X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to invest in some "protection"

finally gettin the skids i was going to get when i graduated *sigh*

Gas Tank:
    kilby or Toys by Troy.. @ 4x4 group buy the TBT ones are $50 cheaper, that's really the only appeal to the aluminum... anybody see the tbt in action?

steering box... skid row...? seems to be a common design and once again, the price is right $45.90

big daddy HD tie rod.
    stock tie rod replacement with stock tie rod ends. Not sure if those would become a problem later on, your input would be appreciated. if so, currie hd tie rod & ends will be ordered.

nth degree oil pan skid.......

if anybody has any suggestions other then 4x4groupbuy on where to get some screamin deals on any of that stuff, let me know. ciao
    Bryan
    2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
    front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
    Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

I'd go Currie all the way with the steering. If you get a HD tie rod you'll bend up your drag link, right dukes. :yay:

all your other reasoning seems sound.

buy what you can from Rob at QT.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

would tie rod & ends be sufficient or do i really need the drag link upgrade as well as the upgraded links
      Bryan
      2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

I just installed the Skid Row engine skid. It protects the oil pan and the transmission. Solid set up. I think the nth degree oil pan skid protects only the oil pan. my 2 cents
        [IMG][/IMG]
        1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Originally posted by sam 15
          I just installed the Skid Row engine skid. It protects the oil pan and the transmission. Solid set up. I think the nth degree oil pan skid protects only the oil pan. my 2 cents
          [IMG][/IMG]
          get the Nth degree. :2:
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kaffa
            would tie rod & ends be sufficient or do i really need the drag link upgrade as well as the upgraded links
            Originally posted by blkTJ
            If you get a HD tie rod you'll bend up your drag link.

:yay:
            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Not sure if I could justify the jump up 200-300$$ for the whole setup... especially when my drag link isn't bent YET!
              Bryan
              2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

Not sure if I could justify the jump up 200-300$$ for the whole setup... especially when my drag link isn't bent YET!
                your oil pan, gas tank and steering box arn't !!!!ed up yet either are they???
                myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                  your oil pan, gas tank and steering box arn't !!!!ed up yet either are they???
                  Exactly! Why wait until you have a problem (in the middle of a trail, out in the middle of the desert, where you won't have access to the parts you need)
                  olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Good point but the Currie can break too :yay: , so now you'll have a spare. Get the Currie set-up and bite the bullet, it also helps correcting the angles as well as being beefy. I've bashed mine one the rocks a few times w/o knocking the alignment out or any ill effects. It is probably the best "stock bolt-on" replacement out there, just do it.
                    I too have the Skidrow eng/trans plate, works good with the stock t/c skid, never had a problem except for draining the oil. Not sure about the Nth degree but their stuff looks good too.

B&T TJ

Comment

Jason sells the currie setup for $379, free shipping, no sales tax:
                      www.redrock4x4.com And he has the anti-rock setup for $279. Both are nice additions to a jeep. I added the steering box skid and the frame tie-in rod for the whole front end beef up. ALL Currie stuff. Yeah, it's expensive but it's good stuff.

I too have rammed my tie rod a few times, it's hell for stout. Yes, I gave Dukes my spare drag link last year on the 'con

I personally prefer the Nth degree pan guard, it's a real sano setup. I just haven't gotten a round-tuit for one. It's not one to get hung up on every little thing you crawl over.

Comment

I was unlucky enough to bend my tie rod on Aftershock a few weeks ago. Luckily I had a spare (thanks to Quinn @ All J Products). Blaine was able to do the switch over in about 7 to 10 minutes, it was awesome.

I now have the Currie setup (once again thanks to Quinn). and I have the spares as well.

But I am going to echo everyone else here. It doesn't matter how beefy you go, anything can break. But you don't want to go in with a known weak link. The drag link is just too important to getting you off the trail and home safely. Go with the Currie, I am sure there are plenty of other kits out there. The difference in my mind was that the Currie is on a lot of rigs, and everyone seems happy with it.

As far as the skid plates go, I have the skid row stuff and I have been happy. I like the engine skid because it protects the transmission and the oil pan, and it is a super easy install.

Comment

Gas Tank:
                          kilby or Toys by Troy.. @ 4x4 group buy the TBT ones are $50 cheaper, that's really the only appeal to the aluminum... anybody see the tbt in action?
                          The TBT skid sold on 4x4groupbuy is steel, not aluminum. They can custom make one for you (Stu has one) but I got the feeling it was one of those "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" deals.

At one point the TBT skid was an exact copy of Kilby's, even photocopied the instructions. It looks like it has been dropped an inch (following Warn's lead) to allow it to be installed on any TJ. With Kilby's it is an inch higher, but 2003s need a bl.

Patrick

Comment

you have rock rails yet? if not those would be on my list as well. I tend to make most of my own skids and bumpers and such. I've got the tools and the know how. tends to be a bit cheaper too since i'm only having to shell out for materials.

Can't wait, gonna get a Plasma cutter and a tube bender soon. then i will be able to build anything
                            YJ Master
                            Writer for Petersen's 4Wheel and Offroad Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by 92 Green YJ
                              you have rock rails yet? if not those would be on my list as well. I tend to make most of my own skids and bumpers and such. I've got the tools and the know how. tends to be a bit cheaper too since i'm only having to shell out for materials.

Can't wait, gonna get a Plasma cutter and a tube bender soon. then i will be able to build anything
                              He's got the best ones ever made!
                              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X