Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could my Springs to Soft?

I'm thinking my Springs may be to soft and causing my shocks to over heat? This will be my 4th set of Shocks in approx 20,000 miles, 90% if not more of those miles are in the dirt.

I purchased my Jeep used (05 Rubicon) and it had a 4" pro comp lift under it already. I run a lot of desert roads and often cut my own trail, most of the time I'm just slow moving 5 to 15 mph but on dirt roads at times I can be running 30/50 mph. Has anyone here had an issue where their Springs are just to soft and it was causing their shocks to overheat? I was thinking about putting new Springs just a little stiffer under it and buying another set of shocks. I'd like to avoid changing out the entire lift if I can. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Also any shop recommendations in the high desert would be great to.

What shocks do you have on it or keep getting? Procomp? Nitrogen or regular oil shocks?

Comment

I'm wondering.......

....what indicates the shocks are overheated?
      John & Kristi

Comment

Are the shocks the right length? Wrong size shocks wear can wear out faster.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

First of does the suspension bottom out a lot? if that is not a problem then you do not have a spring problem. Seems a set of good gas charged reservoir shock will cure your ills

Comment

I run Bilstein 5100 shocks. The aluminum tubes help get rid of heat. I didn't think I'd need remote reservoir like the 5150 but I can feel shock fade if I drive fast for a bit. Where my Bilstein's fade a lesser shock probably would have blown.
            Come to the dark side.....
            We have Cookies!

Comment

Sorry for not getting right back, been busy at work.

The rear does bottom out at times at slow speeds going over obstacles. I'm mainly just cruising along on dirt roads and occasionally cutting my own trail. I'll put on 200/250 miles in on a Saturday or Sunday sometimes.

I'm just guessing that the shocks are over heating because they go bad so quickly? And I was wondering if my Springs could be to soft and over working my shocks?

Yes they are the right length shocks for a 4 ' lift.

When I put shocks on, it rides great for awhile and then they just fade away and the ride goes bad. Just goes to rocking and rolling. Maybe I just need a good reservoir shock to hold up for the type of running I'm doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                Sorry for not getting right back, been busy at work.

The rear does bottom out at times at slow speeds going over obstacles. I'm mainly just cruising along on dirt roads and occasionally cutting my own trail. I'll put on 200/250 miles in on a Saturday or Sunday sometimes.

I'm just guessing that the shocks are over heating because they go bad so quickly? And I was wondering if my Springs could be to soft and over working my shocks?

Yes they are the right length shocks for a 4 ' lift.

When I put shocks on, it rides great for awhile and then they just fade away and the ride goes bad. Just goes to rocking and rolling. Maybe I just need a good reservoir shock to hold up for the type of running I'm doing?
                Buy good quality reservoir shocks at least for the rear and you will be glad you did

Comment

Not sure if it matters? but my lift is a 4" pro comp short Arm thats probably been on this jeep for 5 years.

Comment

Which ones would you recommend?

Comment

Some others can chime in on that, one Jeep has cheapo Rancho's and the other has coil over that work like a charm.
                      Something King or Fox ought to work well or what ever fits in the budget, that is pretty high quality that works well on whoops and what not

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Comment

go with bilsteins 5100s

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Bought the 5100's last week and installed them Friday after work. Drove it on the street Friday night, rode nice. Last night around 6:pm we decided to go for a desert run since it's been raining, had a blast but I'm hitting the bump stops on the rear in ruts, dips. Other then the spare tire carrier, fuel can (full), tire, and hilift jack not much else in the back.

When we installed them I measured the distance between the bump stops and it was about 3 1/2", the shock downward travel allows for about 4". That didn't seem right to me so I called a buddy and he checked his and said that's what he has also. His jeep 06 rubi has skyjacker springs, they're a little stiffer then my pro comps.

I'm still thinking my rear springs might be worn out, too soft? Maybe Im going to fast when i hit these dips/ruts? Maybe i'm just expecting to much? What do you all think?

Comment

Working...
                              X