Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EB Dana20 to AX-15

Been searching a couple of days and not coming up with anything concrete.

Does an EB Dana 20 bolt up to an AX-15?

Why you might ask am I asking this? Well I want a gear driven t-case. I will want a Klune V some day. To keep driveshaft lengths happy, a D20 w Klune 5 is a little shorter than a stock NP231.

I know the Dana 20 has crappy low gearing but figure put in a TeraLow 3.15. This would give a good crawl ratio once matted to the Klune and the D20 should be strong enough to handle the torque.

I thought of a D300 but the flip kit is the big drawback. A D20 with 3.15 would only cost a little more than a flipped D300 with a better low range to boot. That would hold me over til I get the Klune.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

whats so special about the Klune?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

With the klune you could have the following tc gearing 1:1, 3.15:1, 4:1, 12.6:1 assuming my imaginary D20 with 3.15.
      Last edited by nagal; 05-06-05, 04:52 PM.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

What is this Klue5?Do you have a link to it?Never heard of it.
        "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Ford dana 20 does not bolt to an AX-15 (jeep doesn't enter), I don't now of any adapter for it.

Dana 300 does with a spacer ring.

Ron
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

You'd have to do the D20 and Klune at the same time:

http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss..._D20_combo.htm

If all you were looking to do is get a gear driven transfer case (not really an issue unless you're going to a Klune, or silly low gearing), you're probably better off flipping a D300, or picking up an Atlas II IMHO.

FWIW, the my T-176/Klune/NP205 is almost exactly the same length as the AX-15/NP231 with a JBC SYE on it.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I have an AX-15 hooked to a Dana 300, not flipped, using a NOVAK adapter.

1980 CJ7, 4.0, AX-15 Dana 300, YJ Tub, 33s........
              1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

That'll make a _very_ interesting front driveshaft issue for a TJ..
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                  whats so special about the Klune?
                  Once youv'e driven a Klune equipped vehicle you'll understand why. I had one in my old rig and especially when bolted to a low torque, high rpm motor you'd be amazed what you can do... The problem I had was that if I ran a 4-1 low i'd run out of gears on the flats but not have enough power to stick in 4 hi. Having the Klune and stock low range gears solved that. I ended up with a crawl ratio of about 209, but was able to run comfortably on the freeways..

BTW the Klune still requires an adaptor to install the bronco dana 20. The only real advantage is that the Klune/dana 20 length is the same as the np231 with SYE kit. and it's easy to twin stick. after you've spent the money though the dana 20 won't be that far off the price of an Atlas.
                  Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

EB D20 "T" TwinStick & Klune-V "David" AA HD output

Okay Okay,
                    I just had to write this because I have sitting in my garage ready to go under my TJ the very combination you all are chatting about. It is an early bronco "T" handle shifter style D20 with the pins removed and an atlas II twin stick shift linkage rigged to it along with a Klune-V David 4:1 mated with an adapter by Hi-Impact. An Advanced Adapters HD tailshaft & housing tops the thing off. With the adapter you can clock the D20 to fit a "belly up" or "tummy tucker" pan. This whole combination is strong, stout & only 1" longer than a NP-231J with AA short shaft SYE kit installed.
                    Now here's the good part:

3.83 (1st gear low)x (9.86 Klune & D20 in low)x (4.88 gears)= crawl ratio of 180.072:1...... That equals about 6-6 1/2 inches per second @ 950RPM on 37's. Now if you modify the low range in the D20 to be even lower, the crawl ratio will be over 200:1!

Possible tranfer case ranges are:
                    1:1 Klune & 1:1 D20
                    1:1 Klune & 2.46:1 D20
                    4:1 Klune & 1:1 D20
                    4:1 Klune & 2.46:1 D20

Benefits are plenty:
                    Twin Stick shifting
                    Multiple Low Ranges for all driving conditions
                    Compact overall size retains drive shaft leingth
                    Stout Gear Driven Transfer Case
                    Clockable drop to clear even the tightest skid plate
                    Simple easy to connect to stock TJ shifter using 6 to 8" of All-Thread if desired and you don't want to fabricate a twin stick assembly.

Entire cost of setup including aquisition of newly remanufactured EB D20 "T" handle case was the same cost as an Atlas ll 4.3 by itself Without extra spline yolks, and accessories that are still needed to make it useful to my application. Driveshaft will end up being 2" shorter than the Atlas with much more flexible crawl ratios when out in Glamis or Dumont Dunes where the 4:1 is next to worthless. You really need more than 1:1 but less than 4:1 in sand in SWB Jeeps.

Rick OllllllO
                    " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                    Rick W6RE

Comment

Originally posted by OllllllO
                      Okay Okay,
                      I just had to write this because I have sitting in my garage ready to go under my TJ the very combination you all are chatting about.
                      All I have to say is NICE! nothing like watching spotters waiting for you because they're walking faster than you're driving the trail! You get so much control from the added torque, you'd almost consider it cheating!

