Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering a 96' grand cherokee...??

I know this would prolly be frowned upon here but i havnt had any luck looking on my own.

Im looking into dropping my zj.

Now dont get me wrong, im not looking to slam the thing or bag it or anything corny.

I love the SRT8 G.C. look. Its lower and has a real aggressive stance.

I dont wanna cut my springs, so thats not an option.

& all i really want is like a 1-3" drop... something reasonable that will allow an 18" wheel and tires setup to fit snug.

If i can find something along this line, then i will be rebuilding my engine eventually and adding some bolt ons for some decent power gains. Also gutting most of the interior and using as a track runner.

I have a honda prelude, as a daily driver so this thing isnt used most of the year & i'll have time to do all the work.

if you have any info for me please let me know.

& thanks in advance.
    -Brett
    96 ZJ. custom exhaust & intake & 91 Prelude Si 4WS.

El Pollo Loco

I'm sure this is just a joke . . . so I'll play along and take a stab at summing up the general consensus.

I know this would prolly be frowned upon here . . .
    - Correctamundo!

Im looking into dropping my zj.
    - Blasphemy! It's a Jeep not a hooptie.

Now dont get me wrong, im not looking to slam the thing or bag it or anything corny.
    - I beg to differ. You did say you were looking into dropping your zj right?

I love the SRT8 G.C. look. Its lower and has a real aggressive stance.
    -Aggressive meaning :dunno:. . . it looks cool at the mall, next to the Honda Pilot's and Land Rover's?

& all i really want is like a 1-3" drop... something reasonable that will allow an 18" wheel and tires setup to fit snug.
    - Again . . . BLASPHEMY! There's nothing reasonable about dropping a Jeep and unless you are running 40" tires, an 18" wheel has no business on there.

If i can find something along this line, then i will be rebuilding my engine eventually and adding some bolt ons for some decent power gains. Also gutting most of the interior and using as a track runner
    -You can't so just give up now. Now that you've come back to your senses . . . go ahead and rebuild the engine . . . that'll help power bigger tires and lift. Feel free to remove the interior too as that'll just weigh down the suspension and will make room for more recovery gear.

& thanks in advance.
    -No Problem . . . Anytime!!!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

hhahaha...

i wasnt joking but yeah thanks for the laugh anyways.

Im looking at something a lil less expensive than spending 1500-3000. on a decent lift for the zj. & then an additional 800-1500 on wheels and tires.

i mean, i'd spend about the same on street wheels and tires... but the original lift kit cost is whats killing me.

IM a car guy and my honda comes first the jeeps just a fun toy. So unless i get a much better job or hit the lottery theres no way i can afford lifting the jeep.

i mean i'd love to and i'd have plenty of help from my pops and brother ...cuz we all have jeeps as you can see below.

but the money is the problem, as it usually is.

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxic View Post
        if you have any info for me please let me know.
        Here ya go.....

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxic View Post
          hhahaha...

i wasnt joking but yeah thanks for the laugh anyways.

IM a car guy and my honda comes first the jeeps just a fun toy. So unless i get a much better job or hit the lottery theres no way i can afford lifting the jeep.
          I totally thought this was a joke after seeing the pics you'd posted up with your Jeep in the dirt, mud, and rocks. You've already got the Honda, so why not keep the Jeep equipt for fun in the dirt? Keep an eye on the for sale section, as you might find some sweet deals here . . . Good Luck

Comment

I like the look of the SRT. Stop hassling this guy...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
              I totally thought this was a joke after seeing the pics you'd posted up with your Jeep in the dirt, mud, and rocks. You've already got the Honda, so why not keep the Jeep equipt for fun in the dirt? Keep an eye on the for sale section, as you might find some sweet deals here . . . Good Luck

ehhh very true.

if i left it alone from this idea, it would be staying completely stock...if not for good. then for a long ass time.

i like going off roading and mudding, but gas is getting kinda crazy and the 5.2 loves to eat.
              -Brett

Comment

i cant even find a pic of a lowered zj? but i found this,

http://bp3.blogger.com/_Mp3aP_EdMrY/...h/tedsjeep.jpg

Comment

now see that looks retarted.

thats like a 15" drop...

i was only talking like 2-3.

I saw a dropped wrangler before w/ custom flares running like, 12" wide wheel... and a 40 or 50 series tire.

looked mean, had a nasty v8 swap too.
                  -Brett

Comment

Does the '96 have straight axles? If it does, could you put spacers between the leaf springs & axles to lower it?

I do have to agree with Schmo that this isn't a good vehicle to lower. You could burn in hell for all eternity for this sacralige.
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

g.c's dont have leaf springs...

but this idea isnt prolly going anywhere, i was just trying to gather information.
                      -Brett

Comment

AAAHHHHHHH! My eye's are burning!!! Look away!!!

"I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                            AAAHHHHHHH! My eye's are burning!!! Look away!!!

This is... well, I just can't come up with good word for it.

Ya know, maybe you should look at the Jeep from the standpoint of the versatility it expresses. You can go up and be cool, or go down and be cool. You sure can't jack up a Honda and drive around looking cool... Personally, I like the slammed look (with the obvious exception of the above picture). I'd never do it myself, but it is a cool look.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post

Joe you got too much time on your hands!
                              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                              X