Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
    So if the built-in tre is shot, then the whole tie rod is no good? Or can you rebuild the tre?
    No its not rebuildable that why I say find a tight one if the tre is loose dont get it.

Are you say'n that the passenger end is bolted on to the front side of the drag link(closer to the front bumper),too? Or are to say'n to make the drivers end the passenger end, so the built-in tre is at the knuckle?
    Make the drivers end the passenger end, so the built-in tre is at the knuckle. It will work fine the other way also if you dont have a tie rod otk flip sleeve.

One more thing, If I only replace the tie rod with the zj unit, and leave the stock tj drag link, am I asking for trouble in the future?
    No, it actually is 100% better than a pos hollow stock tierod and bolts right on. You can run this set up since the stock draglink is pretty solid.

I don't me to make this complicated, I just want to get it right the first time.
    No worries, I am sure if you do a search you can find out more info about this upgrade. I cant pull the jeep right now to take pics, sorry about that. Whats nice is it works either way with the tie rod otk flip or without so no worries.

Comment

Jeeperator, thanks again for all the info.

I went to the junk yard today and got me a ZJ tie rod. Only 21 bucks.
      Now I'm waiting for the flip insert to show up in the mail. I'm gonna replace the tie rod, and keep the TJ drag link, and see how that works. Thats only 45 bucks for parts. Compared to 400 for the Currie. My setup wont be as strong as the Currie, but if its strong enough, thats all I need.

BTW, if anyone is looking for some waggy 44's. I saw 2 sets at the wilmington pick your part today.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Try it out, that setup is strong should be fine for 90% of the jeepers out there. You can buy the hd currie draglink For ~$200 later if you feel like you need it.

Comment

Ok pulled the jeep out and was able to take some pics of my double flip zj tierod set up.
          Heres front view notice more clearence up off the ground and away from the rocks.

Almost full lock left notice with the factory bend lots of clearence from the sway bar mount without moving and rewelding it.

Lots of clearence full lock left from the diff cover too.

Allmost full lock right:

Comment

Beau, am I flipping or what? I don't see a double flipped anything, just the tierod end at the driverside is flipped from what I see.

Comment

Yes art your flipping , its fliped otk and fliped over from the way it was installed on the doner vehicle. If you install it the way it came off the doner it will hit the sway bar mounts and sits lower to the ground because of the bends. Do the math 1 flip +1 flip = 2 flips = double flip lol. Its just a name I came up with for this type of setup. You can call what you want like "save a $100 flip mod" kit or "flip you off mod" LOL. Who cares what its called, its cheap and it works.

Comment

I'll call it the 10% flip. I paid $24 for the otk insert kit. $23 for the entire tierod. i installed it in less then 2hrs. The Currie set up is $400. Thats about 10% of the cost, and about 90% of the strength, of the Currie. :gun:

I did mine tonight. It looks great. I'll post a pics soon

Comment

Here's a couple pics of the finished upgrade.

You'd think, with this done I wouldn't have any more questions. But I still have some.

On mine, the draglink and tierod are extremely close. I'm worried that they're gonna hit during full flex.

Jeeperator, are you using a stock pitman arm or a drop pitman arm? My lift came with the drop pitman arm. Cuz of that drop, it makes the steering very close together. There is no problems on the street. Just wondering about be'n on the trail.

Comment

Looks good, I dont have and wont run a drop pitman arm. Not to mention alot of people dont recomend it. Put the stock one back on if you still have it if not get one. Mine hasn't hit yet. Better check yours for clearence by driving up something or jacking up the drivers side.
                    Last edited by Jeeperator; 03-04-11, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X