Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling

Went out this weekend and had an awesome time, the first "real" wheeling trip on rocks with the Jeep. One problem I faced (besides not really knowing what I am doing) is stalling the engine. The 2 things I know that will help with this are Hand Throttle or get an Automatic transmission. Auto would be my top choice but a bit too expensive to give any serious thought to right now. Hand throttle is nice and cheap but I have enough on my mind when wheeling I really do not want to add another item into the mix.

I have read that with the 4 cyc people go with a heavier flywheel to help reduce stalling. Its been awhile since I read this info, so its a little foggy. Any benefit of doing this on the I6 with AX-15 or am I totally misunderstanding why the heavier flywheel is used?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

What's your gearing and tire size?

Hand throttle will help, gearing will help. RatherBeJeeping went the heavier flywheel route, he can chime in on how hard it was to do. Hand throttle won't give you anywhere near the "on my mind" issues you think.

Auto will "solve" the problem - but sort of like burning down the house to get rid of the termites
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
      What's your gearing and tire size?
      Click his Jeep model for a dropdown.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Tires are 33s soon to 35s, gearing is 4.56.

Yes auto is extreme but it has an added lazy driving factor to it that is very appealing. Doing an auto swap is very very low possibility but being a solution I figured I would throw it in.

That is good to know about the hand throttle and I will keep it in mind as I try to make a decission.

Hopefully, RatherBeJeeping will chime in
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Gotta be an issue with the 4cyl torque curve - I've wheeled all of Big Bear, and most of the rest of the area with 33's/35's and 4.10's - but I have the 4.0

Soon to be 37's (three tires are on!) - but I'll have the Klune finished early next year.

Where were you wheeling Michael?
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
            Gotta be an issue with the 4cyl torque curve - I've wheeled all of Big Bear, and most of the rest of the area with 33's/35's and 4.10's - but I have the 4.0

Soon to be 37's (three tires are on!) - but I'll have the Klune finished early next year.

Where were you wheeling Michael?
            Just to be clear I have the 4.0 in my TJ. I think you missed that or Old Fart had a brain fart The 4 cyl came up because I have read about how people use a heavier flywheel to help with stalling in that engine.

This past weekend did a wash out in Apple Valley, lots of rocks to crawl over but in general when crawling over rocks I have problems stalling. It could be I just need to learn how to drive better but I am looking into other areas that might help me not stall as much.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Hey Michael,
              I think all of us that had manny's (except Rick) stalled a few times, some more than others, it just takes time in the saddle to get better. Some prefer auto's over manual's but that's a heated discussion we not need to have. That was a pretty nasty wash / rock garden that even the seasoned rigs had a few troubles(Rick too). Keep the stick and learn what a burning clutch smells like, you did well.

B&T TJ

Comment

Thanks Tom I know a lot of us were stalling and that with time, more than likely might it will not be an issue BUT I am always open to doing something to make my life a little easier. If a heavier flywheel or inertia ring will do the trick then I will give thought to doing that.
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Practice.

I have a stick too...and though Ive been doing it for a while, I still stall it. I think a hand throttle helps, I have one. But above all, practice.

You guys all did well It was cool to introduce all of you to your first real rock crawling experience

Tam
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Michael,
                    Please refer to the quote in your signature.

Get an auto, just do it!!

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Stalling.......

Do it right the first time! Don't Patch it!.........Save to install and Automatic!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                        Michael,
                        Please refer to the quote in your signature.

Get an auto, just do it!!

I know the perfect 1998 TJ that I ould take the auto out off...
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

manuals for the rocks are all about gearing.

I'd shoot for around 80-90:1 for 35s. more is better...

...or get an auto.

either way, learing how to control your vehicle well out there comes with practice.
                          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I have a 4.0 with 35s and 4.56 gears and a manual.

I can do most 4.0 trails without stalling. For me stalling only becomes an issue on the most severe hazards: 4.5

Like others have said it takes practice. Try a medium incline and run up there no gas, no clutch and no brakes See just how far the Jeep will go before it stalls. You may be surprised.

Then roll back down and try again. This time tap the gas just before it stalls and see how much further it goes. Keep at it until you can go all the way up just by tapping the gas.

I have a hand throttle but only use it very rarely. I used to use it a lot and slip the clutch like crazy but that is quite unnecessary. Now I really only use it to get over boulders on a steep descent where three legs are required.
                            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

So if I am hearing most people right, I should stop web wheeling and go hit some rocks.

Aston, I really like your suggestion and I know the perfect hill to try it on.

blkTJ, just say it... get an Atlas Currently I have 47.3:1 to get that 80-90 I would need the 5:1 Atlas
                              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                              X