Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing my rear springs- how do I... ?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Replacing my rear springs- how do I... ?

I broke a rear spring recently, and the MFR is sending me out two new ones so that I match (and this is after their warranty expired - AEV is totally cool). I've never done a spring swap before. It seems pretty straightforward, but last time I thought that, I ended up in the hospital. So....

What is the process?

Tools I have:
    1. 48" HiLift jack
    2. 3 ton sears floor jack (only goes up about 19" or so), with two jack stands
    3. Bunch of ratchet straps
    4. Basic (barely!) household tools

Do I need a spring compressor?
    What is the best way to get my rear end way up there so that I can swap in new springs?

Here is the culprit:
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Is this on your tj or jk? it should be similer install on both. If so its easy but I wouldn't use the high lift unless you have too. If those springs failed like that I would think twice about using them again. Unless they assured you the problem was corrected.
    1)block the front wheels.
    2) crawl underneath and disconnect the lower bolts on the shocks and let them hang, might have to disconnect to sway bar from the links too.
    3) jack it up under the pumpkin and put jack stands under frame and remove tires and then lower jack letting suspension hang. NOTE: Make sure the vent hose is disconected from the diff and any brake or air lines are not being stretched.
    4) remove the bumpstops on the inside of the spring an pull the springs out (should be easy looking at them)
    5) shoove new springs in,might need spring compressor ( i didnt with 4 inch currie spring) I used a pry bar
    6) put back on in reverse order
    If you want me to do it pm me, maybe we can work a deal.
    Last edited by Jeeperator; 03-03-11, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the info. This is for my LJ (TJ unlimited).
      Yeah, disconnecting the vent tube from the diff...no problem there! It got sheared off when the spring let go. You can see it in the photo.

It didn't occur to me to remove the bumpstop, I was just thinking I could articulate the axle far enough to have the spring drop out. Doh! I suppose you only need to remove the bottom bumpstop?

You're a bit far in Rancho. I appreciate the offer, but I should be able to handle this one without surgery. :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Might as well pick up a set of these before you do the job. Just make sure you compress them evenly or more surgery could be necessary. You just set them up on either side of the spring and crank them down a cupple of turns alternating between the two.

http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
          It didn't occur to me to remove the bumpstop, I was just thinking I could articulate the axle far enough to have the spring drop out. Doh! I suppose you only need to remove the bottom bumpstop?

You're a bit far in Rancho. I appreciate the offer, but I should be able to handle this one without surgery. :-)
          The bump stop help keep the spring in place when your really flexing out on one side. On a tj you have to take them off in order to remove the spring. Not sure on a jk where the stops are but if they are in the way make sure you take them off but remember you have to put the stops inside the new spring before you put the spring in the bucket.They might not squeeze through the coils after they are in. I have those harbor freight spring compressors OU812 posted a link to they work pretty good but I am wondering if you need them.How much lift are the new springs ? The job really easy I have no doubt you can do it in a few hours.

Comment

Springs are AEV 4.5" progressive coils fitted to the Nth Degree spring relocator brackets with AEV bumpstops on a Currie 4" short arm kit with 1" body lift

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
              Springs are AEV 4.5" progressive coils fitted to the Nth Degree spring relocator brackets with AEV bumpstops on a Currie 4" short arm kit with 1" body lift
              I think your going to need some spring compressors. My 4inch spring were pretty tight. If you could borrow a set from a buddy would be ideal because how often do you use those things. Allthough its nice to have them when you need them.

Comment

Call around to your local auto supply place as the one by my house will loan out tools . . . you just have to leave a deposit but I don't recall any fee as long as you bring it back. Might not need it, especially if you have an extra set of hands to manouver the spring and/or axle.
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

No need for a spring compressor, disconnect the shocks and the swaybar links, that is how those springs fall out on the trail.
                  Never seen a spring compressor used to get it to fall out on a trail. You flex the axle enough the spring will come out and go back in without even messing with the bump stops. I have done this more than a time or two. So Nathan you can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    No need for a spring compressor, disconnect the shocks and the swaybar links, that is how those springs fall out on the trail.
                    Never seen a spring compressor used to get it to fall out on a trail. You flex the axle enough the spring will come out and go back in without even messing with the bump stops. I have done this more than a time or two. So Nathan you can do this.
                    Exactly. I broke a rear shock and sway bar link a couple years ago on the same obstacle and the spring came out quite easily on its own on the trail.
                    Last edited by 4xfiend; 03-03-11, 04:54 PM.
                    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      x2
                      Might need to disconnect the track bar too if its binding. Otherwise leave the spring compressor at the tool store.
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Well, got it done today. Thanks for all the advice. For some reason, one side was very easy (possibly because my driveway has a bit of slope to it?), and the spring came right out and with a little effort was able to get the new one in. Didn't need to compress the coil or anything. But the other side was not nearly as kind to me. The coil spring compressor I borrowed from Autozone was useless. After a few too many tries with it, I took the spring and the compressor back dropped it on the counter and said, what do you have that's not's retarded? They gave me a strut compressor and that finally did it. Still had to remove the sway bar and track bar though. Somehow, the free end of the swaybar swung into the spring as I was cramming it into spot, and wedged itself very tightly in the spring coils. Dammit! So I removed the other end of the swaybar strut, got everything free again, then tried to figure out how to loosen the spring compressor with very limited work space. Thank goodness for gear wrenches! Then I fixed the diff breather hose, and now everything is good to go. Yay! I did something halfway mechanical and didn't break anything!

The victim:

The culprit

The new parts (flanking the old ones):

The location, ready for new springs:

The breather hose that needed repair:

Last edited by nwoods; 03-13-11, 08:41 PM.

TreadLightly Trainer
                        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Congrats on getting it fixed! Most of the tools I have borrowed from the Autozone have been horrible, flaring tool busted after two flares, torque wrench - busted, ball joint press - jacked up. But I am a sucker for free - so I keep trying!

Comment

Cool! I am glad you got it done. I have never seen both springs fallout at the same time on the trail in any jeep LOL. I knew one side was goin to be easy but once the one spring was in, the other side was going to be a bitch without a spring compressor unless you practicly remove the whole rearend driveline and all. Did you have to remove the bumps and spacers at all or did the spring fall in like was said earlier. A 4.5 inch spring with a spring relocator is equivelent to a at least 5.5 inch tall spring without a relocator. Thats alot of spring to fit in a tight space.

Comment

Congratulations! For some reason it always seems easier to break stuff than fix it.
                              God forgives, rocks don't
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                              X