Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll side with those that believe the TJ's OE mechanical fan is far more efficient at cooling the engine than an electric fan is. Instead of looking to replace the OE fan which keeps my TJ cool in the hottest desert conditions, I would instead look for a problem within the cooling system. And I would bet that your radiator is simply partially clogged with hard water deposits which greatly reduce its cooling efficiency.

If our TJ's OE radiators were rebuildable, I'd say to go visit a small independent radiator repair shop and have them rod it out (which removes the hard water deposits) and rebuild it. Since our TJ radiators are not rebuildable because they can't be resealed afterwards, I recommend a new two row radiator from someone like www.radiatorbarn.com/

And once replaced, only use distilled water to mix with the antifreeze. Tap water from the hose is usually loaded with dissolved minerals which is what clogs radiators.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I am starting to buy into the possibility that the type of fan is not the issue (although the results that Roadkill424 is getting sounds interesting).

As for Kevin's (brokenujoint) questions: The coolant is a balance of 50/50 but I haven't flushed it since I bought it back in Jan 06. I should start there.

I do have a winch that blocks the lower portion of the grill. I am running 4.56 gears on 31.5 tires. 75 miles per hour is at about 2900 rpms.

I forgot that Jeeps have plastic radiators, I had to replace the one I had in my 92 YJ. After I flush the system and try new coolant, the next step may be a new radiator.

For the other stuff: Engine is healthy. I regularly check it and tune it. Good exhaust (headers, big pipes, and performance muffler). I don't tow anything, but I do run the AC on the highway, that's where I first noticed the problem.

Jerry: I really appreciate the website info. This may be the direction I go. Also, thanks for the tip about the distilled water. I didn't realize that tap water could lead to build up.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

stay with the clutch fan. I'm running the 4.3 with 4.56's on just about 31's with a 4.0 YJ fan, and a chevy fan clutch, runs 180-200 on the trail
        The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

by the way, good to see your my neighbor!.

yeah, toss that crap radiator and get a 2 or 3 row. i love mine!
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I agree with the rest check the radiator and other cooling system components first. To answer your original questions: I’m running this electric Fan
            Several companies sell this exact fan under their own name at different prices. I chose this one, as it was the cheapest. I have seen the same fan under a different name for $200+
            I have a Vortec V6 and it keeps my engine between 180-210F. I have had two problems with the fans so far. Once the wire from the t-stat grounded out on the circuit board and I had to replace the wire. It’s tight in the electrical box. The second problem happened when we were on that run in BB at Dishpan when Brian almost went over on his back (twice). The main power spade on the circuit board came loose. I have since soldered the spade back on removed the t-stat and run the fan full time without any further issues.
            Check out .

Comment

Hows your fan clutch? Do you hear it lock up?

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                Hows your fan clutch? Do you hear it lock up?
                I haven't heard any new/unusual noises from the fan clutch. What should I listen for?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Dont over look the radiator cap. Pressure test your cooling system for any potential leaks and also test the cap, if any doubts replace.My 06 Unlimited runs a 18LB cap Also check your shroud to make sure it is secure, and also inspect the interior of the radiator. Maybe you have a build-up of junk that is clogging the tubes. If so remove and send out to be rodded, or empty coolant, and put in straight water and a box BAKING SODA, and run for a few days, flush and fill with 50/50 coolant and see what happens. Baking Soda will clean out the rust and contaminants.
                  06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                  07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                    I haven't heard any new/unusual noises from the fan clutch. What should I listen for?
                    When the engine gets 215+ the clutch should lock up and move alot of air. Should sound like a jet airplane.

Comment

Mr. Green is keepin' his Cool!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I think that I have the overheating thing licked for the moment.

I flushed the radiator today. The flush came out pretty clean. After refilling with a 60% coolant mix, I kicked on the AC to Max and headed up to the top of Haven Ave (long steady climb). Just as I got to the top, the "Check Gauges" light came on. I killed the AC and drove around slowly until it cooled down some. Mind you, it was slightly over 100 degrees when I did this, so I thought that maybe the hill was too extreme of a test. So I took it out on the highway and tried a slighter slope at higher speeds. It still overheated.

I had resigned myself to buying a new radiator when I saw Chris142's post on the fan clutch. I doubted that I could hear if the fan was working or not since I have MT tires, an Aussie front locker, headers and spintech muffler, and a soft top. Heck, I'm lucky to hear my own stereo at highway speeds! :wink:

So instead, I grab my handy Haynes repair manual and looked up how to check a fan clutch. The test indicated that it was probably bad. Lucky, Autozone was open and had a new clutch.

After a quick change out, I put the AC on Max and headed to the top of Haven Ave. This time the temp climbed to only about 215 when I got to the top. I killed the AC and revved the engine and could tell the difference in the roar of the fan. Thanks Chris142 for the advice on the fan clutch.

Thanks to everyone for help on this topic. I still think that a 3 core radiator is in my future. I'm not so sure about the electric fan though.

As a side topic, does anyone know where I can dispose of the old radiator fluid? I know that Kragen will not take it.

[/COLOR]

Comment

As a side topic, does anyone know where I can dispose of the old radiator fluid? I know that Kragen will not take it.
                        http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339276
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

After refilling with a 60% coolant mix,
                          I hope that was 60% water and not 60% coolant. Coolant does not cool as well as water does so the more coolant you add, the less it can keep the engine cool. The most I'll ever go is 50:50.
                          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

In Los Angeles, the Sanitation Department has set up collection points where they accept anti-freeze, used tires, etc. So I Google'd your city and I found this link to info about the City of Rancho Cucamonga Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility. (click the link for Integrated Waste/NDPES). They will accept used antifreeze.
                            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                              In Los Angeles, the Sanitation Department has set up collection points where they accept anti-freeze, used tires, etc. So I Google'd your city and I found this link to info about the City of Rancho Cucamonga Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility. (click the link for Integrated Waste/NDPES). They will accept used antifreeze.
                              Hey Cool! I didn't know that my town had a drop point like this. There are several other things that I can drop off as well as the coolant this Saturday. As usual Russ, thanks for the help!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                                I hope that was 60% water and not 60% coolant. Coolant does not cool as well as water does so the more coolant you add, the less it can keep the engine cool. The most I'll ever go is 50:50.
                                Oops! It was 60% coolant. But I was following the directions on the Prestone jug for refilling after a radiator flush: "Install minimum 50%, maximum 70% PRESTONE Antifreeze/Coolant and water."

Even so, after I tested the coolant, my tester still said that I wasn't quite to the +265 degree protection level (which is the 50%/50% level according to the label). The chart on the back says that 70% Prestone and 30% water is a boil over protection of +276 degrees. I think that my tester may be too old to register properly. It's probably 16 yrs old or more.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X