Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear questoin???

Hello there! I have a 97 TJ the 4.0 6 cyl.5 speed. I,ve got the front 30 and rear 44 with 3.55 ratio. I,m running 32x11.50 no probkem at all with power.I,m wanting to put on 33x12.50 and was wondering if i,d still be alright or have to go to 3.73 or 4.10? I also only have a 2.5 lift but measure,s out to 3 inchs.Also getting a one inch bdy lift for off the road..Thanks..Geeb..
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

i ran 33s with 3.07s and it wasent THAT bad but it did suck... you should be Ok with your 3.55s and a 5 speed. your just gonna have to downshift to 4th when you hit the steep hills. but i would recomend going to 4.10s when you can...
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

or 4.56 or 4.88 if your going to 35s ever.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Yeah 4.56s, manual tranny, and 35s would be good.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Thank,s for all the info. I think I,m gonna stay with the 33,s at least for a few years,my girlfriend has a bad back I don,t want to have to lift her in ..LOL..Thank,s Geeb.

Comment

I currently have 3.73 and 33s with 4.0 5spd. I can haul some butt on the freeway when there is no wind. LOL it drive ok around town no problem I just cant be in a huge rush to get off the line. I do have an exhaust syst and headers which help a little. But...I am re-gearing to 48s soon so i will be able to have 35s in the future
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

I recommend on a jeep that had 3:55 gears stock and you want 33 inch tires go a whole ratio change to 4:56 gears. On the dana 30 in the front............... the pinion gear gets way too small when you go with lower gears risking premature failure.

Brett
              offroadwerkz.com
              (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

have you seen many of these failures?
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                  the pinion gear gets way too small when you go with lower gears risking premature failure.

Brett
                  Yeah, I'm curious to know how many failures have been attributed to this.
                  Rat
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Geebo...just get 35's...come on man....do it!

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ View Post
                      have you seen many of these failures?
                      good question.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                        On the dana 30 in the front............... the pinion gear gets way too small when you go with lower gears risking premature failure.

Brett
                        That's bull so far as running even a 4.88 ratio goes. Yes the pinion gear is smaller with a 4.88 than with a 4.10 but the 4.88's pinion gear is still way strong and more than strong enough for 35" tires with his Dana 44 and Dana 30. I've been running 4.88 gears with my Dana 30 up front/Dana 44 in the rear with 35" tires, fully locked front and rear, and it's fine.

That rumor that blew around the Internet for a short while when 4.88 gearing first became available for the new TJ's standard rotation Dana 30 was blown away within the first year when no one was reporting failures... and that's been years ago.

So far as a good ratio goes... for your 5-speed and 33" tires, 4.56 is ideal. For 35" tires, 4.88 is ideal. I'm running 4.88 with my 35" tires and the RPMs are perfect on the highway. On the trail, I wish I could go with an even lower ratio.
                        Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 06-29-07, 06:39 AM.
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

and so it is written...
                          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Hey what do you guy,s mean by failures? is it the gears that i,m being told to upgrade too?I,m getting confused on what to upgrade to..Thanks Geeb

Comment

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
                              Hey what do you guy,s mean by failures? is it the gears that i,m being told to upgrade too?I,m getting confused on what to upgrade to..Thanks Geeb
                              It just means you will not have any gear failure issues with the gear ratios being recommended to you. In other words, no worries.
                              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X