Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE 4.5 Coil Springs

Those that run the RE 4.5 Coils on a TJ what do you think of them? Like them, hate them, actually lift from them?

Planning my upgrades needed to go with 35s and trying to decided which coils to use.

Thanks
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

RE 4.5 coils

Michael,
    I just installed mine after the Rubicon trip because the Currie 4" were too soft. The Curries were fine without a load, but with all the gear loaded, or with passengers, my bumpstops were less than 2" from the pads and I was bottoming out all the time. Recall I have a full bumper, rack, and 35" tire hanging on the back.

When I got back I ordered up the RE springs, they have a 215in/lbs rate vs. the Curries at 190. I installed them a couple of weeks ago and the ride is the same but I picked up at least an additional inch of lift, and with the higher rate they'll carry a load so much better.

Also, they are straight-wound springs and the Curries are progressive wound. The problem with the progressive is the softer coils just sit on each other under load, so it's worthless. Jason at Redrock4x4 says RE introduced some progressive wound springs some years back and had to pull them off the market because of that problem. BTW, check his prices, they're the best I've found anywhere. I paid $125 for the pair. Oh, and the Currie 4" fronts are just fine.

Bottomline, the RE springs are fantastic. I have a 1" BL and MML and 35's. Control arm angle is getting pretty steep but DS angle is still not too bad. Rid quality isn't bad with Rancho 9's, but certainly stiffer than stock!

I think Chris Fields (dukes69) has them on his rig too.

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the info. How much clearance do you have between the tires and fenders with the springs and BL?
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
        Chris,

Thanks for the info. How much clearance do you have between the tires and fenders with the springs and BL?
        enough to run 35s.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
          enough to run 35s.
          You read my mind
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Enuff cleerance....

LOL. Yeah, there's enough clearance for 35's.
            The stock fender flares (unloaded) sit up 8 3/4" on the rear. The fronts are still the Currie 4", they have 7 1/4" of clearance.

If you'll look at how my rig is sitting on the damn at the Rubicon trailhead you can see we had about 4" of clearance on the rear. Those springs are just too soft with a load.

I even spoke personally with John Currie one day when I was in there because I was having trouble with the shocks bottoming out with the shock shifters and bar pin eliminators. The combination of everything was leaving me short. His comment was of course, "We've never had a problem like that." But he admitted they don't load their rigs for camping, they trailer them to the trailhead/location and run them empty. With the rear rack and gear for two people for 4 days on the trail, that is quite a different animal.

I'll try and get a current pic later today and post it up in the gallery. I think it sits a little high in the rear, but once loaded, or with passengers in the backseat (remember I'm usually hauling a kid or two) it will be perfect.

If you're upgrading to 35's I would definitly recommend the RE 4.5's over everything except the Full Traction setup. I would do their long arm setup if I was starting from scratch and had the $$. I got a deal on my lift parts and that's why I ended up with the Currie stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X