Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• u-joint job so far...

Alright.. so I have beaten the living hell out of my, as it turns out, very rusty jeep and have taken half of one u joint out in a record time of oh... 4 hours. half done.. one side. But anyway.. I have hammered the bearing end of the ujoint out of the yoke ear. But it seems like the end of it it wants to stay put. I know I am supposed to do something here and then hammer it back through to get at the other side of the u joint, but what are my options? Do I just continure to hammer the piss out of that bearing until it shatters? Do I cut it? Because if I just hammer it back through now, I'll only be back from whence I came.

pull the first cap out with a pliers/vicegrip etc... then press the other cap as far out as you can with the ujoint. pull the second cap out with a pliers/vicegrip. repeat.

when in doubt check stu's site.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

A big arbor press helps a lot if you can get to one. Or even a decent bench vice.

Try dousing the whole mess with liquid wrench and leave it overnight, or at least for a couple of :beer:

blkTJ is right in that the bearing cap only presses out 3/4 of the way - the last bit needs a vice grip or such. This could be where the rust has siezed in the yoke. Don't go too crazy, you can damage the yokes and then...well more parts.

Are you sure you removed the snap rings
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Cant see it too well in this one, but it was quite rusty. Oddly, one ear I had to grind the crap out of the caps.. and they were still stubborn.. then the second ear worked out just as blktj suggested.

Thanks guys, for the help.
        Still have to put the new one in, and then do the other side, but I'm going to have a "I got one friggen u-joint out" party first.

Comment

douse the other side with liquid wrench first - it really helps.

If you need some gently used Yukon shafts let me know.

Comment

A u-joint press comes in handy for that type of thing. Are there harbor freights in Canadia land? Mine was under $30 and helps make the job much easier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38335

I must have gotten it on sale for $29, because $30 sticks in my head for some reason. I don't think I'd pay $40 for that.
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

So.. there is a 50/40 chance that I bent an ear. Which is great because I love this experience.. (Im actually crying right now) Perhaps I didnt however, my problem is that one snap ring JUST doesnt fit - by a nanothousandth of an inch. I'm thinking I might grind down an old snap ring just a hair and it should fit. Has anyone experienced this?

Oh.. and I am dousing the other side right now and am also looking into that harbour freights dealer in canada. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FromLadaToJeep View Post
                So.. there is a 50/40 chance that I bent an ear. Which is great because I love this experience.. (Im actually crying right now) Perhaps I didnt however, my problem is that one snap ring JUST doesnt fit - by a nanothousandth of an inch. I'm thinking I might grind down an old snap ring just a hair and it should fit. Has anyone experienced this?

Oh.. and I am dousing the other side right now and am also looking into that harbour freights dealer in canada. Thanks
                you didnt bend an ear, you laid a needle bearing on its side in the cap.
                pull the damn thing back apart and do it again.
                if you try to force it, you'll blow the bottom of the cap out.
                this is where the fun really gets started

don't forget the grease the thing after you get it installed.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                  if you try to force it, you'll blow the bottom of the cap out.
                  this is where the fun really gets started

don't forget the grease the thing after you get it installed.
                  x2, If all the needles aren't against the walls of the cap and one falls down it will seem like the ring is too big, you bent an ear, the u-joint is too tall or something else strange is going on.

If you were using just a hammer and vice grips and bent an ear, I'd hate to run into you in a dark alley!
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                    I've been mulling over this all day.. suicide, or pull the damn thing back apart.. suicide, or pull the damn thing back apart.. suicide is lookin good, but I think I'll give er one more go tonight.
                    Thanks alot for the heads up on the needle..

Comment

Just in case you really fawk something up I do have 2 sets of spares in my garage that I would like to get rid of!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aston View Post
                        Just in case you really fawk something up I do have 2 sets of spares in my garage that I would like to get rid of!!!
                        There is a good chance I will need to buy those off you... but Im going to try things sober tonight and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by FromLadaToJeep View Post
                          I've been mulling over this all day.. suicide, or pull the damn thing back apart.. suicide, or pull the damn thing back apart.. suicide is lookin good, but I think I'll give er one more go tonight.
                          Thanks alot for the heads up on the needle..
                          Yeah, I'd have to say as frustrating as this can be (and it sounds like we've all dropped a needle bearing before), Taking it apart again is your better option. Good luck.
                          I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

You guys were right..farking needle bearing in there. So a huge thanks to you.. I'll buy you all a beer when I head down that way. Remind me to change my username just before then
                            Umm, yeah.. so one u-joint in two days.. not bad. I drove it around and nothing blew up and no one died. Mind you, I did drive it in the garage in 4wd (with tires completely straight), then I jacked it up and moved the tires and while I turned one the other just sorta pretended to move. It wiggled an inch and then stopped. Hoping this just has to do with the hoover vacuum thingie on my axle. Anyway.. nothing ground or screamed. The other side was calling out my name on turns, but other then that.. I think things are fine. Thanks again, I really couldnt have done it without you guys. Well, I could have, but I'm sure as I turned out of my driveway a tire would fly off and hit some poor child in the face. I hate when that happens. So thanks.

Comment

Got the second done in about an hour. Now I need another project. Thanks guys. Seems to be working great.

Comment

Working...
                              X