Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap lift?

I recently picked up a set of ZJ front coils and Crown Vic rears for my Jeep. I already have a rear track bar relocating bracket and RS9000's. What else do I REALLY NEED for this all to work? Do I NEED to do something with the swaya links? Sorry for the lame Q's but I'm kinda anxious to get some height under me...

well...

Man. Hard to say what you need with those to start. How much lift will that net you?

IMHO youre better off doing it right the first time, or youll end up paying for it in more ways then one.

You may need a slip yoke eliminator and driveshaft if youre attempting to gain in excess of 3". It really becomes a bucket of worms.

Do the crown vic coils swap straight across? never heard of it.

If youre looking for an inexpensive way to safely get some height under your Jeep, consider a small spacer lift, combined with either a 1" body lift or suspension lift. Anything over 3" and you start having to replace other stuff.

Good luck!

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

It's supposed to net about 3". The crown vic springs are supposed to swap right in.

Comment

If you are just looking for some lift while you save up for a real lift, this works great. And I am not saying that just because I did it similiar to this.

If you are putting the ZJ coils in front, you won't get 3" of lift.

You can make home made discos, JeepGal has a good write-up on it some where here. I can never find it.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I'm really just hoping for a couple of inches. I think the ones who've gotten 3" were 4 bangers.

Comment

If your just wanting a couple of inches then buy some coil spacers for $100 bucks or so.
            ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
            00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
            97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
              If your just wanting a couple of inches then buy some coil spacers for $100 bucks or so.
              x2

For just a couple inches go with coil spacers.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I have some coil spacers also (just need to install) but wouldn't the springs give more flex?

Comment

Your flex and articulation will mostly be dependent on your shock travel.
                  ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
                  00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                  97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

actually zj coils have a higher spring rate. you could end up with less flex.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

That would be lame... I may just use the spacers and return the springs. Since they haven't been installed I can get my money back and use it for some "real" Jeep springs later.
                      I made a set of spacers using the design on madxj.com and they look real nice. A bit of overkill maybe but nice and strong.

Comment

Well, just put in the springs yesterday. Not too hard, time consuming, but not hard. The Crown Vic springs put me up almost 4 inches and the ZJ springs only netted 2 1/2 to 3". I'll have to put in a spacer for the front to level it out. Right now it looks very Santucky-ish. Felt like I was driving my old Camaro for a few minutes. I did experience some drive line vibrations and easily took care of that with the T-case lowering instructions on Wayoflife's 4x4xplor.com site. THIS SITE HAS A TON OF USEFUL INFO- Check it out- http://www.4x4xplor.com/index.html
                        I also learned first hand what Death Wobble is- HOLY CRAP! Last night after I got done all seemed ok. This morning while going out to get the stuff to lower the T-case I hit 55 and the truck felt like it was gonna fall apart! Scared the crap outta me!!! I followed the toe in adjustment (also found on Wayoflife's site) and my DW is gone.
                        I'll be finishing up my spacers next week at work (playing with the mill is FUN!) and then I'll put those in and re-adjust the toe in and I should be good to go. Still need to get some sway bar disco's done also.

Comment

so how does it flex???
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Here're some pics of my ZJ/CV lift leveled out with some spacers. Still need shocks but thinking I may just dump the springs and go with spacers only.

Comment

Originally posted by tjchad
                              Well, just put in the springs yesterday. Not too hard, time consuming, but not hard. The Crown Vic springs put me up almost 4 inches and the ZJ springs only netted 2 1/2 to 3". I'll have to put in a spacer for the front to level it out. Right now it looks very Santucky-ish. Felt like I was driving my old Camaro for a few minutes. I did experience some drive line vibrations and easily took care of that with the T-case lowering instructions on Wayoflife's 4x4xplor.com site. THIS SITE HAS A TON OF USEFUL INFO- Check it out- http://www.4x4xplor.com/index.html
                              I also learned first hand what Death Wobble is- HOLY CRAP! Last night after I got done all seemed ok. This morning while going out to get the stuff to lower the T-case I hit 55 and the truck felt like it was gonna fall apart! Scared the crap outta me!!! I followed the toe in adjustment (also found on Wayoflife's site) and my DW is gone.
                              I'll be finishing up my spacers next week at work (playing with the mill is FUN!) and then I'll put those in and re-adjust the toe in and I should be good to go. Still need to get some sway bar disco's done also.
                              Man, now you need some bigger tires. body armor. regearing. etc, etc, etc. What was your total cost compared to a lift kit? It looks good!
                              Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Working...
                              X