Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you shouldn't be able to rotate the tires in 4wd.

the fact that the other side turned the opposite direction means your axle shafts and spider gears are most likely in tact.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
      you shouldn't be able to rotate the tires in 4wd.

the fact that the other side turned the opposite direction means your axle shafts and spider gears are most likely in tact.
      yeah.. thats really weird cause the rears were on the ground and I made sure the 4wd light was on b4 I turned the engine off. Can they pop out or something? Will have to do another check. Thanks.

Comment

if the engine was off the front disconnect vaccume motor would not be keeping that front axle "live" I would replace the u-joints and call it good, run a bit and listen for the noises again. if you have some extra cash, you might want to replace the vaccume system with a aftermarket cable system, or get a new shaft for the right side and get rid of the disconnect alltogether. if you have an open diff in the front, and it sounds like you do, it wont be a big deal to just 86 the disconnect buisness. you can also make sure that the vaccume lines are hooked up, they often get old and dry and fall off.
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
          if the engine was off the front disconnect vaccume motor would not be keeping that front axle "live" I would replace the u-joints and call it good, run a bit and listen for the noises again. if you have some extra cash, you might want to replace the vaccume system with a aftermarket cable system, or get a new shaft for the right side and get rid of the disconnect alltogether. if you have an open diff in the front, and it sounds like you do, it wont be a big deal to just 86 the disconnect buisness. you can also make sure that the vaccume lines are hooked up, they often get old and dry and fall off.
          thanks, I don't know much about all that YJ crap. :yay:
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

With an open diff (which you do have) you will be able to rotate the tires in 4 wheel drive. The driveshaft wont spin with the back tires on the ground but the tires will spin in opposite directions. I suggest getting a pair of Spicer u-joints rather than the cheapo versions. Do not continue to drive the rig until you replace them. If they break or wear too far you will damage the axle yokes (don't ask me how I know this).
            I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul B View Post
              With an open diff (which you do have) you will be able to rotate the tires in 4 wheel drive.
              are you sure?
              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

yeah, the only reason you would not be able to spin the tires is if their was a locker in there. The open diff or even limited slip will let the tires rotate opposite of each other even if the driveshaft won't move because the t-case is engaged. (tires up in the air of course)even a detroit or lunchbox locker will let the tires spin unless you really wrench on 'em

and replacing those u-joints at home is a lot better than on the trail
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                  yeah, the only reason you would not be able to spin the tires is if their was a locker in there. The open diff or even limited slip will let the tires rotate opposite of each other even if the driveshaft won't move because the t-case is engaged. (tires up in the air of course)even a detroit or lunchbox locker will let the tires spin unless you really wrench on 'em

and replacing those u-joints at home is a lot better than on the trail
                  ok, just checkin'.
                  myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Thanks guys.. I bought a couple of Rockford Heavy duty u-joints. Went to Part Source and got the best ons they had. Cost 35 bucks each. Now all I need to get is a few .22 bullets (that should be big enough.. or should I use the shotgun?) so I can blow these rusty ones out. :wink: I'll keep you posted on all the damage Im going to do. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Working...
                    X