Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressors

dont have lockers but want to air down (and back up). Want a hard mount system to save cargo space, looking at an ARB so I dont have to buy another compressor when i get the lockers. I was wondering if you need an ARB compressor to run an ARB locker. Also, what do you guys use: compressor (what size), or tank systems?

If you're going to install ARB air lockers, you can use any kind of an on-board air system to power them. All you need is an extra regulator to reduce the air pressure down to the 80-90 psi the ARB requires.

I use a belt-driven York a/c compressor converted for use as an air compressor, air tank, etc. I found the York F210 a/c compressor for $35 at a junkyard and I bought the bracket and pulley from Brad Kilby at www.onboardair.com and all the hoses and fitting locally. By the time I was all done, it cost me under $300 for a bad-a$$ on-board air system that runs air tools and airs all four of my tires up in 5 minutes. If you get serious on that kind of system, there are plenty of links for how to do it and I have most of them myself.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I have a few pictures and information about my ON BOARD AIR setup which is similar to the one Jerry is talking about. There's tons of links available to help you with a YORK (the best) setup!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

several of the guys on this board along with myself use the Masterflow air compressor. For the $40 i paid for it, it works pretty well with my 33s. I only dream about a York set up. Im trying to research on using a stock TJ a/c and convert to a OBA. Just dont have a whole lot of money to throw on this type of project. http://qindustries.net/products/mf_50.htm
        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

ok, so im looking at the viair setup that comes with a 2.5 gal tank. like the install of the tank opposite the muffler, are the instructions for the install clear or im i going to need to take it to a shop?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
            ok, so im looking at the viair setup that comes with a 2.5 gal tank. like the install of the tank opposite the muffler, are the instructions for the install clear or im i going to need to take it to a shop?
            can't remember what the instructions are like but look 'em over and ask about anything that doesn't make sense.

the viair is a good product. not as fast as an engine driven compressor but reliable.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

is there enough room to fit a 2.5 gal tank opposite the muffler? Any skid protection required?

Comment

Mount the 2.5 gallon air tank underneath, just behind the driver's seat and next to the driveshaft... in-between the frame rails. My TJ has done a lot of big difficult rocky trails and my air tank is the only thing that hasn't been touched by the rocks mounted in that position.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I have two tanks under the driver side behind the transfer case and in front of the axle and they are tucked enough that they have never been hit. The same compressor that miguelito uses is sold at Pep Boys under the name of a tsunami. I have used one for a few years and it puts my viair to shame.

Brett
                  offroadwerkz.com
                  (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

any of you guys have pix of these set ups?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
                      any of you guys have pix of these set ups?
                      Here ya go:

'96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

oh how nice to get the jeep on the side so we can see where you mounted your air tank. thanks . im suprised it didnt roll down the hill unless you had the straps on it before it flopped
                        97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

I have hit my air tank mounted opposite the muffler. couple pretty good dents. make sure you've got a safety relief valve.
                          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                            I have two tanks under the driver side behind the transfer case and in front of the axle and they are tucked enough that they have never been hit. The same compressor that miguelito uses is sold at Pep Boys under the name of a tsunami. I have used one for a few years and it puts my viair to shame.

Brett
                            I suppose it depends on which viair you've got. I've got a DV compressor as a spare in my car.
                            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Working...
                            X