Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep sways back and forth

So I have had this problem for awhile. Before it was just an annoyance but when putting on the RE 4.5 coil springs it has gotten a lot worse.

When letting off the throttle quickly, my Jeep feels as if it shifts to the right then back to the left. It does not seems to actually steer that way.

I was told to check for cracked control arm mounts, ensure the track bar is nice and tight and inspect the sway bar.

Control arm mounts look good, nothing broken/cracked. Trackbar is nice and tight. Sway bar looks okay but no idea what I am looking for there other than the obvious.

Alignment is a little off, nothing major and one of the tires is out of balance not bad but it causes some vibes when going over 65.

98 TJ I6, D44 front/rear, RE 4.5 SF SA on 33 BFG MTs. Steering is custom crossover (not hi-steer, not inverted t) using WJ knuckles. No steering stabilizer.

Any suggestions?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Torque steer?
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
      Torque steer?
      Not sure what you mean but I think you mean that the torque of the engine is causing the body to feel like it shifts to one side, then yes that seem to be an accurate statement.

So, is this "normal" in a lifted TJ? I can't seem to think it would be because I am sure it would have been mentioned before.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Are you manual transmission? I don't know a hell of a lot about lifted coil spring vehicles, but I remember whan my friend Seth lifted his TJ - almost went over the side on the Coronado bridge a few times before he learned to "time" his shifts
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
          Are you manual transmission? I don't know a hell of a lot about lifted coil spring vehicles, but I remember whan my friend Seth lifted his TJ - almost went over the side on the Coronado bridge a few times before he learned to "time" his shifts
          Did your friend have a detroit locker in the rear?
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

torque steer king here, but that is usually when getting on the gas with a detroit. getting off the gas and feeling a shift is the oppisite, or lack of torque steer, LOL had to set that one up
            seriously
            I think it may be either you need a stiffer shock
            or your shocks are over extended
            you may need to have a set of shocks fitted to your lift
            it is important to get the correct shocks.
            to long or to short for the lift or travel cause problems
            as does to soft or to stiff for the load
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Manual Tranny, ARB both F/R.

Not sure how shocks would play into this but they are not over extended and I would not call them soft by any means
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Update:

drove the Jeep to work today for the first time in awhile (been using the Jetta to save on gas). It might be shock related. I notice even when driving straight on a relatively flat road that the front would sometimes seem to dip down on the passenger side and then "float" back up.

Another thought I had is maybe the shocks are shifting on the bar pins? I did not take a look this morning but I will check later to see if the shocks are centered on the pins.
                Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

shock valving?
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                    shock valving?
                    Could be but have no idea how to check that.

I am going to call Walker Evans next week and set it up to have my shocks all checked out. Of course that means my Jeep will be down for a few days.

Should have just bought some Fox Shocks...
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                      Should have just bought some Fox Shocks...
                      Yeah, but then they'd still be in the box and not on your Jeep!
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                        Yeah, but then they'd still be in the box and not on your Jeep!
                        True

Update #2: Well when getting home tonight I did a "shock load test". I pressed on the corner edge of the front bumper. The passenger side gives in a lot easier than the drivers. So it is settled, I will be sending the shocks back for a rebuild.
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Working...
                        X