Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deamer View Post
    one thing to consider with the Nth Degree skid is that the RE skid plate leaves about 8 inches of your auto transmission pan exposed. The Nth Degree skid will do nothing to protect the tranny pan. Not a problem with the manual tranny. Thats what I like about the skid row skid, makes almost a solid skid from the exhaust crossover all the way back to the rear of the RE skid.
    Not so sure I agree about the manual tranny comment. I have the Nth degree skid (BTW, MAJOR pain in the @$$ to install if you have headers! otherwise it should be easy.) I have an interesting scrape on my bell housing that I am trying to figure out how to protect...

The Nth degree seems to take a fair amount of abuse without showing much wear, so far! :present:

I am interested in anyone's opinion of how to protect the area that I have a scape....
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

The point I was trying to make with that comment is that the manual doesnt have a thin little pan on the bottom. If the hit you took was on the auto trans pan you would have been scooping up your fluid. I gotta stop posting when i am so sleepy. heheh
      Dennis
      04 TJ
      4.0/Auto
      RE 4.5 Long Arm
      Rock-It Man Rockers
      33x12.50 BFG A/T
      desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Deamer View Post
        The point I was trying to make with that comment is that the manual doesnt have a thin little pan on the bottom. If the hit you took was on the auto trans pan you would have been scooping up your fluid. I gotta stop posting when i am so sleepy. heheh
        Oh!!! Got it. You are absolutely right about the tranny pan. Without coverage, my scrape would have been a show stopping event!
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Now that I see a pic of what the Nth degree pan looks like, it seems like it only goes around the oil pan itself. I tried one like this from Rock It Parts and the pan sides, barely fit inbetween my oil pan and the exhaust system. The exhaust actually rubs on the skid. Kodiak Spirit said no good will heat up oil quicker. So, I returned it. However, I noticed the Nth degree has shorter sides so it might work.

Comment

I'm on my 3rd oil pan THIS YEAR...
            $30 from the u-pull-it in rverside for a new pan, and I sprang for the nice metal/rubber reusable gasket a while back.
            why buy a new one? oil pans certianly don't rust or wear out, and the 2wd cherokee I pulled mine from don't have any rock rash.
            I made a skid for mine now, and it's holding up very well.

side note..
            a couple years ago I hit the oil pan pretty good, but I ignored the dent. a few months later I was wheeling in O-wells at night and noticed that I started to lose oil pressure. I got it home and pulled the oil pan expecting the pick up to be smashed, but the oil pump itself had almost fallen off. apparently the vibration from the pick up on the pan had worked the oil pump bolts loose. One of the bolts was in the bottom of the pan, and the other was 4 turns out. Another hour of driving would have meant 0 oil pressure.
            It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

That Nth degree slider looks good to me Jewel, but you should git something to protect that slushbox of yours. If you havent got a line on a pan yet I will let you have that one off of the 4.0 I have in the garage, I need to start the tear down soon anyways.

but whatever you git make sure they throw in sum stickers!
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
              X