Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about the fourwheel drive system on my 85 cherokee

Im a little confused about the fourwheel drive system on my 85 cherokee. I have the front up on blocks and i have the rear drive line disconnected. When i rotate the front drive line shouldnt the front tires spin? Or when i spin the tires shouldnt the drive line spin?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

JeepJunkie, did you put the transfercase in 4wd??

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
      JeepJunkie, did you put the transfercase in 4wd??
      Yep, 4hi and 4lo and i get the same results.
      B R E T T

Comment

ideas?:confused:
        B R E T T

Comment

Does your front axle have a vacuum disconnect? If you don't start the motor, and put it in four wheel drive first, then I don't think the front hubs will connect...

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
            Does your front axle have a vacuum disconnect? If you don't start the motor, and put it in four wheel drive first, then I don't think the front hubs will connect...

Ohhh yes this very well could be, it was off when i was testing it. there is some hoses and junk that go to the front axle, but then again it has a ton of tubing that goes every which way.
            B R E T T

Comment

there is a hose that goes from the front dif up a little ways then looks to be capped off is that just some sort of vent?? also to the right of the dif on the axle there is a couple of hoses to the T-case which must be the vacuum disconnect
              B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                there is a hose that goes from the front dif up a little ways then looks to be capped off is that just some sort of vent?? also to the right of the dif on the axle there is a couple of hoses to the T-case which must be the vacuum disconnect
                There should in fact be a vent hose coming off of the front differential. The hoses you described going to the transfer case are also in fact your vacuum disconnect. I would advise replacing the vacuum disconnect with a manual cable system. They cost around $150, and are far more reliable than the vacuum set-up (plus, there are no hoses to rot, leak, or break). They are also relatively easy to install (and you gain the added feature of being able to use low-range 2wd)...

Comment

Originally posted by PRegner
                  There should in fact be a vent hose coming off of the front differential. The hoses you described going to the transfer case are also in fact your vacuum disconnect. I would advise replacing the vacuum disconnect with a manual cable system. They cost around $150, and are far more reliable than the vacuum set-up (plus, there are no hoses to rot, leak, or break). They are also relatively easy to install (and you gain the added feature of being able to use low-range 2wd)...

That sounds like a better deal than the vacuum screwin up. So how would i go about doing that? and where can i buy the kit?
                  B R E T T

Comment

It's called a Posi-Lok Front Axle Vacuum Actuator Eliminator, and 4 Wheel Drive Hardware carries them, (item number 5900), but their pricing is a little high ($199.99). I'm sure you can find a better price on it by calling around to some of your local four wheel drive specialty shops...

Comment

here is a 20 dollar alternitive to the 200 dollar vacuum replacement cables.

http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/jeep/

Comment

Originally posted by eliguy
                        here is a 20 dollar alternitive to the 200 dollar vacuum replacement cables.

http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/jeep/
                        Thanks that looks like a money saver! IM glad you piped up and told me about that!
                        B R E T T

Comment

Working...
                        X