X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrblaine
    replied
    Originally posted by rick
    $650 seems like an awful lot to spend on steering for an axle that possibly isn't up to the abuse... If you need 1.5" DOM steering, then I'm assuming that at least 35s, if not 37s are in the future? Why not just take the $ and apply towards a 44 with high steer knuckles and then you can run 1 ton hardware on that? Of course, I'm always looking at "opportunity costs" to justify my larger expenditures, and this one is a no brainer to me. If you want big steering, start with a big axle, or at least the one you will end up with! Just seems like a lot of money for a bracket and some DOM tubing... Or I suppose the setup Nailer has would be the same difference as a 44 when applied to a HP30. How much did you spend on that steering Erik, a couple hundred or so?
    It's not so much that you need the Dom for the big tires, it's that you have a tendency to abuse the links with physical damage.

The stock TJ tie-rod is more than adequate and it's what, 3/4 .150 wall alloy tube? It will not bend under any amount of stress that the knuckles will withstand until you introduce a lateral impact of any kind. Then it folds like a soggy pancake.

The other issue is that Erik's option is not available to 98 percent of TJ owners as they lack the DIY fab skills to engineer around the passenger side spring and swaybar link mount. Trust me, the only way mine works is that I cheated and moved the spring buckets back and centered them over the axle tube. Most assuredly not for the faint hearted.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_L
    replied
    This will solve your steering woes..oh wait you can't buy this setup

Leave a comment:

• sarah
    replied
    Originally posted by flywaterguide
    thanks!
    told ya he forgot the ""
    hehe

Leave a comment:

• flywaterguide
    replied
    Originally posted by blkTJ
    just for the record... I take back the whole "Moab spotting" thing... that was kinda mean.

thanks!

Leave a comment:

• blkTJ
    replied
    just for the record... I take back the whole "Moab spotting" thing... that was kinda mean.

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    that is about right rick. well i bought a full stick of tubing to the tune of 200 bucks, and plan to sell the remaining section if someone else wants to make this steering.
    then i bought the rod ends which are about 20 bucks each except for the fancy one which is about 30 bucks.
    when i did this i built 2 sets so i would have a spare set, as i am quite sure no one would have any spares for me on the trail.

Leave a comment:

• rick
    replied
    $650 seems like an awful lot to spend on steering for an axle that possibly isn't up to the abuse... If you need 1.5" DOM steering, then I'm assuming that at least 35s, if not 37s are in the future? Why not just take the $ and apply towards a 44 with high steer knuckles and then you can run 1 ton hardware on that? Of course, I'm always looking at "opportunity costs" to justify my larger expenditures, and this one is a no brainer to me. If you want big steering, start with a big axle, or at least the one you will end up with! Just seems like a lot of money for a bracket and some DOM tubing... Or I suppose the setup Nailer has would be the same difference as a 44 when applied to a HP30. How much did you spend on that steering Erik, a couple hundred or so?

Leave a comment:

• dirtgrip
    replied
    Post #3 has an address. $650 + shipping.

Leave a comment:

• Bachman
    replied
    Wfhere can you order this U-turn stuff from, and what are they asking for iT?...

Leave a comment:

• blkTJ
    replied
    Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
    what 2 owners?
    since my personal opinion of shop owners doesn't necessarily reflect their ability to service customers, I'll stop short of naming names.

Leave a comment:

• blkTJ
    replied
    yeah, I was in a wierd mood yesterday... musta been jetlag.

Leave a comment:

• flywaterguide
    replied
    No, I can't make it down... I had some family stuff come up that's going to take up most of my holiday weekend.

that... and I'm afraid that my steering won't hold up on the long trip down.....KIDDING!!!!

Have fun and I'll be down there before too long.

Best,

FG

Leave a comment:

• NAILER341
    replied
    Originally posted by sarah
    i think brian forgot to add a ""
    i'm not sure he did....
    i think he's pissed off about the whole thing. :yay:

Leave a comment:

• Black & Tan TJ
    replied
    Is it me? Does this seem to be going a little off topic.

FG, comming south for the New Years run? I'd like to see your set up.

There, off topic.

Cheers and Happy New year! B&T TJ

Leave a comment:

• flywaterguide
    replied
    Which is why... when it came down to it... I made the best decision I could based on whatever information I could obtain.

As I've said... .five times before... only time will tell if it as a good or bad choice. The discussion regarding the U-Turn steering should be continued... hummm... maybe late summer.... when more "data" has been gathered.

Best,

FG

Leave a comment:

Working...
X