock apart to do it. They do have a new "click" remote reservoir that offers adjust ability for rebound rate.

My Rancho's weren't $90 either when I got them, something like $67-$72 each but I have heard from others they have gone up in price.
                            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

found this...

Rancho 9000X @ www.samsoffroad.com = $274 delivered.

Show me all your custom rear shock setups this weekend...

Comment

Working...
                              X