Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dented my Oil Pan

Before the Desert Jewel was lifted, I put a couple nice, big dents in my oil pan. They are causing some problems with the plug. Any suggestions on what I should look into getting to replace the stock one? Another stock one or is there an aftermarket one that is better and stronger?

I looked into getting an oil pan skid plate that bolts onto the frame, but with my RE Long Arm lift, I think it would get in the way of the control arms. Not to mention, now that she is lifted, I don't think I will be hitting it anymore.

Suggestions??

i'm gonna go with the cheapskate vote and suggest calling a local jeep junkyard and see if you can get a used stock one with no dents for almost no money. if you're handy you can probably even change it yourself, although i haven't done this so i can't vouch for the skills or tools required.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

As far as skid plates go I have the Skid Row long arm skid. I also have the RE 4.5 LA lift. It fits good except I didnt quite install it correctly and it rubs the front driveshaft a little at full flex. Just havent had time to shift it over. A week after I got mine lifted I had a fluke accident where a small piece of metal fell off a truck in front of me and punched right through the front of the transmission pan. Dumped my fluid all over the 14 freeway. Here is the link to the skid. http://www.skidplates.com/engine_ski...arms_97_TJ.htm
      Going by the first pic on the page it looks like they narrowed the skid plate a little. Mine is like the one on the bottom 3 pics.
      Last edited by Deamer; 08-21-07, 12:08 AM.
      Dennis
      04 TJ
      4.0/Auto
      RE 4.5 Long Arm
      Rock-It Man Rockers
      33x12.50 BFG A/T
      desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

I have the Nth oil pan skid. Haven't bashed it on rocks yet so I can't vouch for how sturdy it is, but it looks/seems sturdy?!?
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I think my new oil pan was about ~$130 and the new single piece gasket was ~$20 from 4 Wheel Parts. I had a friend help me swap mine out (many thanks to Chuck Jones!). You have to disconnect the exhaust below the end of the exhaust manifold, remove the starter and then remove the old/install the new. It's not really too difficult. Just a little awkward under there. I have a Tomken engine/oil pan skid and would not recommend it. I'm only running it for now because it was given to me, and I figure it's a little better than nothing.

I don't think the odds are going to be too good for finding an oil pan at the junk yard, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
          -Bob
          '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

We purchased a replacement oil pan at www.wholesalemopar.com. The pan was about $90 and the gasket was around $30.

We replaced the rear main seal at the same time, as it had a very slow leak.

Chris likes the Nth Degree oil pan skid as well. Im in the same boat you are, and currently dont have one,. I already need to replace the "new oil pan" as SOMEONE, drove my Jeep like a MADMAN, and slammed the pan into some rocks at Calico.

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
              I looked into getting an oil pan skid plate that bolts onto the frame, but with my RE Long Arm lift, I think it would get in the way of the control arms. Not to mention, now that she is lifted, I don't think I will be hitting it anymore.
              Never say never, I've hit my oilpan skid hard and I am on 35s.

Several companies make skids that bolt on to the lip of the RE pan and forward below the MM brakets. I myself am using a Tera skid- but only as a better than nothing option.

Comment

sounds like someone needs to make a replacement pan that is armored to begin with....

and maybe gives us an extra quart of oil,

maybe a return fitting for an oil cooler,

hmmm....
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                  I already need to replace the "new oil pan" as SOMEONE, drove my Jeep like a MADMAN, and slammed the pan into some rocks at Calico.

Tam
                  Who would you be talking about here.... Hmmmm I think I have a picture of that rock rolling under your Jeep
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

After you change the oil pan and gasket........ I highly recommend the Nth Degree oil pan skid plate. It is only $155.00 and well worth it.

Brett
                    offroadwerkz.com
                    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                      After you change the oil pan and gasket........ I highly recommend the Nth Degree oil pan skid plate. It is only $155.00 and well worth it.

Brett

How tough is installing the Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid Plate? Is it a simple bolt on peice or is there more to it?
                      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                        How tough is installing the Nth Degree Oil Pan Skid Plate? Is it a simple bolt on peice or is there more to it?
                        Bolt on. It uses existing holes in the block and on your transmission. Couldn't be easier! I'll try to remember and take a couple pics tomorrow.
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post

Brett
                          The Nth Degree oil pan skid plate won't interfere with the RE control arms?

Comment

Chris says it wont
                            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

one thing to consider with the Nth Degree skid is that the RE skid plate leaves about 8 inches of your auto transmission pan exposed. The Nth Degree skid will do nothing to protect the tranny pan. Not a problem with the manual tranny. Thats what I like about the skid row skid, makes almost a solid skid from the exhaust crossover all the way back to the rear of the RE skid.
                              Dennis
                              04 TJ
                              4.0/Auto
                              RE 4.5 Long Arm
                              Rock-It Man Rockers
                              33x12.50 BFG A/T
                              desert racing stripes, creased oil pan, and a new shiny transmission pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X