Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tall is too tall with a short arm lift?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tall is too tall with a short arm lift?

I thought about how to ask this question with off road ability in mind. Or using words like articulation or flex or travel, but the truth is I really don’t like the looks of my jeep with the front lower then the back. There I said it. I want it to look better while mall crawling. So here’s my question. Have any of you run a spring greater then 4” of lift with a short arm lift? Oh by the way I do care about articulation, flex, and travel but I really want the nose dive look gone. I currently have a 4” short arm ProComp with a 1” body lift and 35’s on a 2005 Unlimited. With my hard top on I have a slight nose dive look, with the top off it looks like a 60’s muscle car with air shocks. (I’m exaggerating but you get the picture) Can I run a 4.5 or 5” spring with a short arm and not compromise the off road ability designed into the lift/Jeep?

Originally posted by Commandoman View Post
    I thought about how to ask this question with off road ability in mind. Or using words like articulation or flex or travel, but the truth is I really don’t like the looks of my jeep with the front lower then the back. There I said it. I want it to look better while mall crawling. So here’s my question. Have any of you run a spring greater then 4” of lift with a short arm lift? Oh by the way I do care about articulation, flex, and travel but I really want the nose dive look gone. I currently have a 4” short arm ProComp with a 1” body lift and 35’s on a 2005 Unlimited. With my hard top on I have a slight nose dive look, with the top off it looks like a 60’s muscle car with air shocks. (I’m exaggerating but you get the picture) Can I run a 4.5 or 5” spring with a short arm and not compromise the off road ability designed into the lift/Jeep?
    RE makes a 4.5 inch lift and I have run that set up for four years. Best damn short arm set up I've ever had. 4.5 is no problem with SA.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Try coil spacers( 3/4 to 2 " ) or Adjustable coil spacers (ACOS)
      by JKS
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I have a 4" suspension and 2" body.

Only options are spacer or have someone make you a custom spring for the rear. Deaver springs will do it. Even add 500lbs for weight of rear tire, etc. There is other spring companies that will help you as well.

Comment

For a number of yrs i ran my tj with a 4" lift and short arms by currie. I pushed my short arm to the maximum amount of flex that it could put out. I had a 4" suspension and a 1" body and some 3/4" spacers. It flexed well, was fine (so i thought) on road.
          Then after a few yrs of wheeling, my rear upper control arm mount started cracking out. I welded it up but it returned. then my other one started doing the same. Then i wasted a very expensive bilstein reservoir shock up front because when a short arm flexes, the radius of the arms really isnt adequate to keep your axle housings straight. in other words, well, heres a pic of what will happen with a SA and full flex.
          notice the housing is pulling rearward. the otherside would be pushing forward.

If your gonna do any real flexing, either limit it well, or go long arm.

To answer your question in a nut shell, I wouldnt go more than 3.5" of lift and keep your flexing to a minimum with SA'
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I have RE 4.5" with 1" body and the 2" spacer in front and 1" spacer in rear.. to eliminate the funny car look.. I do have limiting straps to prevent exactly what you're talking about... too much drop on 4.5" SA = broken shocks....

BTW the currie sway bar disco you have is in a very vulnerable spot for a tear in the side wall. I changed mine to above the shock tower. Oh ya.. ask me how I know.

NOtice the extra stick bubble gum I used

You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Originally posted by Commandoman View Post
              Can I run a 4.5 or 5” spring with a short arm and not compromise the off road ability designed into the lift/Jeep?
              For sometime I ran RE 4.5" up front and 3.5" rears for that same reason. But then recently put 4.5" on the rear. You'd probably be alright doing what your asking but take note of what others are saying about limiting the flex. I toasted the draglink end at the pitman arm on the Currie HD steering setup and got death wobbles.

Comment

I too have a 4 inch suspension lift with a one inch body lift,,trimed my flares about 1 and a half inches so far I don,t rub anywhere..(much!) and I have 4 and a half inch springs up front 4 inch in the rear and it sits purty straight..and I,m sittin on 35,s...

"A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

dang Geebo you went ballistic with the flat black sprayer i like it!!! when we go wheelin next time we're gonna look like paul mcartney and micheal jackson in ebony and ivory!

Comment

lol..Thanks I think Billy, I hope to get out again soon just a few things the jeep needs..
                    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'll keep my eye out for some 4.5 springs and get some straps. I didn't really give the shock angle much thought. Speaking of shocks, I wonder if a half an inch will be enough for me to have to get longer ones. I imagine not.

Comment

Those days are over, i use antirocks and am long armed now.
                        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Alot of guys that bought the SA RE superflex kit go with 3.5 inch springs(Which are really ~4 inches) with 4.5"(~5" really) jeeps are known to have bucking and jacking issues going up steep inclines. I am switching my 3.5" spring out for currie 4" springs. I think with a SA suspension with 4" springs and a 1 inch body lift is just right with 35" tires. Anything over that should be a mid or long arm to get your angle back on the arm. Not too mention keep the body lift below 1.5 inches any more just isnt right. The current trend is keeping a lower cog with bigger tires to get you up off the rocks , a good example is the koh vehicles none of them are lifted to the moon right?.
                          My rig with 3.5 inch tera flex springs and a 1 inch spacer up front because of the winch.I think it sits too high in the front and would like more rake. It just feels too lite in front going up really steep inclines.
                          Last edited by Jeeperator; 02-18-10, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I'm on 4.5" Currie short arm kit, with AEV progressive springs, Nth Degree spring relocators in the rear (and bump stops), and Nth Degree tummy tuck, 1" body lift, 3/4" spacers on 35" tires. Seems to be working pretty good.

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Good short arm control arms 4 to 4.5" of lift and 33 or 35" tires makes for a pretty nice wheeling Jeep.
                              Anything more than that much lift on the springs is not a good thing with a short arm suspension

Comment

Working...
                              X