Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 2 swaybar disconnects

I posted this on another Jeeper forum as well.... i'm not too happy with the replys I recieved from RE, and the online4x4 place I purchased this from. :thumbs_do
    I purchased a RE 4.5 from a place I see in these forums quite frequently. Along with the lift kit come these real nice looking swaybar disconnects. These "nice looking" disconnects would work really nice on a STOCK height Jeep, but when used in conjunction with the 4.5, the steering rod (where connected to the tierod) comes in contact with the clip that is used to secure it to the post, bending it and rendering the clip un useable.... I can turn the shaft, so that the clip just misses the tie rod, but then you can't remove the clip.
    I talked to the company I bought it from ( I won't say who) at... ( I won't say where) and got referred to the manufacturer. When I called them all I got was ... "we are aware of this problem and what you need to do is cut this.. bend that, and weld this". I don't know about anyone else, but if I pay for a product that is advertised to do something and it doesn't, I get a little aggravated.
    Anyone else encounter this with their Gen 2 disco's?
    Rubicons rule Hummers drool, Suzukis are cool too.

the problem is stock steering with 4.5" of lift, not the sway bar discos.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
      the problem is stock steering with 4.5" of lift, not the sway bar discos.
      Yes and no.... If my Jeep was stock height, they would work fine. Here is where the problem lies... these particular disco's are supposeably made for 4.5, to 7.5 lifts. nowhere in the instructions, or on the web site or anywhere does it state that you can't run them with stock steering. These disco's are very nice... I like them...I am going to keep them..eventually I am going to upgrade my steering...I just think that a little statement somewhere in the advertising to the effect of ..running these disconnects with stock steering geometry will result in minor contact etc...

Rant off.

Comment

looks like you have either a zj or currie tie rod/drag set up. maybe im wrong im on vicodin and its early. i have the opposite problem. my steering hits on my steering dampener bracket. post another pic of your set up a little father back. ill tell you whats up.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubiconman
          Yes and no.... If my Jeep was stock height, they would work fine. Here is where the problem lies... these particular disco's are supposeably made for 4.5, to 7.5 lifts. nowhere in the instructions, or on the web site or anywhere does it state that you can't run them with stock steering. These disco's are very nice... I like them...I am going to keep them..eventually I am going to upgrade my steering...I just think that a little statement somewhere in the advertising to the effect of ..running these disconnects with stock steering geometry will result in minor contact etc...

Rant off.
          Brian is correct. The problem is not the disconnects, its the sway bar brackets on the axle. Jeep didnt account for you putting on a 4.5 inch lift. Its not the sway bar discos, its the brackets and the big lift.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

that's stock tj steering, got any extra vicodin???:yay:
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

lol.. yeah now i see that the caster is off. the upper arms are maybe to long.
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, a couple of Vicodin took care of the problem.

Comment

I will have to check my disco's. I just installed the same lift, except in the 3.5 inch version.

The only issue I have at the moment, is the disco on the driver's side will not slide off the pin on the bottom. There is not flex in the disco to push it off the pin on the axel side. I think my track bar has slide over towards the drivers side, preventing the connect from releasing from the pin completly.

I have to play with it some, and let things settle some also. That my help.

But any ideas, would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Todd & Teresa
                  Navy-Jeepster
                  Gold Digger
                  Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                  Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Ace hardware to the rescue. $1.30 :cactus:

Comment

Working...
                    X