Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About Those Lift Kits

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Of course ever since we purchased our Jeep I’m like a kid with a new toy and like most kids, not particularly patient. I just purchased and picked up some flares from Duke69, and after meeting him and looking at his Jeep I could tell he’s serious about off roading. (& about Mopars!) I must admit that initially I wanted to buy new rims and tires and lift my TJ because it looks cool, that’s still true but Chris did give me some things to think about (and you know how much kids like to think)

I still want 33’s and a 3-4” lift, I used to build cars and looking at some of the lift kits I don’t see anything that looks that difficult to install. Of coarse now its 20 years later and I’m 30+ lbs heavier so I can imagine myself getting about halfway through this kind of installation and calling out for “Mr. Wizard.”

Are these kits difficult to install? Are there any special tools required? Does the installation of a lift kit change the alignment? If I don’t lower the transfer case what do I need to do to either the transfer case or the rear driveshaft so that it doesn’t end up with some kind of strange vibration?

Just thinking about it.

~chuck

as far as the lift... if chris can do it, anybody can do it
    i personally havent done a tj lift, but have seen them done in an evening. (i mean full day).. i'd get some feedback from other jeepers as to which lift to get, and you will surely get mixed feedback. if i had a tj, and some money kicking around, i'd go for the long arm kit. but that is just me... i think that requires more labor, and some welding to install. the short arm kits are pretty much bolt on aplications.
    Are these kits difficult to install? Are there any special tools required? Does the installation of a lift kit change the alignment? If I don’t lower the transfer case what do I need to do to either the transfer case or the rear driveshaft so that it doesn’t end up with some kind of strange vibration?
    for the vibes, you'll want/need a sye=slip yoke eliminator, and a new drive shaft.
    the rest of the tj owners willl elaborate on those points
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I put in a 4 1\2 inch rubicon lift, short arm. I like it. Handles worse on the street than it used to.
      Kirk
      1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

If you go with a 2 1/2" suspension and a 1" body lift, you wont need the slip yoke eliminator, be able to fit 33's and youll pretty much get anywhere youd want to go. BUT beware...once you start, its hard to control the urge to go higher.

Im currently running the Rancho 2 1/2" and 1" body lift with 33" MT/rs, with no tcase drop (you will however need to do either a motor mount lift or a radiator drop) and absolutely NO vibes. We just finished running the Rubicon Trail, and my Jeep performed awesome...No stucks no problems... (HUSH ERIK!) For the most part, Ive been satisfied with the Rancho lift, however, I am disappointed on how the control arm bushings have held up. Ive only had the lift about 6 months, and my bushings are completely shot, coming out in peices...

Im seriously considering going with a 4" suspension lift, but it will definitely open a new can of worms for me...so Im still thinking about it.

Good Luck Chuck and welcome to the group!

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Tj lift kits Are not a hard install . Depending on which kit you go with . We are all basically running different kits and they have there little quirks , not to mention 2 jeeps with the same kit will handle completely different . THINK about how you will use your jeep ! plan ahead WAY ahead !!!! I personally Do not Like JOHNNY JOINTS , now if I was to build a trail specific Jeep I would use the johnny joint set up as it allows for som e awesome articulation , but for the everyday jeep it is not a good choice for the road jeep ( man I am opening a can of worms here ! ) I personally run The Fabtech kit and I am very happy with it ! I have had to work a few bugs out , but all in all it works AWESOME ! It is a "Johhny joint" Which is a spherical ball mounted in machined Poly ureathane bushing ( best of both worlds ) I dont get the Slapping effect the R/E kit is prone too . I have personally welded up a few LOWER and UPPER Control arms that have had the holes unintentionally slotted due to excessive paly in the johnny joint . If you plan on wheeling the hell out of your jeep plan on maintianing it properly . With out the proper maintenance you will be unhappy with the damage done to your jeep .
          I just installed a Rancho ROCkcrawler kit on a tj , It is the nicest kit I have installed in a long time , It is the most complete kit I have seen . It rides WAy better than stock , and allows for some awesome flex . it is designed to allow for the bushing to shift and articulate inside the control arms with out Damaging them . Just my $.02

Pm me if you need any assistance
          JIM :{:>
          JC Fab & Design

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
            as far as the lift... if chris can do it, anybody can do it
            Thanks Erik! Are you flirting with me again?

Lifts are easy to install No special tools required. The lift WILL change the alignment, but thats not a big deal. Goto Firestone tire and service and get their lifetime alignment, ask Tammy how nice it is. As Erik said, at 4 inches or so of lift, you will need a SYE (slip yoke eliminator). Good luck, let us know if you need us
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I got my rubicon express lift for 650 from Northridge4x4.

After running it for a while I am glad that I got the rubicon express.

I had a pro comp and the two don't even compare
              Last edited by ace2222; 08-12-03, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

There are a lot of kits out there and it’s a little overwhelming trying to evaluate them. I’ve been most interested in the Rubicon Express and Fabtech.

The Fabtech 4” performance suspension is on sale @ 4wheelonline.com for $1100 and TJ Outfitters quoted the basic Rubicon Express 3.5” kit for $350 - which I believe lists for approximately $700. What’s wrong with this picture? :confused: I’ve asked them for a quote for the same 3.5” flex kit. I hope I’m comparing apples to apples.

~chuck

Comment

who did you get a quote from???

Comment

real quick I just went to rubiconexpress.com and they retail the 3.5 standard for

RE7002 3.5" Standard Kit - The Standard kit is a perfect entry for those looking to run 33" tires on a smaller budget. The 3.5" Standard kit includes springs, and bump stops, but maintains stock control arms and track bars. On and off road performance of this kit is excellent and is easily upgradeable to the Super-Flex kit by adding our control arms, heavy-duty front track bar, and other Super-Flex components.
                    $490.00 + S&H
                    Details Components Add to Cart

Comment

From Mark Shelton @ TJ Outfitters

~chuck

Comment

try emailing Northridge4x4 and get a quote from them they ahve some good prices and are great to work with..

sales@northridge4x4.com

I would go with the superflex kit if i was you.. I have one on a TJ and it is really nice..

Comment

I'm gonna go with northridge on this one too. Give 'em a call, I think i got a 3.5" superflex for my buddy's TJ quoted at about $550. Just ordered my 4.5" RE XD kit from them yesterday, best price in town.
                          95 Rio
                          4.5 XD kit on the way

Comment

Although, I'm not a TJ owner, here is my $.02. If you are gonna do it, try to do it right the first time, I think most would agree with me there.

Fabtech just released their Long Arm Lift kit for the TJ. There is my $.02 Go with the Long Arm Suspension from the start.

Erik

Comment

i'd go long arm if i was to lift a tj too...
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X