Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmo, it would be cheaper for you to buy some new steelies (wheels) than to get the spacers, and then you can go to a 15" 8.5 rim and do those 33" tires justice... :2:

Roger, anything that keeps you on the trail is great! The shackle lift puts a bit of stress on the shackle mounts, so you need to check them every once in a while, but other than that its a cheap way to get some bigger tires..
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Jesse,

Thanks for the advice on checking the shackle mounts. What area fails? The connection to the frame? The bolt hole for the upper shackle connection?? What would you think about welding them to the frame?
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Yeah, I had a shackle lift on my ol YJ, I think with the stock leafs.
        I say I think, 'cause I bought it that way.
        The ride was very stiff. I think because of the bigger shackles were 'pushing' the leafs and therefore using some of the avail. travel. I did, however, leave the sway bar perm. disconnected. That seemed to make the ride far smoother than before. And since the leafs felt tighter, the jeep really didn't sway too much at all.
        And like Kodiak is saying, check them every once in a while.

:2:
        David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
        I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

mainly just cracks where the mount is welded to the frame, I mean we all need to inspect our jeeps regularly, but when you do the shackle lift you just got to have in the back of yer mind to look at the frame on those mounts. I don't want to freak you out or anything, heck I check mine just because I beat it all to heck...
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I broke a front shackle mount on Rattlesnake Canyon several months ago. Maxwell and the guys strapped my right front leaf spring to the bumper and I was able to drive home. I bought Currie Chromoly replace brackets, had the old ones cut off and welded on the new ones. I don't expect that problem again. I have heard that this is a weak point for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              I broke a front shackle mount on Rattlesnake Canyon several months ago. Maxwell and the guys strapped my right front leaf spring to the bumper and I was able to drive home. I bought Currie Chromoly replace brackets, had the old ones cut off and welded on the new ones. I don't expect that problem again. I have heard that this is a weak point for sure.

Thanks Mitch for the heads up, I'll be constantly checking. . .
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

I installed the shackles and I carefully looked at the upper shackle maounts. They are bolted on to the frame with rather large bolts (2 ea). They look heavier that the springs them selves. I guess this is another difference between a CJ and a YJ. However, I will take you guy's great advice and check them regualrly. I've added this to my pre-flight checklist!

I kind of chickened out installing the 1" body lift kit by myself. I'm going to try to recruit a friend to help me. I just don't have the self-confidence... I envy you guys who can fearlessly tackle anything.
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

I put a body lift on my yj to clear my 33's. I looked at all the kits and for the price decided to make my own. I bought 6061aluminum 3 in round and cut it to 1 3/4 and drilled a 5/8 in hole in it. I used grade 5 bolts and it went off without a hitch. Total cost was less than 60 bucks. What do ya think of the results ?
                  An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Hey there VVJEEPFREAK,, that looks really good ,just like my Daystar kit but I paid 129.00 for it..really good job!!
                    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Nice looking tj you got Geebo

Comment

You'll enjoy it. My 12 year old and I did the 2" body lift with a 4" spring lift and 2" shackle lift over a weekend and really enjoyed doing the work.

We now have plenty of clearance for our 35' and it rides really nice as well. Just have fun working on your jeep it's great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          I installed the shackles and I carefully looked at the upper shackle maounts. They are bolted on to the frame with rather large bolts (2 ea). They look heavier that the springs them selves. I guess this is another difference between a CJ and a YJ. However, I will take you guy's great advice and check them regualrly. I've added this to my pre-flight checklist!

I kind of chickened out installing the 1" body lift kit by myself. I'm going to try to recruit a friend to help me. I just don't have the self-confidence... I envy you guys who can fearlessly tackle anything.
                          Hey Roger let me know if you need a hand with it. Its really easy to toss on.

Comment

Originally posted by VVjeepfreak View Post
                            Hey Roger let me know if you need a hand with it. Its really easy to toss on.
                            Hey thanks for the offer. I will PM you.

What a great bunch of people here on MJR!
                            MJR moderator
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by VVjeepfreak View Post
                              I put a body lift on my yj to clear my 33's. I looked at all the kits and for the price decided to make my own. I bought 6061aluminum 3 in round and cut it to 1 3/4 and drilled a 5/8 in hole in it. I used grade 5 bolts and it went off without a hitch. Total cost was less than 60 bucks. What do ya think of the results ?
                              love it good job. build it don't buy it.

i want this jeep

Comment

Ive noticed that its fun to build what you can and its cheaper alot of the times. This was my first attempt at making body pucks. I just kinda look for what I think I can make and start from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X