Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project XJ

Little by little I've been picking up parts for the XJ project. I picked up this stock '88 XJ for $500.

Ain't it sad?

Near the top of the list was ditching the "closed system" radiator with that of a later model. I found someone parting out a built XJ and ended up buying a whole lotta parts off him.

Anyway over the weekend I went to work on the Rad' swap. It was horrifying to pull the lower Rad' hose and have nothing come out. Not even a drip!!! (I'm glad I towed it home & I've only run the engine a few minutes at a time!) The ATF fluid did drip once or twice, but it was mostly empty too.

So I get everything bolted in and put back together and start re-filling the Rad with coolant... what's that noise? Sounds like someone taking a leak on my floor?!? CRAP!!!

Coolant is leaking from under the engine, really bad thoughts race through my mind. Cracked block, blown head gasket... Fortunately I find that it's leaking from a freeze plug. <PHEW> I can deal with that.

What now... Well Tha Mrs did give me the green light to make mod's to allow better flex and clearance... GRINDERS FULL SPEED AHEAD!

I removed the fender flair, cut a few inches away, then redrilled & installed the flair a few inches higher than stock. I also cut the front of the sheet metal, level with the bottom of the front clip for better approach angles.

I still need to clean it up some, but it's not lookin half bad.

I picked up this front pedistrian crusher, cheap and it's WAY better than the stock bumper. Shown below it's just placed on there for a picture.

Looking at the stock "Before" picture I've gained nearly a foot on the approach angle!!

I've also started gathering suspension components. It's going 6" but I want to get the engine and bodywork semi-sorted before getting into suspension.

Stay tuned for more Project XJ when we hear our hero scream "FIRE!"

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

What a find.
    Dan

Comment

xj

Crash whats up, that front bumper looks beefy i like it, that def was a sweet deal, can't wait to see the finished project, and wheel with you, any ?'s let me know. want to get rid of that fish tank.///Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by xjkevin View Post
        Crash whats up, that front bumper looks beefy i like it, that def was a sweet deal, can't wait to see the finished project, and wheel with you, any ?'s let me know. want to get rid of that fish tank.///Kevin
        Yeah, nice ped crusher. What a project truck. But screw the fish tank, how many old scooters are there in your garage? Looks like heaven to me...
        Rat
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Think armor:
          Good deal on the board now.
          http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...1134#post71134

What rearend?
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

YEAH John! You go! Man your XJs lookin better then mine now a days. If you need any help or anything let me know. oh, the sliders i put up are pretty much sold already theres like 4 people in line for them sorry. Lookin good bud. :thumbs:
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Sweet Crash! Drive 'er by sometime, or invite me over
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

your front passenger tire is bleeding, other than that... kick ass. :yay:
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Tanx ever'body...

It'll be a fun project. We're kind'a debating between building a rock crawler or Jeep Speed racer. A crawler would be cheaper in the long run, but I've always wanted to do the Baja...

Motorcycles... Currently 14 but not all of them are "old"

Rearend?... Why you lookin at my... OH the Jeeps. D35 with 3.55's & Posi

Armor... Definately! but depending on which way we decide to go will determine what get's armored. It'll probably get a cage either inside or out.

The leaking tire... That's condensation, don't you rotate the air in your tires?

It's got some engine issues to iron out but nothing major (yet) So once I get it running good I'll get it out and about.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

DOOD! If you build a JeepSpeed Racer im comin and hangin at your house 24/7. Mind if i ride along?! I wanna race JS sooooooooooo bad.
                    Chek this out
                    http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...speed+progress
                    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Yeah, I've followed that thread on Naxja and it makes me tingle in places I shouldn't talk about here...

But the amount of work it takes to strengthen the entire vehicle to keep it from disintegrating is tremendous.

And I can't weld worth a damn...

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

haha yeah the amount of re-enforcement is ridiculous. You got to though:

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH! View Post
                          Yeah, I've followed that thread on Naxja and it makes me tingle in places I shouldn't talk about here...

But the amount of work it takes to strengthen the entire vehicle to keep it from disintegrating is tremendous.

And I can't weld worth a damn...

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~
                          Tingles in places you can't talk about huh? Sounds normal to me! I offer my welding services to reinforce the "AIR XJ" but I get to ride in 'er...

PS I weld better with BEER!

Rat
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

this one is strong and when it landed it broke big time.

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                            haha yeah the amount of re-enforcement is ridiculous. You got to though:

Comment

For $500 ya think youd at least get a non bent tie rod! :haha:

Welcome to the unibody world!
                              From A Champ To A Chump In Just One Bump!

Comment

Working...
                              X