Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Leaf springs

I am lookin for some taller leaf springs for my 89 YJ, that give the jeep about 2 1/2-3 1/2 inches of lift. Other possibility is some shorter leaf springs and a spring over. Any advice? What is a good brand of leaf spring, better ride, good off road?
    I have a Jeep

Figure out what you want first, SOA or SUA. You're looking at a big range there from a 2.5" lift up to 6-7" of a SOA with something like the RE springs.
    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Yep. _Just_ a SOA will net you more than what you're looking to get BTW.
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Skyjacker military wrap 2.5 or 4" are some of the best springs out there. But if you do a spring over use your stock springs as they'll give you a good ride with out too much cash!
        Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

I don't know about that Andy, in my experiece Skyjackers are usuallly the fastest to sag and break. Superlift and BDS hold up much better, and the RE Extreme stuff is a hell of a spring pack (maybe the best mass produced 4" pack there is). Old Man Emu is the hands down winner in the production 2.5" spring though.
          I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
            in my experiece Skyjackers are usuallly the fastest to sag and break.
            I've seen the same thing with most skyjacker springs, but the new mil wrap springs seem to be pretty much bombproof, but then the RE's, superlift and BDS springs are good too! As for the Old Man emu great but pricey!! :2:
            Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

If you want pricey - go with Alcans. Worth every penny, but not cheap!
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, another question though. How do I tell how much lift my jeep currently has, It was given to me with almost no details.
                There is about 5 1/2" space between the top of the axle and the rubber stopper, compared with a simular but stock YJ which has only about
                1 1/2". So I assume that I have about 4" lift. The shackles that are on there are 6" between the center of the bolts, these couldn't give 4" lift could they? Maybe I have taller leaf springs too. Not sure, this is my first Jeep.
                I have a Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboysfc
                  Thanks for all the advice, another question though. How do I tell how much lift my jeep currently has, It was given to me with almost no details.
                  There is about 5 1/2" space between the top of the axle and the rubber stopper, compared with a simular but stock YJ which has only about
                  1 1/2". So I assume that I have about 4" lift. The shackles that are on there are 6" between the center of the bolts, these couldn't give 4" lift could they? Maybe I have taller leaf springs too. Not sure, this is my first Jeep.
                  OK let me see. A stock YJ has *about* 18" of clearance at the sills

Stock shackles are 4" long. A 6" shackle provides 1" of lift 'cos you're only moving one end of the spring.
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

What size tire are you running? For some reason I don't think you have 5" of lift, if so you should clear 33s no problem. I like my black diamond but if I had a money tree this is what I would get.
                    http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...oducts_id/1619
                    :tree:

Comment

i have been happy with my rubicon express 4.5" extreme duty lift.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                        Erik:

Can you elaborate? I have pro comp on the front and they are really bad.

How soft are the RE springs on the road?
                        92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler
                          Erik:

Can you elaborate? I have pro comp on the front and they are really bad.

How soft are the RE springs on the road?
                          i put the pro comp stuff on the first jeep. [the white 4 banger] it is miserable to drive. i didnt really know how miserable it was until i put the RE springs on my red jeep. it is night and day. the white jeep will have my back screaming in agony in a short distance. the red one is nice for hours... driving all the way to the rubicon, and things like that.

the re springs do sag a bit, but i am ok with that. they flex like mad, andare very smooth and managable on the road. i do like to keep my swaybar on while driving on the road though, because you cant have flexy suspension in the rocks, and tight suspension on the street. the swaybar keeps everything in check.

i do recommend them highly. just go in knowing that RE customer service is bottom of the barrel, so i highly recommend buying them from one of their sellers. i used quadratec, and have been happy with their service.

let me know if you are serious about buying this set, and i can set you up with a reputable seller who will stand behind it.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

i put the pro comp stuff on the first jeep. [the white 4 banger] it is miserable to drive. i didnt really know how miserable it was until i put the RE springs on my red jeep. it is night and day. the white jeep will have my back screaming in agony in a short distance. the red one is nice for hours... driving all the way to the rubicon, and things like that.

the re springs do sag a bit, but i am ok with that. they flex like mad, andare very smooth and managable on the road. i do like to keep my swaybar on while driving on the road though, because you cant have flexy suspension in the rocks, and tight suspension on the street. the swaybar keeps everything in check.

i do recommend them highly. just go in knowing that RE customer service is bottom of the barrel, so i highly recommend buying them from one of their sellers. i used quadratec, and have been happy with their service.

let me know if you are serious about buying this set, and i can set you up with a reputable seller who will stand behind it.

Thanks
                            92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Erik, checking Quadratec.com can only find the 4.0" lift kit... special order?
                              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X