Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would get some of those expensive super hard drill bits of a tool truck and just drill them out.
    The carbide burrs don't really like hardened bolts

Comment

Got a local jeeper/welder who has a mobile service willing to come out and get-er-done for close to nothing! Yay... Lets hope it goes w/o issue(s).
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
        Got a local jeeper/welder who has a mobile service willing to come out and get-er-done for close to nothing! Yay... Lets hope it goes w/o issue(s).
        Sweet. Good luck.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Went to Laguna Niguel Yesterday to pull a TC out of a jeep with a RE skid plate. And the bolts would not break loose. So after trying three differrent impacts we got one screw out. Well the top of the bolt was corroded to the skid plate. So I took a air chisel and cut the head off the bit so it was flat on the end. So then we took the air chisel and beat on the skid plate and screws with it and then all the screws came right out. This might help someone in the future.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            Went to Laguna Niguel Yesterday to pull a TC out of a jeep with a RE skid plate. And the bolts would not break loose. So after trying three differrent impacts we got one screw out. Well the top of the bolt was corroded to the skid plate. So I took a air chisel and cut the head off the bit so it was flat on the end. So then we took the air chisel and beat on the skid plate and screws with it and then all the screws came right out. This might help someone in the future.
            Heat helps a lot with the flathead bolts, banging on them with an airhammer is good practice also

Comment

That was the first thing I asked him, but no torch. So air chisel was my only choice. Good thing I had ear plugs in my truck.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

you got lucky. I used an impact, a screw knocker, and an air chisel. No help. Tried heating them up with a propane. nothing. Started trying to drill off the heads then have to extract them... WAY to much work... I had 8 bolts to do....

Most everyone on this forum is a good 100 miles away so I went on jeepforum.com and found a good local SD forum with people who were willing to help. Went over to a member's home in Poway. We welded 1/2 inch grade 5 bolts to the RE bolts, waited about 30 seconds and took a 3/8 rachet w/no extension and they just turned right out.... Attribute it to a good bite or the heat or both but they just came out like nothing. I cant explain how hard and how much time I spent on those fawkers. Probably bought 7 T50 bits at close to 10.00 a pop. two drill bits at for about 25.00 Had to buy all new RE hardware for 45.00 and the PITA was enough for me to realize the importance of anti-seize and not over tightening bolts.. YIKES! When we welded the bolts on and they came of THAT easy, I was almost embarrassed.
                Cost of finally getting it done with help.. A 12-pack of Corona.
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Buy your shelf one of these. http://www.unitisonline.com/images/P...rch%20kit2.jpg I carry one in my jeep bag when I go on far away trips and to some where like the hammers. They cost about 50.00 bucks. A propane torch will not get the metal hot enough. Thats way went you welded the bolts together they came right out. You need to get the metal red hot.

Comment

Working...
                  X