Are you running the cable shifter or direct mount?
                      Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

http://www.stak4x4.com/gallery.htm
                        this is the ticket.
                        if this was available before i got the atlas, i'd be running it.
                        i like it better than the klune.
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Technical Specifications

Left side drop Right side drop

What do you get with the “Monster Box”? Your choice of a left or right hand drop output that is clockable from stock position to virtually flat. Also included is an universal shifters, heavy duty 32 spline front and rear outputs, Timken Bearings and 32 spline 1310 CV style Spicer yokes. The Monster Box is available for any transmission that has a 23 spline output. The STaK Monster Box currently only has a 23 spline transfer case input. Other inputs will be coming soon. We will also have replacement units for NP-231 and Ford Bronco Dana 20 options. All for the low price of $2,800 USD.

Right Click and Save or View in Full Screen Mode

GEARING COMPARISON FOR DIFFERENT TRANSFER CASES

Model Trans First Gear Low Gear 1 Low Gear 2 Axles Final 1 Final 2
                          STaK 4X4 3 Speed NV3550 4.00 5.44 3.05 4.56 99.22 55.63
                          Atlas II 5.08 NV3550 4.00 5.08 NA 4.56 92.71 NA
                          Atlas II 4.3 NV3550 4.00 4.30 NA 4.56 78.43 NA
                          Atlas II 3.0 NV3550 4.00 3.00 NA 4.56 54.72 NA
                          Dana 300 NV3550 4.00 2.63 NA 4.56 47.97 NA
                          Jeep Dana 20 NV3550 4.00 2.00 NA 4.56 36.48 NA
                          Bronco Dana 20 NV3550 4.00 2.46 NA 4.56 44.87 NA
                          Jeep NP231 NV3550 4.00 2.72 NA 4.56 49.61 NA

LENGTH COMPARISON FOR
                          DIFFERENT TRANSFER CASES

Model Length Weight
                          STaK 4X4 3 Speed 13.0" 140
                          Atlas II 5.08 13.8" 110
                          NP 203 21.5" 165
                          NP 205 13.0" 138
                          Dana 300 11.5" 86
                          Jeep Dana 20 10.5" 80
                          NP231 20+" 67
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Welcome to the club!
                            I have been running this set up for about a year and a half. I tried to get the AA 32 spline output but at the time they did not have them ready. So I picked up a spare tail cone assembly for cheap.

Good luck getting it totally flat. Mine hangs down below the frame about a inch or so. Even with a 1.25 BL. Maybe on the TJ's you can.
                            I am running the twin sticks from Wild Horses. Works great!

The gear choices are sweet! The almost 10 to 1 is alot of fun. But the cool thing about this set up is that you are not stuck in the near 10 to1 range. I run just the Klune alot (4 to 1 ) but it is real nice to be able to choose from the 2.46, or 4 or 9.84. Plus having a 5 speed you can always find the right gear for what ever trail you are running. ( 20 forward speeds)You can run from mild to WILD with out being over geared or undergeared.

I went with a Dakota Digital VSS to get the speedo and computer working. Around $115 for the works.

I live in Simi. PM me if you are interested in stopping by.

Originally posted by OllllllO
                            Okay Okay,
                            I just had to write this because I have sitting in my garage ready to go under my TJ the very combination you all are chatting about. It is an early bronco "T" handle shifter style D20 with the pins removed and an atlas II twin stick shift linkage rigged to it along with a Klune-V David 4:1 mated with an adapter by Hi-Impact. An Advanced Adapters HD tailshaft & housing tops the thing off. With the adapter you can clock the D20 to fit a "belly up" or "tummy tucker" pan. This whole combination is strong, stout & only 1" longer than a NP-231J with AA short shaft SYE kit installed.
                            Now here's the good part:

3.83 (1st gear low)x (9.86 Klune & D20 in low)x (4.88 gears)= crawl ratio of 180.072:1...... That equals about 6-6 1/2 inches per second @ 950RPM on 37's. Now if you modify the low range in the D20 to be even lower, the crawl ratio will be over 200:1!

Possible tranfer case ranges are:
                            1:1 Klune & 1:1 D20
                            1:1 Klune & 2.46:1 D20
                            4:1 Klune & 1:1 D20
                            4:1 Klune & 2.46:1 D20

Benefits are plenty:
                            Twin Stick shifting
                            Multiple Low Ranges for all driving conditions
                            Compact overall size retains drive shaft leingth
                            Stout Gear Driven Transfer Case
                            Clockable drop to clear even the tightest skid plate
                            Simple easy to connect to stock TJ shifter using 6 to 8" of All-Thread if desired and you don't want to fabricate a twin stick assembly.

Entire cost of setup including aquisition of newly remanufactured EB D20 "T" handle case was the same cost as an Atlas ll 4.3 by itself Without extra spline yolks, and accessories that are still needed to make it useful to my application. Driveshaft will end up being 2" shorter than the Atlas with much more flexible crawl ratios when out in Glamis or Dumont Dunes where the 4:1 is next to worthless. You really need more than 1:1 but less than 4:1 in sand in SWB Jeeps.

Rick OllllllO

Comment

I might have to contact Dakota Digital to get see if they can interface the NP-205 to the YJ speedo/electronics.
                              Jeff
                              OHV76V
                              KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                              X