Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in front wheel drive.

I had to pull my rear Drive shaft out and have been driving in front wheel drive.

When I turn sharp under power, My tires seem to buckle back and forth. Is this normal driving in front wheel drive for a jeep? I Repleced my front D30 with another D30 with 4.56 and ARB. We though we might not have tightned the knuckes down tight enough. Went back a retightned it and still there. Any ideas? The air line to the ARB in not attached so I dont think they are engaged for any reason.

Also, When I put my Speedo gear back on from doing a Tailshaft COnversion, it didnt seal properly and some fluids are coming out at the speedo gear. is there a trick to getting this on, Should I put a bead of RTV around the edge??
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Hey Dude, Call me.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
      I had to pull my rear Drive shaft out and have been driving in front wheel drive.

When I turn sharp under power, My tires seem to buckle back and forth. Is this normal driving in front wheel drive for a jeep? I Repleced my front D30 with another D30 with 4.56 and ARB. We though we might not have tightned the knuckes down tight enough. Went back a retightned it and still there. Any ideas? The air line to the ARB in not attached so I dont think they are engaged for any reason.

Also, When I put my Speedo gear back on from doing a Tailshaft COnversion, it didnt seal properly and some fluids are coming out at the speedo gear. is there a trick to getting this on, Should I put a bead of RTV around the edge??
      Well, since you wont call me, here it goes. DONT MAKE SHARP TURNS! the wheel is moving back and forth cause the the u-joint is at an extreme angle. On top of that you are probably feeling some torque steer, thats common. Just take it easy when driving in FWD. I did it for a month or 2 in my Jeep, just take it easy.

As for the speedo, it should seal. make sure you line the marks up for the correct gear. The gear housing should sit flush in there. If it does, and it still leaks, get a new o-ring. That should fix it. You shouldnt need RTV.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I am finally done with that mess. I got the new CV Driveshaft on there. I just have to set the ppinion angle now. I have very minmal vibed, bet they are there.
        I got my new drive shaft but there was no zerk fitting on there, it looked like the thre is a screw you can take out to put one in. I need to do that, right? How often do you lube your shaft?
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

How often do you lube your shaft?
          every oil change, or if it's JV season... before every run. :yay: :cactus:
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Try drivin on pavement in FWD with a locker, now that is fun. haha
            94' XJ,4.0,Tera Low 4:1
            D44/9inch, Locked, 36x14.50 TSL's and way to much lift

Comment

I am finally done with that mess. I got the new CV Driveshaft on there. I just have to set the ppinion angle now. I have very minmal vibed, bet they are there.
              I got my new drive shaft but there was no zerk fitting on there, it looked like the thre is a screw you can take out to put one in. I need to do that, right? How often do you lube your shaft?
              My CV drive shaft (Tom Woods) has 3 grease fittings: 2 zerks in the UJs and one in the center ball joint. It's a flush fitting with a sprung loaded ball. I have to jam a pointy needle thing in there to get the grease to flow.

Oh yeah - the only way to get to it is to drop the shaft
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Thanks, I forgot that there were other types of Zerks out there
                Supe

Comment

It is a PITA, but I know of CVs that have failed because of inadequate lubrication.
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X