Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really bad vibes when accellerating

at first it started off as a vibe when i take off.... i would hear my tuffy(metal) center console shake against the metal floor. Thought it was the tires at slow speeds.

NOW it's terrible. I have shakes all the way through 5th gear especially bad in 2nd and third when i'm getting speed.... at any time if i push down the clutch or throw it in neutral, the vibes go away. It doesn't happen in reverse.

Any ideas? Please say it's not and expensive fix.
    Bryan
    2003 black TJ 4.0 manual
    front-OX-35 rear-OX-44 4.88
    Rock-It Man rear bumper + rock rails, currie front bumper

Originally posted by Kaffa
    at first it started off as a vibe when i take off.... i would hear my tuffy(metal) center console shake against the metal floor. Thought it was the tires at slow speeds.

NOW it's terrible. I have shakes all the way through 5th gear especially bad in 2nd and third when i'm getting speed.... at any time if i push down the clutch or throw it in neutral, the vibes go away. It doesn't happen in reverse.

Any ideas? Please say it's not and expensive fix.
    sounds like the transmission mount to me.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...t_tj/index.asp
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Any other ideas? If it's that I'll just go ahead and do my Bellyup
      Bryan
      2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

It's not the trasmission mount as far as I can see. everything seems to look good on that. nothing is bent and all the bolts are on. no offroading was done between the time i noticed it and when it wasn't doing it.... first noticed it on the freeway when it was shaking in 5th still. was kinda odd.

could it need any sort of alignments(control arms? tires? steering?). the bent driveshaft? transmission? went out and played with it a bit and it seems like it does it in reverse too.... don't really know can't tell. there is some shakes but not sure if it's the tires or the problem above.
        Bryan
        2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

ujoint,,, engine miss?
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

Check that tranny mount agian. Mine was shot and I couldn't even tell untill I dropped the skid plate for something else. It looked fine as far as I could tell, but when I took it off it had two cracks lengthwise on either side of the two mounting bolts. Same thing though especially in 2nd and 3rd. Replace it with something better!:2:
            I have a Jeep

Comment

Replacing the U-joint tomorrow. All the symptoms point to that. It that doesn't fix it then on to the transmission mount!

Yay!
              Bryan
              2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

Originally posted by Kaffa
                Replacing the U-joint tomorrow.
                which one????:dunno:
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

That will be determined soon. :-)
                  Bryan
                  2003 black TJ 4.0 manual

Comment

1. sounds like a u-joint to me too.
                    2. bad pinion angle will cause this
                    3. missing teeth on the ring gear causes this too
                    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Does the vibration feel like it's right under your seat? If it does, might be your driveshaft is bent
                      Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

u joints won't vibrate at low speeds, bent driveshafts wiil. easy way to see is first isolate front or rear get all 4 wheels off the ground. in 2wd try it if no vibration put it in 4wd. put jack stands under the axles so it will still set like it does on the ground. if in 4 wheel disconnect rear driveshaft. does it stop? the transfer case will also cause a vibration. there is more after that. also i agree usually you cannot tell a bad mount till u drop the skid plate. I just lost an output shaft cause of a mount

Comment

Kaffa is a lame ass. one of his rear driveshaft u-joints was trashed. The neddles were gone and the trunions were beating the hell out of everything.
                          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                            Kaffa is a lame ass. one of his rear driveshaft u-joints was trashed. The neddles were gone and the trunions were beating the hell out of everything.
                            Do you think he lubed the new one? I saw what was left of the old one.

Comment

Working...
                            X