Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear shock relocation

I went to my mechanics house today to raise and relocate the rear shock mounts on the YJ. Last time under the Jeep I noticed that the bottom brackets were bent, scraped, and one was almost torn off. So I ordered an upper relocating bracket from
    M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off Road Enterprises) and we installed it as well as installed new Terra Flex bottom chromolly brackets level with the axle. Ken used his plasma cutter to remove the stock bottom brackets from the rear axle, ground everything clean, and welded the new brackets on. The uppers are sold as abolt on relocating bracket, but Ken also welded that on for added strength. This moves the shock up 4"
    on both the top bracket and the bottom. Now I can go out and see what I can tear up next. This really gives a cleaner look from the rear.

Mitch

We will fix this problem

Mitch,

Looks stout!

Comment

I have used those shock mounts for a few years. They work great and wont bend or move.

Where did you get those u-bolt flip mounts?
      Money pit!

Comment

Paul,

The U-Bolt flip kit came from Dynatrac. Check out the thread on SWB from 1-28-08. You will need to change the search to "Last Year". I have some pictures and info as well as some pictures from others. On my Jeep, the threads on the down facing u-bolts went so bent and messed up that my mechanic had to use the cutting touch to remove them.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          Paul,

The U-Bolt flip kit came from Dynatrac. Check out the thread on SWB from 1-28-08. You will need to change the search to "Last Year". I have some pictures and info as well as some pictures from others. On my Jeep, the threads on the down facing u-bolts went so bent and messed up that my mechanic had to use the cutting touch to remove them.

Mitch
          Mitch,
          Thanks for the feedback! I have those huge U-Bolt skids hanging down below just waiting to grab a hold of a rock!
          I need to get some of those, but I couldn't who sold them!
          Money pit!

Comment

That looks nice! I like how the mounts are up and out of the way... one less thing to get hung up on, and one less thing to screw up!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Yeah, definitely an improvement. My TJ's rear shocks are already starting to look like yours and I got them less than 3 weeks ago... I'm thinking of an outboard setup.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                Yeah, definitely an improvement. My TJ's rear shocks are already starting to look like yours and I got them less than 3 weeks ago... I'm thinking of an outboard setup.
                I just bought all the stuff necessary for the "ford shock tower mod"
                http://stu-offroad.com/suspension/re...earshock-1.htm

As long as you have someone with a welder, (plasma cutter will be really nice too) then it should be a pretty nice mod.

I absolutely HATE the TJ rear shock mounting location. The lowers hang down way too far, and the uppers are impossible to get to. I cant wait to get this mod done.

YJ mounts looks pretty easy to modify. Looks good!
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

I absolutely HATE the TJ rear shock mounting location. The lowers hang down way too far, and the uppers are impossible to get to. I cant wait to get this mod done.
                  Thanks for the link, miguelito--I'll have to check that out.

As long as you have someone with a welder, (plasma cutter will be really nice too) then it should be a pretty nice mod.
                  Got a good welder, would love a plasma cutter, but a body grinder with cutting disks will have to do.

True that. The first time I replaced my shocks (2.5yrs ago), one of the top mounting studs snapped as I was unbolting it. I had to drop the fuel tank, jack up the body off the frame, squeeze in there with my dremel, and cut that little beotch out. There was more, but suffice it to say I was out there until close to 2am in a tank top and shorts while frost was forming on my Jeep. I drove it to work the next day.

BTW, my Bilstein 5100s were still working great after 2.5 years, until I blew one in Ocotillo on the 3rd--probably from too much droop/flex--need axle straps, I'm gonna check if it's stuffing to far too. Anyway, unsurpassed shocks for the money. I'm still running the fronts, and they see rutted road action every time I drive.
                  Last edited by inVERt'D; 01-27-09, 07:21 PM. Reason: typo--2am, not 2pm
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post

YJ mounts looks pretty easy to modify. Looks good!
                    I just did that to my CJ. I didn't need a plasma cutter. I was able to do it with my grinding wheel and cut off disks. I did however go through the tub.
                    Check out .

Comment

I had a similar issue with my rear upper mounts.... horrible.

-of course you can do this project without a plasma. I have a buddy that has one and is going to help me out with this mod so im stoked! prob will save me TONS of time!

ok sorry for the highjack
                      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Lucky you with the buddy and the plasma. I could use one now to install my full corners. The rear ford towers works great and look factory if done right. Make sure you tilt the tower in a little for clearance. You'll be happy.

Sorry Mitch.
                        Check out .

Comment

Checked that link out; I've actually read it before, but it was helpful to read it again.

That's a pretty nice setup, but there are a few things I'd want to do differently:
                          1) mount shock cylinder-up; that shock body is way too vulnerable to rock hits;
                          2) use a double shear (held on two sides, like the top) lower mount
                          3) on my double shear shock mount I'd want a skid to take the rock hits as well

Probably that type of lower mount stud was used because of the LCA mount being in the way. I'm curious to know if the shock was mounted cylinder-down due to clearance issues with the Ford upper shock mount.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

I agree and I bought the lower mount like you talk of from Currie. Since it will be mounted flush to the axle (nothing hangs down) wont need too much extra for a skid.
                            Also my cheapy RE shocks say they need to be mounted with the shock can down. Hopefully Ill take some pics of my install in a couple weeks

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                              I agree and I bought the lower mount like you talk of from Currie. Since it will be mounted flush to the axle (nothing hangs down) wont need too much extra for a skid. Also my cheapy RE shocks say they need to be mounted with the shock can down. Hopefully Ill take some pics of my install in a couple weeks
                              No doubt, Curry makes good stuff--especially for axles; I'd really like to see your setup when you get it...set up.

I believe your RE shocks would be referred to as immersion shocks, which need to be mounted can-down, as opposed to, for example, my rear Bilstein 5100s, which I believe would be referred to as non-immersion (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

It probably wouldn't hurt to try and make sure your setup would work with the shock mounted can-down before you do any cutting or welding. That way, when when that inevitable rock "opens up a can" on you, you can upgrade to a better shock and improve the setup.
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X