Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel shakes

My alignment is good, tire pressure good, and tires have been rotated & balanced. I don't see anything bent. Between 35-40 mph, my steering wheel begins to shake really bad. Any slower or faster and it seem fine. Any suggestions that you can give so Kodiak Spirit can fix it???

I had that problem after I put on my BB. It was aligned, tires balanced and everything else good. Then for X-MAS i got a OME steering Stablizer...after I put it on..shaking went away
    Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

It's commonly referred to as "death wobble" ... try doing a search ...
      example 1
      example 2
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

with engine off, have someone knowledgable look at you steering components, then move the steering wheel back and forth slightly, and ck for play,loose or worn parts,,, also make sure the pitman arm is tight
        06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
        07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

sounds like a tire balance or driveshaft balance/cv problem.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I beat on all that stuff under the front of the jeep with a 5# hammer and its all good now. Just like an old CB, sometimes you just gotta smack it to get it to work.

no really is this still a problem sis?
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

the "death shake" is usually caused by a loose track bar or a worn track bar bushing. if you tighten up the bolt on the frame bracket it should diminish if not solve the problem. it could also be a problem with the control arms but the track bar is a solid bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                I beat on all that stuff under the front of the jeep with a 5# hammer and its all good now. Just like an old CB, sometimes you just gotta smack it to get it to work.

no really is this still a problem sis?
                Yes, it is still a problem and getting worse! I knew if I posted for help it would get your attention

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                  It's commonly referred to as "death wobble" ... try doing a search ...
                  example 1
                  example 2
                  Sarah, I didn't think it was the "death wobble" because it doesn't feel like the jeep or tires are wobbling - just shaking of the steering wheel. After reading all the stuff, I guess it is. Thanks for the help, Jess will get right on it (now that I got his attention)

Comment

I still think you should take it back to 4 west and have them tighten it all back up and re-align the front lift.... you got it there and they should stand by their work... just because they work bankers hours and you will totally have to bang into work to take it down, don't let that discourage you!

Comment

Originally posted by irishjeeper View Post
                      the "death shake" is usually caused by a loose track bar or a worn track bar bushing. if you tighten up the bolt on the frame bracket it should diminish if not solve the problem. it could also be a problem with the control arms but the track bar is a solid bet.
                      why would a loose trackbar only wobble between 35 and 40 mph?
                      myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
                        Sarah, I didn't think it was the "death wobble" because it doesn't feel like the jeep or tires are wobbling - just shaking of the steering wheel. After reading all the stuff, I guess it is. Thanks for the help, Jess will get right on it (now that I got his attention)
                        you keep guessing all you want. then get your tires balanced. if that doesn't fix it, remove the front driveshaft. if that doesn't fix it get the rear driveshaft balanced.
                        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Tires were just balanced, but the way DJ drives, that front driveshaft has prolly spent more time bangin' into rocks than my whole jeep...

Comment

Tires were just balanced, but the way DJ drives, that front driveshaft has prolly spent more time bangin' into rocks than my whole jeep...
                            sometimes, if you've got a lazy balancer, they don't remove the weights and do a fresh balance. they add weights or move the existing weights slightly until it comes out "o.k.". this doesn't make for a good balance.

any time you air down your tires there's a chance for them slipping on the wheel. this negatates the best balance ever.

if the vibration is about 3 cycles a second I'd say tires. about 10 cycles a second, I'd say driveshaft. :2:
                            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I still think you should take it back to 4 west and have them tighten it all back up and re-align the front lift.... you got it there and they should stand by their work... just because they work bankers hours and you will totally have to bang into work to take it down, don't let that discourage you!
                              Unfortunately I can't just "bang into work" since we have FITD coming up. The earliest I'd be able to get into 4 West would be October 1st!!

Comment

Working...
                              X