Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockers vs. Open Diffs - Observations from the Rubicon

I have been wheeling for about 2 years. I have now twice wheeled the Rubicon trail courtesy of Jeep Jamboree with no problems. What a blast! First, a little bit about my rig. I have a TJ with open diffs, a 3.5" lift and 32 BFG all terrain tires. Other than the lift and the tires, I'm stock. This year, I had two situations on the Rubicon where a friend gave me a tug backwards using a strap to get me out of off camber situations where my open diffs locked up. A little tug and I was off and running again.

I believe that most Jeepers should start driving with open diffs. I had the luxury of knowing a couple guys who took me out and showed me how to drive. I learned how to use momentum, steering, and yes, sometimes stacking rocks to get myself out of problem spots. Learning to drive with open diffs I believe was a blessing. I have often been able to roll through sticky stituations with no problems that hang up guys with lifts, lockers, and the whole 9 yards.

Do I intend to get lockers? ABSOLUTELY! Lockers are every bit of the safety issue they are made out to be. That's not just b.s. to tell the wife to justify the $$$ of tricking out the rig. As soon as I can upgrade to the right axle/locker/geer combination that I need (and can afford), I will. ARB's are in my future.

A problem I saw on the Rubicon the other day highlights a problem I've noticed with lockers, however. Guys will either install lockers and over sized tires on under strenghted axles or will drive correct axle/locker/geering combos without knowing when to engage them. After our first day of wheeling, a father and son limped into our camp after coming down Cadillac hill. They were driving a 2006 Rubicon with 35" tires, electric lockers, D44 axles and every goodie you can imagine. They had blown away their D44 when dad tried to clear an obstacle with his lockers engaged and his wheel cranked into a sharp turn. Snap! They were very foolish because they were rolling the Rubicon without any other Jeeps. They were very fortunate that there was a Jeep Jamboree going on. A Jamboree mechanic came down and fixed their rig (for free!!!). To give the mechanic a little assistance, the father tried to employ his high-lift jack to raise the vehicle. He did not know how to use it. He also admitted that from the moment he entered the trail, he had his lockers engaged and he never turned them off. He had no idea that he should basically only have them on when he is wheels are pointed straight. Turn them on when you need them, then turn them off again.

The above situation showed me that before you splurge on the very best equipment, you should know how to use it. By not knowing how to drive, his lockers actually became a liability and could have left him and his son stranded in harsh terrain with no cellphone service.

I have had friends and a mechanic or two recommend to me that I put a Detroit locker on my front D30 to get me by until I can afford "the right" package. Now that I know a little more about differentials and what can happen on the trail, I am glad that I have waited. The stress of a Detroit on a D30 could snap my inadequate axle because the stress of the trail should be dispersed primarily to the rear of the vehicle. If I'm wrong, tell me so.

In summary, get lockers but know how to use them, know how to drive, and don't settle for a quick fix that can overstress your rig and leave you stranded.

Rubicon is awesome. I didn't go to Jamboree but I live close enough that I can enjoy it during the summer when my family and I want to. If you're running west to east you go up Cadillac hill. Its the long incline after Rubicon Springs.

I have to disagree with your locker statement. I personally think that lockers need to be engaged on the trail and not used when you become stuck or drive straight. The problem with the Rubicons (the Jeep) are that people don't know much about wheelin' and go out and buy something that's over their head. Their axle as far as I'm concerned is a D30 since that is what the outer shafts are, D30 shafts. Since he had 35's on a D30 locked up...he was set up for failure eventually. A full D44 probably wouldn't have had that problem or maybe just running 33's.

Yeah he could have been soft on it by switching his fronts on and off but the truth still remains that he had a weak link that needed to be addressed.

I guess bottom line is hope he learned his lesson but I couldn't agree with you more when you stated people need to get some experience before moving up to the big boys.

By the way tell your buddy not to sell his jeep!

Comment

I think we have all seen examples of folks with more money than brains driving their new toys with little or no experience and ending up in some very sad situations.

Do you think the father and son you met up with would have had less problems on the Rubicon in a TJ with open diffs, a 3.5" lift and 32 BFG all terrain tires?

Maybe people with only a few years experience should be gaining their off road driving knowledge on easier trails.

Maybe the Rubicon should be left alone until driver and the rig are both capable enough to handle the 22 miles of black diamond off roading without putting a burden on all the other drivers trying to enjoy their own trek along the trail.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I seem to take a lot of guys out on their first runs
        and I insist they do it stock
        you learn so much running a vehicle with no mods, and then you can learn what the mods do
        However, what you learn with no mods translates into skills
        it takes no skill to BUY a BUILT 4x4 and go out and make a trail look easy---until--- you get over your head and HURT someone. This is a dangerous sport, your baseline is a stock vehicle, know your baseline and build your skills with it, then when you mod, you can LEARN what is easier and build better skills.
        SHEESH the first offroad vehicle I ever had was a 2 wheel drive datsun 510 staionwagon. what I learned about picking lines from that vehicle translates into being able to go anywhere I choose today.
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

i wheel stock and open, and glad i do. i have now reached the point where my driving skill has surpassed what the vehicle can do, so it will be time to upgrade and then wheel again until the same respective level is reached.

not only does this save people or vehicle parts from getting damaged, it also helps you (hopefully) save a few $$ in the savings acct..!
          03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Thanks guys.... good advise I will listen to.
            "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
            (Charles Wells)

Comment

I am heading up to run the Rubicon Trail this weekend....I can not wait.

Comment

Sometimes I actually miss open diffs. It made things alot more fun. Now that I'm locked front and rear I know that i'll get through stuff one way or another.!
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Locked At All Times

I received the advice about only using your lockers when you need them and your wheels are straight direct from the mouth of the Jeep Jamboree mechanic. This guy lives Jeeps. His rig was right out of the Road Warrior. I have to defer to his experience of spending a lifetime of fixing broken axles, u-joints, driveshafts and such. Given the fact that I've been wheelin' only 2 years, my own observations are worth about 10 cents. His on the other hand are worth their weight in gold if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by willys2004
                    I received the advice about only using your lockers when you need them and your wheels are straight direct from the mouth of the Jeep Jamboree mechanic.
                    I happen to disagree. On many trails here in soCal, you wouldn't get very far using that technique.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

"Only when your wheels are straight"

Bwahahahahahahaaa

Let me guess - this "Jeep Jamboree Mechanic" works the fry station at McD's weekdays, right?
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY
                      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Feel free to disagree if you want to. I can't understand why someone would discount a Jeep Jamboree mechanic who makes his living fixing busted rigs. The guy is a hard core wheeler himself. I saw the wisdom of his advice with my own eyes as I looked at a shattered D44. You guys can do what you want, drive around with your lockers engaged at all time, even when you are cranking your wheels left to right.....hey, many of us are nice guys and will not leave you stranded if we wander by and find you broken down on the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by willys2004
                          Feel free to disagree if you want to. I can't understand why someone would discount a Jeep Jamboree mechanic who makes his living fixing busted rigs. The guy is a hard core wheeler himself. I saw the wisdom of his advice with my own eyes as I looked at a shattered D44. You guys can do what you want, drive around with your lockers engaged at all time, even when you are cranking your wheels left to right.....hey, many of us are nice guys and will not leave you stranded if we wander by and find you broken down on the trail.
                          I must restrain myself...
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Trying .......very......hard.......
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY
                            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Got a hankering to go to church......I'll put in a good word for you evil locker runners....
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X