Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going going........LONG!

...that's so morally and politically incorrect, but who cares. ANYWHO, I abandoned the search for a new wrangler...I was like HOLY CRAP they are expensive. Then I was looking at the Cherokees and GC's of the same years and was like HOLY CRAP they aren't NEAR as expensive. ANYWHO, I think I may be getting a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee in the near future. It's finding one that's a 6cyl, 5sp that's a real PITA!! All the little rich folks around here don't know how to drive manuals, so they all buy automatics, and LORD KNOWS I don't wanna do a tranny swap. *Shivers from the thoughts of the last tranny swap*

BTW, anybody got an output shaft for a cherokee ax5 tranny. That's what I got in my YJ, and I think they are a little long than the ones in the wrangler, and I kept my wrangler shaft when I swapped the tranny, and it doesn't appear to be long enough...so I'm leaking gear oil all over my driveway!
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

If a manual tranny is on top of your list of necessities you will be looking at XJs. Very few ZJs were ever produced with manual transmissions.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

1993, I believe was the only year ZJs were produced with AX-15. If your REALLY are going to go to LWB. Your best bet is to get an XJ. ZJs are more expensive in every way. More luxurious but expensive.

What happened to the whole TJ swap jazz? or the V8 in the YJ?
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

91-95 XJ 4.0 IMHO are the best ones. Get an auto, easy to wheel. Lift's are less for them too. It'll cost you just as much, probably more to lift a ZJ. The limiteds had leather interior and an 242, or a lower model would have a 231. There was a super clean 91 sitting at the intersection of Riverford road and Channel, no leaks, 90k on the odo.

There should be a breakdown of what's on what. You'll want a non-disco front axle, 231 xfer case (I'll get flamed for this one, but it's got more support), if you can find it a D44 rear axle or do an 8.8 or 8.25. The early ones with ABS sucked, replace that, best year is probably a 95 non abs. 96 went ODBII. As for lift kits, go long arm, or go with drop brackets (I'll get flamed for that one too), anyway, DB's regain your droop that you loose during the lift, and give you front flex only rivaled by a long arm kit. Rubicon Express stuff is really nice, avoid Rusty's, seen too much breakage out there, mainly with his trackbar stuff. Hope this helps, if you have questions, there's Naxja, or better yet the socalxj guys. Socalxj has a WEALTH of knowledge and if you're local to SD, you should go to the next meet and greet. We're also going wheeling at Corral Canyon this Saturday if you want to check out some rigs.

Mark
        Last edited by markw; 05-15-07, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I live out east! anywho, with the YJ, the TJ motor swap turned out to just be a part out. We are just gonna part out the tj, and buy an XJ. I dunno, I really like the Cherokees! They wheel just as well as their shorter counterparts, have more space, hillclimb better, and just plain look sweet it you lift them right ^.^
          WTF Mate?

______
          [_____]
          (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
          []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by YJwonderboy View Post
            I live out east! anywho, with the YJ, the TJ motor swap turned out to just be a part out. We are just gonna part out the tj, and buy an XJ. I dunno, I really like the Cherokees! They wheel way better as their shorter counterparts, have more space, hillclimb better, and just plain look sweeter then barbie wranglers it you lift them right ^.^
            Fixed it for you...

and yes the 231 TC is the way to go, if you dont find one with a D44 dont sweat it, just swap in an 8.8 when you get a chance (its pretty easy). The Long Arm vs. Short Arm debate will never end and youll have to search and figure that one out on your own. and if your serious about an XJ go to NAXJA and SEARCH if you post up useless topics or topics that have already been discussed you'll get flamed so becareful... anything else your welcome to ask.
            -Allen
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

cherokees do wheel good but my ideal rig and my next build is gonna be a stretched yj on coilovers, only reason i used a station wagon is cuz im a family man, but the kids are gettin older, so they dont need a top anymore, but ill still never get rid of the xj its going to my kid..

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
              Fixed it for you...

and yes the 231 TC is the way to go, if you dont find one with a D44 dont sweat it, just swap in an 8.8 when you get a chance (its pretty easy). The Long Arm vs. Short Arm debate will never end and youll have to search and figure that one out on your own. and if your serious about an XJ go to NAXJA and SEARCH if you post up useless topics or topics that have already been discussed you'll get flamed so becareful... anything else your welcome to ask.
              -Allen

Comment

Originally posted by xjkevin
                cherokees do wheel good but my ideal rig and my next build is gonna be a stretched yj on coilovers, only reason i used a station wagon is cuz im a family man, but the kids are gettin older, so they dont need a top anymore, but ill still never get rid of the xj its going to my kid..
                OOOHHHH!!! all comp cut in the rear?! I wanna ride! Yeah my ideal is either a Commando or a Scrambler... but ill NEVER get rid of the XJ.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

ooohh scramblers i love, i dont know if i could trash a scrambler in the rocks, id want to build it and sit and look at it, lol, the one jimmyrig had was ideal, perfect if you ask me!!!

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                  OOOHHHH!!! all comp cut in the rear?! I wanna ride! Yeah my ideal is either a Commando or a Scrambler... but ill NEVER get rid of the XJ.

Comment

There's a guy up the street from me with a Scrambler that he putting D60's in the rear, D44's up front, an AMC 360 under the hood, full cage, and a wife in the passenger seat.

He's got all the parts and stuff for the build (including the wife), but is working on his master's, and still has grad papers to write, so when he gets his schoolin' out of the way, he's startin' the build!

as us rednecks say.....YEEHAW!!
                    WTF Mate?

______
                    [_____]
                    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                    []--o---[]

Comment

Well...I bought one!
                      I got a '94 XJ 4.0L 5spd, with 94k miles one it for like $3500, I'll have pics of it soon. It's a forest green color, and needs some aftermarket parts , so you guys help me out, and point me in the right direction!!
                      WTF Mate?

______
                      [_____]
                      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                      []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by YJwonderboy View Post
                        you guys help me out, and point me in the right direction!!
                        www.naxja.org/forum

Congrats on the XJ. You will not be disappointed.
                        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Suspension: RE, Full Traction, Clayton's, or T&T Customs
                          Armor: DPG Offroad, JCR offroad, AJ's Offroad, SOLID (Rockcrusher) Diff Covers, T&T Customs
                          Cooling: CSF or GDI Radiators

Cool Sites: | Ford 8.8 Questions | Suspension Tuning | Go Jeep's Site | Cutting the Lower 1/4 Panels | Brown Dog Motor Mounts | C-Rok Steering Box Brace | D and C Extreme Roll Cages |

I think thats about all i can think of right now... any other questions just let me know. Congrats and have fun with it.
                          -Allen

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Wow, thanks Allen! I found a bumper on the DPGoffroad site that I really have taken a liking to
                            Last edited by YJwonderboy; 05-20-07, 08:14 PM.
                            WTF Mate?

______
                            [_____]
                            (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
                            []--o---[]

Comment

Yeah no prob. Now get your pics up!

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X