Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much trimming?

Ok, I wanna run some 33x10.50 on a 4.5 inch lift on my xj. what wheel backspacing and how much fender trimming should i expect. Also same question with 32x10.50 tires. An for both, if i do trim the fenders a pretty good amount can i still make it look decent with fender flares? Any idea how much 4 rear yj flares would cost at a junkyard?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Backspacing: The Missus has 3.75" backspacing. Looks just fine but they do stick out a bit.

Trimming: If you don't get long enough bumpstops, you can expect the wheels to do a bit of "Trimming" on their own. We discovered this on the Mojave road trip. Having said that, you will need to trim back a bit, if running 33's with a 4.5" lift. The Missus has the RE 5.5" lift and she is still grabbing the insides of her wheelwells on full stuff. Somewhere on this BBS is a link to jeepin.com's article on how to do the fender trim. Just do a search (sorry too tired to hunt it down now).

Flares: The Missus just kept the stock jobs and put in removable mudflaps to stay in compliance. Having the extra wheel stick out makes for a nice step when fooling with items on the roof.

XJ resources
    http://www.socalxj.com
    http://www.naxja.org
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

So your wife's setup is...5.5 inch lift with 33's on 3.75 backspacing?
      B R E T T

Comment

yep
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

ok
          B R E T T

Comment

I run an RE 4.5" lift with 3/4" coil spacers and 33x10.50 BFG's. You have to cut the front fenders flush with the bottom of the turn signal first, then its all minimal trimming. This is only if you have the right backspacing on your wheels. With 5.25" BS (factory stock) your tires will tuck inside the fender perfectly. You will have to get 3" bumpstops from RE (not the 2" ones that come with the 4.5" kit)

I now run no flares because they got ate by rocks but with the flares it works out great.
            89' XJ, lifted, locked, exo caged.

Comment

What if i run the stock rims with wheel spacers. http://www.rocky-road.com/xjspace.html theres a link to see what im talking about. Would those work with the stock rims?

Or for $330.50 shipped i can get 15x7 with 3.5" backspacing.
              Last edited by JeepJunkie; 04-26-04, 10:19 PM.
              B R E T T

Comment

JeepJunkie: The Missus has 33x12.5's. The wider tires need a bit more clearance (less backspacing). I am not sure what the BS issues are with 33x10.5's.

Comment

In all honesty, you do not want to have 3.5" backspacing on an XJ. You have all kinds of rubbing problems. try to keep the backspacing aroun 4"-4.5" BS with 33x12.50 tires, with 33x10.50's the best backspacing would be 5.25" wich is the factroy stock.

Comment

Originally posted by CrawlBox
                    In all honesty, you do not want to have 3.5" backspacing on an XJ. You have all kinds of rubbing problems. try to keep the backspacing aroun 4"-4.5" BS with 33x12.50 tires, with 33x10.50's the best backspacing would be 5.25" wich is the factroy stock.

Ok, so if i run a 4.5" lift with 33x10.50 i can run those on the factory rims and trim the fenders and it should work?
                    B R E T T

Comment

Yup, its exactly what I run. You can ask alot of people from www.rcboards.com about my set up and they will all tell you how well it works. 03Jeepster on this fourm has seen my XJ in action and knows it works great.

Comment

Here are some pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/album/102081659BQnMXJ

Comment

ok you said you have coil spacers so do you have shackles or blocks in the back? what about an sye? i dont wanna have to do that unless i really absolutely need too, to much money.
                          B R E T T

Comment

what is the best backspacing for 31x10.50 on 4.5" lift. I decided against the 33's.
                            B R E T T

Comment

I put the spacers up front and no shackles in the rear and it sits perfectly level.

31's will work with factory BS, if you want new wheels go 4.5" BS.

Why such a tall lift and little tires?

Oh yea, no SYE was needed...I dident even use the T-case drop that came with the kit and I had no vibes at all. I do have an SYE/CV shaft now however.

Comment

Working...
                              X