Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Arms...?

I'm having trouble getting my 2 front lower control arms on. I've tried everything I know, is there any "special" trick to get front lower control arms on? I just cant seem to get it. Thanks!

Black 98 TJ Sport, L&B 62MM TBS, 2" RockyRoad BB,1" BL,MAKO 1" T-drop, Dynomax Exhaust, blahhhh

what type?
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

they are just replacement 2004 rubicon control arms, I cant get the holes to align

Black 98 TJ Sport, L&B 62MM TBS, 2" RockyRoad BB,1" BL,MAKO 1" T-drop, Dynomax Exhaust, blahhhh

Comment

Originally posted by JakesJeep
        they are just replacement 2004 rubicon control arms, I cant get the holes to align
        Depending on which way the lower axle mounts need to move you can try putting a jack under the pinion yoke and jacking it up a little. If you have taken both arms off at once (usually a mistake) then the axle is likely rotated backwards. Jacking under the pinion yoke should rotate it back
        [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]2001 TJ with stuff..[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
          Depending on which way the lower axle mounts need to move you can try putting a jack under the pinion yoke and jacking it up a little. If you have taken both arms off at once (usually a mistake) then the axle is likely rotated backwards. Jacking under the pinion yoke should rotate it back
          exactly, but...

Hopefully you haven't removed both at once. If you have, jack the jeep up from the belly skid and put jackstands(tall ones, the 6 ton craftsmans work) under the frame near the front control arm mounts. This will take some stress off the axle. Now you should be able to safely jack it up from the pinion to get the holes to line up. If that's not working try and jack up one side of the axle or the other to see if cycling the suspension helps. Then there's ratchet straps.

good luck.
          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

I speak from experience taking both off at once. Not one of my prouder moments.

An alignment punch can also be your best friend here to help get the bolt started once you get close to having them lined up

Comment

yeah i didnt know about that either and I took both off. I tried using a ratchet strap, and it gets to tight and doesnt pull it. I havent tried a hole punch/alignment punch yet, but will that really get the hole to stay?

Comment

You'll need to try what Brian suggested now. You'll probably need the jack under the pinion also and the alignment punch. Once you can get the punch through the mount and into the control arm you can use the leverage to get it lined up. If you use the alignment punch from one side of the control arm you can start the bolt in from the other side. You may need the ratchet strap as well to help.

Comment

I got it fixed. I jacked it up on the diff, then used peice of wood to push the axel down and then jacked up the half before the control arm. Something like that.
                  Last edited by JakesJeep; 08-13-05, 09:24 PM.

Comment

yeah, ummmm... I don't really understand that, but cool.
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

yeah me either but it worked hahaha

Comment

Working...
                      X