Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33" Tires

I'm sure everyone gets tired of these questions. :yawn:

I’d like to put 33” tires on 15X8 rims on my 2000TJ. I was quoted approximately $4,500 to $5,000 for rims, tires, 4” lift kit and Slip Yoke Eliminator. I was quoted $1,100 for the SYE alone, when I asked why so much, I was told that it was good quality and that’s how much it cost, I brought up that I had seen SYE advertised for approximately $250 what was the difference? He then told me that it was the same SYE the other $850 was installation. Ouch.

I was hoping to spend around $2,000 and downsizing to 32” tires would be OK. A couple of questions regarding this:

Is a budget of $2,000 realistic?
    How difficult is it to install a lift kit yourself?
    If I went with a 3” lift do I have to install a Slip Yoke Eliminator?
    Can I run 33’s with a 3” lift?

Re: 33" Tires

Originally posted by jeepish
    I was hoping to spend around $2,000 and downsizing to 32” tires would be OK. A couple of questions regarding this:

A lift is easy to install. take off old, put on new

Tammy(Jeepgal) has a 2.5 inch suspension lift w/ no SYE and I think that the absolute max lift with no SYE. If you did a -case drop, that would help, but it kinda undoes what you just did. Furthermore, I dont think SYE's are all that difficult to install. A good manual (i.e. the factory service manual), and a good set of tools and you should be able to do it.

Tammy is running 33's on her Jeep with a 2.5 inch suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift. It works extreemly well!! She has a little rubbing, but its not bad.

I'd say, for all that stuff, a $2000 budget is do-able but pushing it. Shop around and price stuff out and you should be able top meet it. Good luck. Let us know what you do.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Re: 33" Tires

I'm sure everyone gets tired of these questions. :yawn:

I’d like to put 33” tires on 15X8 rims on my 2000TJ. I was quoted approximately $4,500 to $5,000 for rims, tires, 4” lift kit and Slip Yoke Eliminator. I was quoted $1,100 for the SYE alone, when I asked why so much, I was told that it was good quality and that’s how much it cost, I brought up that I had seen SYE advertised for approximately $250 what was the difference? He then told me that it was the same SYE the other $850 was installation. Ouch.

You must have gone to 4 wheel parts for your quote. That is way too high for what you want.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

where are you in cali? you may have some folks right here that could help with the install.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

hhrrmnnnn lets see here...

(5) Goodyear MT/r's = $1000 (w/roadhazard)
          2 1/2" Rancho susp lift = 600
          rs9000 shocks (4) = 250
          1" body lift = 100

Total $1950

Friends to help put it on...PRICELESS

I know you can probably find the lift for less...I wouldnt suggest the Rancho lift kit that I used. Try RE...definitely consider different upper control arms And you dont have to go with RS9000 shocks...I was just pricing out what I did. This is assuming you dont need to buy new Wheels...add $200 for wheels.

Best of luck to you...and yeah...my Jeep does extremely well for whats on it!

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

the sye is pretty easy to install.. just buy a good set of snap ring pliers you'll be fighting with a cheap set. the rest is pretty easy. you can get it done in a half a day.
            i got my advanced adaptors sye, and tom woods driveshaft from tom woods. they have a pretty good deal, and heavy duty stuff... ask brian, (blktj)

$525 for the kit.
            the instructions are easy to read... no problem to install.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Does Size Really Matter

Thanks for all of the responses to my questions.

Brian, I live in Newbury Park (Thousand Oaks). I’ve rebuilt an engine or two (15 years ago I used to race boats), so I’m reasonably mechanically inclined. I’ve considered buying the kits to do it myself, but not knowing how detailed the instructions are its hard to know how difficult this might be. I have a hanger at Camarillo airport where I would probably do the work. If there are people in the area who are experienced at installing lift kits and are willing to help, I’d really appreciate it.

Tammy thanks for the run down of equipment and what you paid for it. That’s sort of what I was expecting. Why wouldn’t you suggest the Rancho lift kit? Have you seen another 2 ½” lift that you think would be better? Chris said that you’re set up works extremely well, with just a little rubbing. Where does it rub, under what circumstances, and is it a problem? Do you have an SYE or did you lower your transfer case? Do you have any vibration on the freeway?

