Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skid Plates

We bashed up our gas tank skid pretty good at PVD and our crossmember/ skidplate has been dinged for a while. Any good replacement ideas for these key parts? I know Tomken and Kilby market gastank skids, but what about the belly pan?
    It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
    and Kargomaster rack.

Nth Degree

I think I am going to go with Nth Degree Mobility's Tummy Tucker. I saw there products at the Pomona Show. Pretty slick stuff. No body lift is "required" for the 1.25" drop, but it does require a little BFH massage of the underbody to get everything up there.

Supposedly they have an oilpan skid available that integrates with the crossmember. They also have a very interesting driveshaft skid that looks nicer than a piece of angle iron welded to the differential.

I even picked up a 10% discount from the Pomona Show. The only thing holding me back is that I am debating whether I will go taller than 33's because if I do, I'd like to go long arm and that might mean a special crossmember. Decisions, decisions.

FWIW, I don't think the completely flat crossmembers gain all that much given the mickey mousing you have to do to the drivetrain angles.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

most belly-up skids require a body lift, motor mount lift and exhaust modifications (nth degree being the only exception, by use of BFH). You will definately need an sye, cv driveshaft and adjustable arms for pinyon angle adjustment.

the kilby/4xdoc gas tank skid has served me fine, although some have had problems due to the flat bottom. I guess there should be a cutout for the fuel pump or something. Every once and awhile my fuel gauge reads full when I know it's not.

my $.02
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Thanks guys! I fgured I'd have to go with a Kilby or Tomken Gas skid, but I didn't know about n'th degree. This looks like a plan, especially since I was looking at a 1" body lift anyway I'll get a pic posted of the damage as soon as I can.

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
        and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by king4wd
          Thanks guys! I fgured I'd have to go with a Kilby or Tomken Gas skid, but I didn't know about n'th degree. This looks like a plan, especially since I was looking at a 1" body lift anyway I'll get a pic posted of the damage as soon as I can.
          Let me know how it goes. I am looking into some underside armor too. I am still learning and that equals some dings and bangs. Someone called them "Beginner Bumps" last weekend.

Comment

Trail damage

Here's some pics of the trail damage from PVD.
            http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288603879
            Check out the gas tank

and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Re: Trail damage

Here's some pics of the trail damage from PVD.
              http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288603879
              Check out the gas tank
              owowowow

You musta been havin' fun.

I have to get under mine and do a real assessment. I know I have a pea sized dent in my oil pan that could have been a puncture if I had hit it just a little harder.

I do not plan to raise my TJ up all that high and will have to really do my homework to get the right parts for my Jeep.

Comment

You cant go wrong with a 4x doctor/kilby skid. I have a 4xDoc on mine and I like it.
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i have the kilby and like it.. or you could go with something similar to tams gas tank skid.. which i believe is a cfej fab design... some pretty cool stuff

edited by
                  Last edited by JeepGal; 11-22-03, 11:02 AM.
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Yeah the Kilby looks like the way to go. I thought Tomken offered the same skid, but Kilby's is 50% thicker (3/16" vs. 1/8"). Truck master also offers a pretty beefy aluminum skid 5/16" thick for about the same price as the Kilby. I'll have to do some comparison research there. I debated pulling the current skid off and hammering it straight, but it doesn't just unbolt. After consulting the Haynes manual- the whole tank must be disconnected and removed to remove the skid- I found I didn't want to deal with possible emissions foul-ups so I'll leave the factory skid as is for now.
                    Last edited by JeepGal; 11-22-03, 11:20 AM.

and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Yeah the Kilby looks like the way to go. I thought Tomken offered the same skid, but Kilby's is 50% thicker (3/16" vs. 1/8"). Truck master also offers a pretty beefy aluminum skid 5/16" thick for about the same price as the Kilby. I'll have to do some comparison research there.
                      Kilby and FourXDoctor both give you an extra inch clearance too...what Id do for an extra inch .....sigh....(for my Jeep!)

I debated pulling the current skid off and hammering it straight, but it doesn't just unbolt. After consulting the Haynes manual- the whole tank must be disconnected and removed to remove the skid- I found I didn't want to deal with possible emissions foul-ups so I'll leave the factory skid as is for now.
                      I totally understand that...but that being said....

We took off my gas tank skid and pounded out the dents, reinforced it with extra steel, and put it back on. When we put it back on, we were really tired, and broke the little "t" shaped connector that ran to the emissions system, and mickeymoused something together for it. When I returned home, I went to the dealer and bought the part, dropped the gas tank and skid by myself, replaced the connector , and put it back up.

It really was a PIA, but with the right tools...(TWO floor jacks AND alot of patience) its not impossible. If you decide to do it, just take your time, and do it methodically. Dont forget to unscrew the filler housing and shove the filler entrance into the hole while you work...its too difficult to do after you try to drop the tank.

I think the guys were shocked when I told them I dropped the tank myself...

Tam
                      Last edited by JeepGal; 11-22-03, 12:02 PM.
                      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                        It really was a PIA, but with the right tools...(TWO floor jacks AND alot of patience) its not impossible. If you decide to do it, just take your time, and do it methodically. Dont forget to unscrew the filler housing and shove the filler entrance into the hole while you work...its too difficult to do after you try to drop the tank.

I think the guys were shocked when I told them I dropped the tank myself...

Tam
                        The thing is taking time to do this puts me (Sandra) out of a vehicle. The neon is Tom's to drive back and forth to work, but the Jeep is mine to take Megan to Girl Scouts and whatever. Waiting to get a ride to go places or to do errands around here is like waiting for Christmas to come and then go and come back again. Tom would have to get up real early on his day off to do it. If I didn't have a two year old to keep an eye on I would do the job myself Afterall, I don't mind getting my hands all greasy and oily and nasty!! If I can change a power supply in a computer I can do this. Right now, I think Tom is waiting to get the right tools to do this. Thanks for the advice Tams!
                        1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                        Glad to be back in California!

Comment

You might want to check out Rev 1 I plan on lifting my whole drivetrain up 3"

Basically i'm looking at:

Flat Skid: $395
                          3" Moter Mount Lift: $55
                          Side Six Body Mounts: $195

Total of $645 for a belly-up done the right way.
                          [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                          AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                          15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                          33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                          FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                          Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                          RE Hand Throttle
                          Optima Red Top
                          K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Belly Up

While that is a really good way to go, Pondscum. I won't be able to swing the extra $700-800 for the required drivetrain mods (SYE and CVshaft) to allow for that. So for now I'll stick with a Kilby for the gastank and a BFH for the crossmember

and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Working...
                            X