Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stock Rubi needs some lovin'!

Hoping to get some advice from those who have already "been there and done that"! I've got a stock 06 Rubicon and would like to . . . over time . . . turn it into an off-roading beast! I figured I'd start by throwing some 33's on her (31's on 16's now). . . and am already having to place my preverbal tail between my legs and ask for help. Do I have to lift her to squeeze the 33's in there? If so, what's the best set up as I want to be able to go thru the tippy mountain/desert trails, but also want to be able to clear the rock gardens, etc. While I'm feeling pathetic what skid plates, rock rails, etc would you recommend?

Thanks Everybody!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

get armor and wheel the crap out of it. spend your first two years enjoying trails that are doable on 31s. then, when that gets boring, set up your jeep for 35"+ tires and take it to the next level.

gen right gas tank skid.

rock-it-man rockers.

nth oil pan skid.

diff guards of your choice (not turbo city).

steering box skid if you feel so inclined.

short, stout bumpers.

:2:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

you can definetly do 32" MTR's on that rig right now, and the MTR's are true size, so they would be 2" more than 31 BFG MT's, and basically the same size as most other brand 33's. 33" MTR's are pushing it a bit, you might want a 1" bodylift, if you are going on the cheep, but some people are really against body lifts, so be carefull!

I do agree with BlkTJ you can do quite a bit right now while you are saving up for the armor, and if you do scrape a bit in the meantime, the armor will cover it up when you do get it!
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Thanks guys!

Any suggestions on where to go for these items? I figure with the size and weight, shipping might get a bit pricy. I thought I'd start off with rock rails and whatever guards/plates are most critical for trails like Miller Jeep, Big Bear, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          Thanks guys!

Any suggestions on where to go for these items? I figure with the size and weight, shipping might get a bit pricy. I thought I'd start off with rock rails and whatever guards/plates are most critical for trails like Miller Jeep, Big Bear, etc.
          Some places offer free shipping on certain things at certain times. I've had good luck with David at northridge4x4.com although I know some others who haven't. Try there, 4x4groupbuy.com, and many more... try looking around!

I've found that trying to buy parts online even with shipping, tends to be cheaper. 4west is really expensive, but also really convenient (when i'm working on my jeep at home and forget something)!
          Last edited by Materdaddy; 07-10-07, 11:07 PM.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Raffles... !

The Fun in the Desert event out in Johnson Valley at the end of september is gonna have a crazy good raffle this year!
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

you would be suprised what a stock rubi can do. i sometimes miss being at stock height. made things more challenging

Comment

I decided to go with a Rubicon Express 2inch BB (she's getting it installed as I type!). I've also ordered the JKS quicker discos and will hopefully have those for Big Bear next weekend. I'm leaning towards the Rockcrawler Side Guards, as I'm not quite ready to punch holes in the side of my cab just yet (ie: Rock-It Man). Still weighing whether or not to throw on 33 MTRs right away or hold off for a bit as I've only got 14K miles on my 31s now.

Comment

Do yourself a FAVOR.. Get-it-done the right way the 1st time around. i know that the cost of things can suck, but trust me a 3k lift is better than a 450.00 lift then a 1000 dollar fix for it then a 3000.00 lift that you should of gotten in the 1st place. take your time and plan stuff out and stick to the plan and dont change your mind 10 times. ill will save you thousands of dollars.
                  1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Talk to Brett and Offroad Werks!(fun4wheelerguy) I know he can set you up with what ever you would need. Honest mechanic with a lot of knowledge

My Mechanic - Off Road Werkz
                    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977
                    [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                      Hoping to get some advice from those who have already "been there and done that"! I've got a stock 06 Rubicon and would like to . . . over time . . . turn it into an off-roading beast! I figured I'd start by throwing some 33's on her (31's on 16's now). . . and am already having to place my preverbal tail between my legs and ask for help. Do I have to lift her to squeeze the 33's in there? If so, what's the best set up as I want to be able to go thru the tippy mountain/desert trails, but also want to be able to clear the rock gardens, etc. While I'm feeling pathetic what skid plates, rock rails, etc would you recommend?

Thanks Everybody!
                      i'm siding with brian (blkTJ). get a 2-2.5" lift, full armor, save money on all the other crap, and beat the piss out of it for a few years while you're learning how to drive. with a 2" lifted rubi you can do 96% of the trails in existence. brian does the other 4% which actually require heavy modification.

remember, it's a jeep. it can go there. just learn how to drive and use your brain to judge the obstacles and you'll be fine. remember a built rig can't make up for bad driving.
                      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
                        i'm siding with brian (blkTJ). get a 2-2.5" lift, full armor, save money on all the other crap, and beat the piss out of it for a few years while you're learning how to drive. with a 2" lifted rubi you can do 96% of the trails in existence. brian does the other 4% which actually require heavy modification.

remember, it's a jeep. it can go there. just learn how to drive and use your brain to judge the obstacles and you'll be fine. remember a built rig can't make up for bad driving.
                        X2!:gun: I think thats how most of us have learned how to drive these trails so well
                        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                          Do yourself a FAVOR.. Get-it-done the right way the 1st time around. i know that the cost of things can suck, but trust me a 3k lift is better than a 450.00 lift then a 1000 dollar fix for it then a 3000.00 lift that you should of gotten in the 1st place. take your time and plan stuff out and stick to the plan and dont change your mind 10 times. ill will save you thousands of dollars.
                          x2... not getting rock-it man rockers because you have to drill holes in your tub is a huge mistake!!!
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X