Does that extra inch make a big difference or is 32 inches enough? If size does really matter then I was considering the Rubicon Express RE7002 3.5" Standard Kit, I’ve heard good things about it and its easily upgradeable to the super flex. But then I’d definitely need the advanced adaptors SYE, and tom woods driveshaft.

You know, since I’m a guy I could go with 32’s and tell everyone their 33’s…

Comment

what brand of tires did you plan on running? i love the mt/r's for how they perform, but they run smaller than their claimed size. i think the bfg mud ta runs pretty true to its size, but i like the mtr's better. what i am getting at is a 32" bfg ic about the same size as a 33" mt/r.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                  what brand of tires did you plan on running? i love the mt/r's for how they perform, but they run smaller than their claimed size. i think the bfg mud ta runs pretty true to its size, but i like the mtr's better. what i am getting at is a 32" bfg ic about the same size as a 33" mt/r.
                  Thanks for the heads up...I was thinking about the 32" BFG after these wear out.

(yes, I will be lifting before then )

Comment

Does this mean I can run 33" Mt/r with a 2 1/2" lift kit the way that I could with 32's?

Comment

Re: Does Size Really Matter

Thanks for all of the responses to my questions.

Brian, I live in Newbury Park (Thousand Oaks). I’ve rebuilt an engine or two (15 years ago I used to race boats), so I’m reasonably mechanically inclined. I’ve considered buying the kits to do it myself, but not knowing how detailed the instructions are its hard to know how difficult this might be. I have a hanger at Camarillo airport where I would probably do the work. If there are people in the area who are experienced at installing lift kits and are willing to help, I’d really appreciate it.

Hey,I live in camarillo!So does my dad(brian4.2).Let one off us know if you need some help.

Comment

Re: Does Size Really Matter

Tammy thanks for the run down of equipment and what you paid for it. That’s sort of what I was expecting. Why wouldn’t you suggest the Rancho lift kit?
                        Not so much the springs and shocks, but the lower control arms have given me nothing but greif. Ive been through two sets of bushings so far, and have the third going in very soon. If you go Rancho, definitely consider another makers control arms (Currie or RE) with the johnny joints in them. Ive heard good things about Ranchos new Rockcrawler control arms, a kind of combination johnny joint/polyurethane bushing, but dont have any personal experience with them. But as far as Im concerned, Im done with polyurethane bushings altogether.read this post

Have you seen another 2 ½” lift that you think would be better?
                        Rubicon Express seems to be doing something right...
                        see results here

Chris said that you’re set up works extremely well, with just a little rubbing. Where does it rub, under what circumstances, and is it a problem?

Im VERY happy with my measly 2 1/2" and 1" body lift. I seriously considered swapping out the 2 1/2 for a 4" lift, had the SYE already and decided it wasnt worth it. What a can of worms it posed. Just to gain 1 1/2". I keep up with the guys for the most part already, and didnt see any reason to dump the money into it. The little rubbing Im getting is on my fender flares at full flex while turning. I was getting considerable rubbing on my sway bar and frame before I got wheel spacers. If you have the grizzlies or canyon wheels, the back spacing is not enough. Youll either need to buy new wheels or spacers to accomodate the 33" MT/r's.

Do you have an SYE or did you lower your transfer case? Do you have any vibration on the freeway?

NO vibrations at all. Initially we put on the TCase drop, due to a problem we had aligning the shifter, but after some adjustment, I removed the tcase drop, since I had no vibrations at all. Im very happy about that, as I was quite disappointed when I gained 2 1/2" only to lose 1 1/2" in a clearance under the transfercase.

Does that extra inch make a big difference or is 32 inches enough?

OF COURSE size matters Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Like Erik said, the 33" MT/r's run closer to 32". That said however, I still highly recommend that you put on a 1" body lift (with either the radiator drop or mml...) Youll need the extra room that it affords you. Last thing you want is to put on bigger tires, eat up all your wheel well space, and have NO room left for articulation and trail flex.

Hope that helps a bit...let us know if you need anything else.

Tam
                        Last edited by JeepGal; 11-20-03, 12:41 PM.
                        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Don't forget the regear costs

What gearing do you plan on putting in the axles for 33's?
                          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Working...
                          X