Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Axle Seal

While Installing My New Rear Bumper I Noticed Crud Buildup On The Inside Of My Drivers Side Rear Wheel. Looks Like A Bad Wheel Seal. Does Anyone Know Approximately How Much This Repair Will Cost Or How Hard It Would Be For Me To Try Repairing It Myself.

Originally posted by ECHO View Post
    While Installing My New Rear Bumper I Noticed Crud Buildup On The Inside Of My Drivers Side Rear Wheel. Looks Like A Bad Wheel Seal. Does Anyone Know Approximately How Much This Repair Will Cost Or How Hard It Would Be For Me To Try Repairing It Myself.
    I don't know what axle you have in the rear, but here is how it works for a d-44.
    1. jack it up and take off the wheel.
    2. take off the drum and the 4 axle flange bolts holding the shaft in.
    3. put something under the flange to catch a little gear lube.
    4. yank out the shaft.
    5. drill a 3/8" hole in the bearing press collar
    6. split the collar with a chisel and slide it off
    7. press the bearing off with a bearing clamshell and a press
    8. remove and replace the seal
    9. press a new bearing on and a new press collar
    10. bolt it up.

for a dana 35, it's similar except you have to pop the diff cover and remove the C-clip to pull the shaft.
    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Is There Anyything Else That Should Be Replaced While I Have It Opened Up? Any Preventative Maintenance Parts?

Comment

Is There Anything Else That Should Be Replaced While I Have It Opened Up? Any Preventative Maintenance Parts?
        the bearing kit (set10)(D44) should have everything that is pressed on to the axle shaft. seal, bearing and press collar. The only other piece is the retaining plate, which if bent or cracked should be replaced.

you may need a slide hammer or other device to remove the old bearing race, then again, you may not.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Is There Anyone Out There That Has The Time To Teach Me How To Do The Repair. I Dont Know How Often The Seals Go Out But Im Sure I Will Have To Replace Them Again Sooner Or Later And It Would Be Nice To Know How To Do It. I Can Go To A Shop But I Would Rather Pay Someone Who Will Put The Money In To Their Jeep. Thanks

Comment

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat, got one seeping on the pasenger side but I also had too much fluid. I need to do brakes soon too, (probably a good time to do the seal then).

B&T TJ

Comment

Is There Anyone Out There That Has The Time To Teach Me How To Do The Repair. I Dont Know How Often The Seals Go Out But Im Sure I Will Have To Replace Them Again Sooner Or Later And It Would Be Nice To Know How To Do It. I Can Go To A Shop But I Would Rather Pay Someone Who Will Put The Money In To Their Jeep. Thanks
              I can help you. Pm me your #

Rat
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

book mark this site and when ever you have a problem check it out. Stu is an awesome guy with tons of write ups. Check this link out and see if it helps. good luck!

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d44/d44-1.htm
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X