Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tall is too tall with a short arm lift?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran the RE 4.5" for over a year. Swapped over to the 3.5" springs and the ride quality was greatly improved.

Now I'm going longarm, but I still think 4" is the best compromise between on road ride and offroad ability.

Comment

I wouldnt run anything more than 4" on a SA. After that you sacrifice on road handling and you'll turn your tj into a yj in that regard.
      offroad, you will get bucking and your putting to much strain on your arm mounts.
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
        For a number of yrs i ran my tj with a 4" lift and short arms by currie. I pushed my short arm to the maximum amount of flex that it could put out. I had a 4" suspension and a 1" body and some 3/4" spacers. It flexed well, was fine (so i thought) on road.
        Then after a few yrs of wheeling, my rear upper control arm mount started cracking out. I welded it up but it returned. then my other one started doing the same. Then i wasted a very expensive bilstein reservoir shock up front because when a short arm flexes, the radius of the arms really isnt adequate to keep your axle housings straight. in other words, well, heres a pic of what will happen with a SA and full flex.
        notice the housing is pulling rearward. the otherside would be pushing forward.

If your gonna do any real flexing, either limit it well, or go long arm.

To answer your question in a nut shell, I wouldnt go more than 3.5" of lift and keep your flexing to a minimum with SA'
        Holy smokes, Kevin? I havent seen you in a long a$$ time! I remeber that picture, thats my Dad's trailer your flex'n on at TDS!! lol How ya been man? (Remeber me?, RENEGADE from Rockcrawler.com). I'll send you a PM so I dont hi-jack this thread.

Comment

Working...
        X