Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: RE cross member bolts

Anyone know what the torx size is of the 12 or so female torx bolts that hold the RE cross member center section to the outer section? I am trying a T50 and its not snug. Already wasted 3 of them. These freaking bolts are so tight they seem welded on.

Is there such a size as a T51? or T52? A T55 is to big and the T50 seems a wee bit sloppy. Only thing RE mentions on their install PDF is a T55. That's for the trans case fill plug. WAY to big for these bolts.

I'm starting to get really pissed. Been all over hell today looking for the right size. Napa, Sears, Autozone, OReily's, Pepboys. Believe it or not Autozone's Duralast T50 lasted longer than the Craftsman, Im about ready to just drill them all out and find an alternative. This clutch job is laughing at me from the get go!
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Check http://www.cordovabolt.com/ They are in La Mirada for sure and I think they have another place in Riverside?

sorry just realized you're looking for the torx bit, not the bolt. They are available online diii-rect from China ifn you wanna order them form Kung Pow..
    Last edited by RAT; 09-20-12, 02:17 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Ok, I called RE and if anyone is interested, the p/n for 16 replacement bolts for the bottom of a RE LA cross member (ea) is HW1130 and you can get them through ORW or 4wheelparts for about 2.00 a pop. I think I'm just gonna get a fatty drill bit and drill off all the heads. The place that rebuilt my trans case a few yrs ago obviously used an impact gun and no anti-seize to put them back in. L O V E L Y...

Comment

Sure they didn't use Loctite Red?
        holes = cowbell

Comment

I got 3 of them off and went through two sockets getting that far. Some of the other ones are beat up enough to govern concern that they wont be coming off w/o drilling the heads out. I have been hunting and driving from 9am til 530pm looking for a freaking T50 impact socket. Apparently they don't exist outside of the internet business'.
          The T50's are a bit sloppy but I'll try one last time before I start cutting.
          Also if/when anyone needs to get a clutch, PepBoys has Luk clutches and flywheels for a great price.

43.00 for the 16 bolts.... I swear, if it's not one thing it's 16!
          Last edited by brokenujoint; 09-21-12, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Anyone in the San Diego area who has an air compressor and a garage who can help me impact these freaking bolts out. I drilled on one all day yesterday and its kicking my arsh. I got 13 more to go.. ! I have a air knocker to turn them out but I dont have an air compressor anymore or accepting neighbors to tolerate the 30 minutes of clanking.

Comment

Hey Kevin, don't you have a welder? Weld a bolt to the beasties and turn em out that way. If not, build a redneck rig. Two jumper cables and two batteries. Works for me on the trail. Pep boys sells some 5/32 lo-hi weld rod that is perfect for this.

Comment

I do not. Separation from the ex cost me a lot of my toys and tools ( and home). I think a bolt knocker will be best. I started drilled one of the bolts out and believe me, it seems like aircraft grade stainless steel. PITA! I have a york with about 130 psi max. I might just drive to some noise sensitive-less area and start busting them out. NO way I'm welding or drilling out 14 of these bolts. Would prefer a local jeeper who could accommodate but if not I'll figure it out.

Comment

Kevin have you tried heating them? That's why I asked about the Loctite Red--you have to heat it to 500* before it will let go. If I had been the guy installing your lift, I would have used it all over the place.

Also, PB Blaster works great.
                  Last edited by inVERt'D; 09-22-12, 09:54 AM.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                    I do not. Separation from the ex cost me a lot of my toys and tools ( and home). I think a bolt knocker will be best. I started drilled one of the bolts out and believe me, it seems like aircraft grade stainless steel. PITA! I have a york with about 130 psi max. I might just drive to some noise sensitive-less area and start busting them out. NO way I'm welding or drilling out 14 of these bolts. Would prefer a local jeeper who could accommodate but if not I'll figure it out.
                    Well if I lived closer you'd be welcome here. As a matter of fact you are welcome to bring it here but 100+ miles one way... Not so much ;(

Comment

Thanks.. Well, I got 10 of 16 out. Bad thing is that 5 of the remaining 6 are probably not save-a-ble &the last one is the one I've been drilling on so that's a commitment. Ordered up some T50 bits &getting the screw knocker from work. Also turned up my York 210 compressor on the jeep to 145psi. Didnt realize I had a 150psi rating on the tank and fittings. It was set at 100 for normal usage so that aint gonna work for an impact. Tried using the impact on the rest of them but the bit was to far gone to get a bite. Once I get this skid off it'll be a one day job on the clutch. Knock on wood.

Invert'd: I took a propane torch & applied some heat, not much help, plus I dont have an extinguisher so I was a bit weary about putting on TO much heat esp since the PB can says its flammable. Had a buddy at work nearly burn down a 767 using solvents & open flame so I have caution w/good reason. I've soaked all the bolts in PB though so I'll see if that helps. What did help was using a jack & some blocks of wood. I took a lot of weight off the part of the skid w/the head on it put it on the outboard section. Just enough to see if there was a weight distribution affecting the tension. Seemed to of worked on the right side of the jeep. Left side, not so well. The rest of the bolts aren't getting a bite. Went to Lowes to get a big enough drill bit but of course they didnt have it. Harbor Freight has what I need but they are retarded when it comes to quality/durability/performance. The way I see it now is that if i drill through & happen to screw up the female threads on the skid, i'll just run a nut and bolt. Aint detrimental.
                      Last edited by brokenujoint; 09-22-12, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Ok, this is becoming RIDICULOUS. I have all but one out on the right side and only 2 out on the left. That leaves about 7 or 8 that need to come off. It's time for the welder and nut idea. Ive used an impact and a screw knocker with zero help. Now the bolts are getting chewed up. Anyone in the SD area that has a welder and is a good welder? Thinking of going to a welder/muffler shop but not 100% confident with these types of places. Any help is appreciated, and needed.

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                          Ok, this is becoming RIDICULOUS. I have all but one out on the right side and only 2 out on the left. That leaves about 7 or 8 that need to come off. It's time for the welder and nut idea. Ive used an impact and a screw knocker with zero help. Now the bolts are getting chewed up. Anyone in the SD area that has a welder and is a good welder? Thinking of going to a welder/muffler shop but not 100% confident with these types of places. Any help is appreciated, and needed.
                          Dude, last resort, drive it up here and we'll bust those bastadzzz.. I know, too far but...

Edit: Do you have 220 single phase at your place?

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                            Dude, last resort, drive it up here and we'll bust those bastadzzz.. I know, too far but...

Edit: Do you have 220 single phase at your place?
                            If you guys want to "meet in the middle"... I have 220, but only a 110 welder, and I can barely use it.
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

That's a bit to far for me to drive esp since my clutch is giving up the ghost. It's drive-a-ble but I dont know about 200 miles +. I leave for Atlanta for 2 wks this wknd. When I get back I'll figure it out . I wanted to do the clutch job b4 the 1st so I could give my 30 day notice and move out but that isn't happening...

EDIT: Just got back from 2 different places. They pretty much want 150.00 to pull 6 bolts.. WHATS AFTER E AND BEFORE G? The answer= _ That!!!!

I used a port and polish kit on an engine build a number of yrs ago and that thing ripped through iron like it was butter, SO I'm getting http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900244/ and gonna just rip these little shiets out!
                              Last edited by brokenujoint; 09-28-12, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X